Would YOU do this trade for Rodgers??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 23, 2023.

?

Would you do this deal?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. No

61 vote(s)
    96.8%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

They will loose Love if that is the case or best case they eat both salaries with Love's fifth year option, and make Love very unhappy in the process. Instead they could have added horsepower for Love with our second pick. Waiting a year means they get nothing but grief across the board.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

No deal. That's not much less than two first-rounders for Lamar Jackson. If we're giving up that much, go with a guy who has a chance to be more than a short-term fix.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The packers would laugh at us for speaking to Jackson. Would we really give up 2 firsts and guarantee 200+ million?

We're already back loading contracts into future years, and with signing Hardman we're only 10 million under the cap. It takes 15 million to sign Rodgers this season, much less than Jackson. Then were hearing rumors of OBJ, Elliot, and other FA's, which is more cuts and back loading. We'll need another 20 million for the draft picks, and then there is Quinnen. It would be literal cap hell.

If we sign Jackson we'd have Jackson and bare bones the next few years, and he'd likely be hurt half the time. But at least we wouldn't have to pay 1st rounders until 2025.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  4. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

Sounds like Zack thought he was playing the role of Mike Maccagnan, not Joe Douglas

Jets79 likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If signed after the draft, we would give up 2024 and 2025 1st rounders and keep this years picks. To be frank I would do it. I would still prefer Rodgers, but even 39 going on 40 Rodgers has 110 mil guaranteed over two years. Lamar just turned 26. 200+ mil guaranteed over 5 years is not the craziest thing.

Nyjets4eva and JetFanInNE like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

As I understand it we would likely only be carrying 51 million of Rodgers money. 15 this season and 36 next season.

7. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

For that kind of money for a starting qb, especially a hall of fame qb , ! yr removed from a MVP season ,2 2nds is a steal

8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

@Zack Blatt and I played the role of the GM we cover and went back and forth (in Slack) until we reached a deal for Aaron Rodgers:
    -----

Matt: Hey, Zack. Ok, here's my first proposal: Jets send GB #13 and a conditional pick, plus Davis. GB's swaps back a third.

Zack: Hi! I'll be out of the office until Monday. If this is Matt, whatever you think is best. I trust you. Have a good weekend, everybody!

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We have no idea if JD will make Packers eat any of 110 mil left on his deal. But assuming it's a straight up trade Rodgers for say picks, we take over full 110 mil left in the deal for next 2 years. We will pay 58 mil cash in Sept, plus a mil or two in base salary throughout the year. Next Sept, assuming he plays, we will pay 48 mil cash and 1-2 mil in base salary throughout the year.

What you are referring to is CAP hit. These 110 mil we will pay him over next 2 years will be split CAP- wise something like: 15 this year, 35 next year, 30 year after, 30 year after. We are going to have to absorb a significant dead CAP for two years after Aaron retires, about 30 mil each (or 60 mil in one if we choose to tank). I am sure they can restructure a bit, maybe instead of 35 next year, it will be 25 mil, and then 35/35 of dead CAP after. But the point is that we WILL eventually (within two years after he retires) get a CAP hit of every penny we are paying him from that 110 guaranteed.

Which is why I think JD will get him for a 4th plus maybe a conditional 3d next year. Rodgers right now is grossly overpaid. He is getting paid most in NFL by wide margin. To absorb a contract like that and take that CAP hit is by itself a concession. That why Joe Banner was saying GB has no choice but to trade him, especially with them already having a starting QB on rookie deal. All we have to do is make an offer of what we are willing to give and wait for GB to take it. They have no other choice. Come draft time that high 4th round pick will look a lot better than not having it and just getting conditional 3d next year. GB will cave. We will just have to wait a month for it or until the point closer to the draft when GB realizes that a better offer is not coming.

#29 Borat, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Before people freak out about the dead cap hits in 25/26, the cap is also going to skyrocket to 280 and 300m with the new TV deals that kick in. We also don't need to pay Wilson or Sauce until '27 and AVT and Hall in '26. The Jets will also most likely have a cheap vet or rookie QB those years so it isn't as bad as it looks right now.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Which is why I am in support of this deal. But still, while it is not AS bad, it's a pretty huge hit. And think of it from GB side. They have a starting QB already. They are already effectively 40 mil behind in CAP for saving on Rodgers' numbers in prior years. Now add 110 mil to that if they keep Rodgers, whom they don't need. On top of actually paying this money, the unnecessary (since they already have a starter in Love) CAP hit is enormous. It would be insane for them to keep Rodgers.

The only way to get real value is to have more than one team want him. But with just one taker - if the Jets were not interested, they would be already screwed. In a way they are very lucky Jets want Rodgers. Lucky not to have to pay him. They have no choice but to get what they can and move on. Like Joe Banner, JD knows it. We just have to be a bit patient, and the price will be a lot smaller than majority of people think, maybe everyone except Joe Banner :).

12. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You wait this out. Bluff game until draft time and they have to cave. We don’t ever have to until September.

13. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Like Baseball the only way to give uo higher prospects (draft picks) if the other team absorbs a good chunk of the money.

I do believe the Jets are going to end up paying more than they initially thought or planned. Hopefully not much more which I trust JD.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Fuck no I wouldn't do that trade. If it's not around the same ballpark as the Favre trade, then I walk away.

People freak out when I say that but I'm perfectly okay with playing some bum next year. We always seem to pick years to play just good enough to miss out on legit QBs coming out of college.

Next year's QB class Is so fucking good with Caleb Williams and Drake Maye. They are going to be In that generationally viewed limelight come draft time next year.

If we allow the Packers to take advantage of us, what's to stop the next team from doing the same or worse?

Hard pass on that non-sense. With a hell fucking no for good measure.

#34 IIMeanDeanII, Mar 24, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    KY Jets Fan and ukjetsfan like this.
  15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The first round pick has to be off the table. Who are we bidding against? Nobody.

IIMeanDeanII, KY Jets Fan and LAJet like this.
  16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I do not want Rodgers at any price. We can still upgrade at QB and add more pieces in the draft. We are trending upwards. Rodgers would be fun, no doubt, and he would give us an outside shot at a championship, but he will be here for such a short period we should not give up solid future assets like No. 1 draft picks for him.

Borat and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

It's straightforward.

2023 2nd
    Conditional Pick 2024
    -3rd if Jets miss playoffs
    -2nd if Jets make playoffs, don't win Super Bowl
    -1st if Jets win Super Bowl

That is more than fair to both teams.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think they can get him for a third. But people will lose their minds with impatience before that happens.

IIMeanDeanII and stinkyB like this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Gee, what makes you say that?

abyzmul and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's a very complicated contract. Jason over at OTC wrote an article back in January that walks everyone through all of the situations that could unfold, I believe I've posted it before but I'll post it here again so everyone can take another look at it.

I'll try to sum up the big points for us below:

As soon as we trade for Rodgers, he counts at least 1.165M against the cap (base salary) and then we'd have to decide whether to pay him his 58.3M option bonus all at once or prorate that across the remainder of his contract which is technically through 2026. That would end up being 14.575M in each season (2023-2026). We'd have to prorate it as we're in no position to take on a 59M contract currently.

It gets even more difficult if he stays on for 2024. Essentially it's the same deal as 2023, he would have a 2.25M base salary and then has a 47M option bonus which you could also prorate over the rest of the contract. That would end up being 15.666M in each season left (2024-2026). Depending on what type of cap magic we could pull off in the next year it would be possible to absorb this cap hit but it's still unlikely IMO so this option would also be prorated.

This is most likely all we get out of Rodgers. I guess there's a chance he plays more than 2 years but I find it highly unlikely that Rodgers plays after 2024. On the off chance he does want to play in 2025, you're most likely going to have to restructure his deal because his salary is only 20.9M and there's no way Rodgers plays for that amount of money. Same for 2026 as his salary is only 15.05M.

So, what we end up with are 2 "relatively" cheap years in 2023 and 2024 (15.79M and 32.54M respectively) in terms of cap hits, but at the cost of kicking ~30M worth of dead cap into 2025 and 2026 because once you prorate that option bonus that's locked in and there's essentially a 0% chance Rodgers plays in 2025 or 2026 and definitely not at those cap figures.

I think that's the main hang up with this deal. The Jets want the Packers to take on more of his cap hit, especially if they're wanting any pick of significance. The Play Like a Jet podcast had a guest on today (I've already forgotten his name) that made a good point, in trades most of the time you're trading for the contract and not the player and this contract is beyond horrible. I honestly have no clue why the Packers did this last offseason, especially if they were this close to wanting to start the Jordan Love experience.