Jets trade WR Elijah Moore to Cleveland

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yes, it is 2 for 1, but there are only so many spots on the team. I think quality matters. And quality of early second is significantly better than that of early third. We basically replaced Moore and Berrios at WR with Lazard and Hardman, while upgrading to 2nd round pick from 3d. This is not bad.

As far as using Moore, we tried him on go routes on the outside, and he was bad. He was then switched with GW and was in the slot and did better, but not great. I think now we have Davis as a starting big slot, with Lazard also playing snaps there. Lazard played 43% career snaps at slot. Blocking will improve a lot as Moore was a shit blocker. Hardman is a backup slot and a ST player, basically Berrios replacement, not Moore's one.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  2. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Look, I understand its a business. The way I see it is we trade away another young player, rookie contract, Hardman is always hurt and wide receiver becomes a big need seeing as both Davis (if he isn't cut or traded) and Hardman have 1 year deals.

So after next year, that leaves Lazard and Wilson. Also, any injuries this year and we are fucked

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The value of the tradeup was Moore valued as an early 3rd round pick. I'd much rather we just found a trade partner to give us that pick.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's interesting that so many posters here defending Moore, making excuses for him because "he's young and immature", and "It's tough to give up on him because he's young and has so much potential", ignoring his hissy fits and showing himself to be a "me first" guy, and yet they can't give that same consideration to Zach Wilson. SMH.

hornblower, JetFanInNE and Nyjets4eva like this.
  5. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Giving up a 3rd in the deal makes very little sense. Depending on how desperate the Jets are to land AR, there is a very real chance the Jets may be left with just one pick (#13) in the first three rounds after the Rodgers deal. And then they go and pay $5M more for a one year rental who is older and comparable in skill to Elijah when they have to shell out $60M for a QB. Sounds like we're back to the usual ass backwards stuff.

6. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I thought Moore had potential after seeing him play his Rookie year, and he still might, but it seemed it just wasn't meant to be here. All the pleasantries aside, when a guy throws a fit and publicly demands a trade that can never be 100% mended with the coaches and the locker room no matter what anyone said. It's likely we needed the pick for the Rodgers trade, Hardman is a good 1 year stop gap with crazy speed and I think that Mims can fill his role without any loss of production.

7. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Wilson sucks. big difference. Moore has proven he can play in the NFL – and will probably develop into a nice slot WR. Moore just knew LaBum sucked. This had nothing to do with Moore's character. JD needs assets to get the Rodgers deal done. he made a few shrewd personnel moves to get him more ammo and protect our premium picks – and still get us Rodgers. Browns had called about Moore last year before the trade deadline. He was the most optimal of the young core to deal because GWilson became the focal point of the offense and Zach Wilson had no clue how to move to his 2nd or 3rd reads.

So after this, pretty sure we get our T and C out of this draft. More than likely we trade back from 13 to get an additional #2 aswell.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That's totally NOT what @ColoradoContrails wanted to hear... :confused:

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Drug abuse? Trouble with the law? Getting thrown out of games and practices? I must have missed those stories. What I saw was a guy who wanted to be given more opportunities to put more points on the board. I want 53 guys who are hungry for more opportunities.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"BRIGHT LIGHTS"....
    [​IMG]

"biG sHiTTy"....
    [​IMG]

Happy trails Elijah.......you lucky stiff!!!!

Nyjets4eva and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

You must be able to see the pain in his eyes. He literally never missed a game before last year.

Mogriffjr and Lon Chaney like this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Not the greatest ROI, but not bad considering the dude's probably a PIA and the staff was over it.
    I'm assuming a 2nd pick is going to Green Bay; and hopefully that theyre using their 1st 2 picks on O-lineman...

13. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

You all do understand we are trading draft picks,perhaps players, to Green Bay? For the Jets, and Woody, the future is now, and that future is AR. So this trade gives us a better draft position to offer. I can't imagine JD didn't offer Moore to GB in the negotiations, and I assume (we know that's usually a misjudgement but so what) GB prefers a pick. You have to pay up to get something good. I do trust JD to make that payment as less onerous as possible. What is the complaint? We traded a "me first" guy (perhaps we all are deep down) that was replaced anyway, as part of the AR package. Get over it, Woody will apply pressure to bring in AR. Losing Moore is a small price.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good point. That would really suck

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It might be a little but Elijah was the 1 and then 2/3 option here while Hardman has always been KC's 3/4 option.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Being hungry for opportunities is one thing, but taking it to the level of asking for a trade even when the team is winning is not something the team needs. Say we didn't trade him. We'd have Lazard, Davis, GW with him. What if these guys do better and get most opportunities by merit? Frankly last year Davis and GW both outperformed Moore. Lazard could too this year. If Moore won't get the ball much again, who is to say he won't be asking far a trade and cursing out coaches again? It already happened, and now he is in his 3d year, not even second.

Also, I saw a guy who was subpair anyway given these opportunities with White and Flacco too, not just Zach. At the end of the day, let's see what happens with the pick we got, the pick we gave up, how Moore performs, how our WR perform. I think when it is all said and done, we will be happy with the trade.

17. GodDamnedSnack

If you watch any YouTube channels that analyze all 22 film (like Kurt Warner) it has been shown that Moore consistently gives up on routes half way through a play. This has led to many incompletions and a couple interceptions due to the defender that was covering him moving to the ball because he recognized that Moore gave up. Being a good route runner doesn't matter if you don't do it consistently. He also demanded a trade during the best stretch this team has had in 8 years. Good riddance.

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The more I see on Twitter and think about yesterday, the more I think Hardman and Elijah aren't connected. With Connor Hughes tweeting out that the Jets interest is "very real" with OBJ, I get the sense that they want OBJ to be Elijah's replacement and Hardman is Berrios' replacement.

Elijah has a ton of upside but he also showed that he is very much a "me-first" kinda player with his trade request last year. I'm sure that didn't sit well with JD, Saleh, etc. and they've remembered that for these past few months. That also doesn't seem to be the type of player that JD and the FO have drafted/signed over the last few years.

It would've been nice to see what he could do with a QB like Rodgers but I'm not going to lose any sleep over his departure either, and getting the equivalent of an early 3rd rounder for a guy who's accumulated 984 yards and 6 TDs in 2 years seems like decent value to me.

I'll be interested to see how he does in Cleveland and how they utilize him with Amari and DPJ already in the fold.

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not sure why character concerns can only mean doing drugs and getting arrested but there’s no chance I’m getting into this with you.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

good point, that hurts. Sad to see Moore go. They will need to draft another wideout

Moore has his flaws but good organizations develop players and work through their flaws, they don’t give up at the first challenge in the road

Ralebird, ouchy and blackssmagic like this.