Jets trade WR Elijah Moore to Cleveland

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Mar 22, 2023.

1. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Who have we gotten rid of or committed to long term that mortgages the future?

KY Jets Fan and KingRoach like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, getting S. Payton would've been great, but Saleh wasn't going to be fired this year. He showed enough improvement, and was able to lay off the lousy offense on MLF, that he wasn't going to be let go. But I do think he's on the hot seat this year. He'll have an experienced OC, and an upgrade at QB no matter what happens, and two polarizing figures are gone (MW and EM). If he can't get them at least to the playoffs (and farther is they get Rodgers), he might well be done.

NYJetsO12 and burf like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how you see it, but in a team whose offense was rapidly unraveling amidst QB woes, an OC that was struggling to get some resemblance of an offense back, for him to get in a confrontation with MLF and request a trade because he was not getting any touches was not the way to handle business. Particularly since his production while targeted was not close to last year. Having said that, I don’t think JD traded him because of what Moore did, but rather because he had solid value to another team and we needed the pick. If GB wanted Moore as part of the AR trade that would have taken precedence. He was a good asset but not in-expendable.

KY Jets Fan, Borat, KingRoach and 2 others like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In simple terms, it's like what Branch Rickey once said: "Addition by subtraction", anything else is gravy.

NYJetsO12, Trainer and Borat like this.
  5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I’m going to wildly speculate (or speculate wildly) and say GB did want Moore but since they were dragging ass and not accepting the offer on the table, JD removed the offer and showed that offer wasn’t coming back.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s true, he was acting like a bitch and did it the wrong way. But this is a trend and it started with Revis to Sheldon Richardson saying he wants a $100 million contract and onto Leonard Williams and Adams.

It’s a known fact that you can get out of East Rutherford if you want to. Obviously Jamal Adams worked out well for us but if Elijah Moore catches 85 balls for 1,100 yards next year or years after, we lost.

LAJet, papapump and blackssmagic like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There’s also no chance the Packers wanted to pair Elijah Moore with a first time starting head coach. Moore wants to produce to get paid on his second contract and his clock is ticking.

And if they did want him and Douglas decided to trade him to a different team in place of giving him to the Packers instead of a draft pick well then that’s probably silly.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think this was that bad a move for the jets. ANY second year player who demands a trade must be pretty impressed with himself; Moore was a decent jet, but so far he has been more potential than performance. Would not be surprised if MIms gets moved too (for a late pick, if that) since he wanted a trade too.

I get the argument that Zach Wilson stinks, so Moore and Mims' stats suffered under Zach. However, trade requests are NOT generally appreciated, welcomed, or forgotten by coaches or GMs, as Moore just found out. Moore may thrive with the Browns, but if he doesn't catch balls from Watson then Moore is out of excuses.

papapump and ouchy like this.
  9. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Astounding the people here who know the deep inner thoughts of NFL GMs and coaches across the league. They speak so confidently about their inner thoughts. Amazing stuff

Ralebird and hornblower like this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I only wish Moore woulda been dealt to the Rams... :cool:

11. endydee

endydee Active Member

Not only does the trade of Elijah Moore, give the Jets a second rounder to use in trade for Aaron Rodgers, it also frees up the number 8 for Rodgers to wear as he did in college. Oh perfect! Just sayin’.

Ralebird, Acad23 and ouchy like this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The only way Saleh or anyone else gets moved is if Rodgers tells Woody to do it. :D (kidding)
    Sounds like Woody thinks Rodgers is their savior, and he might be, but it is sure looking like we'll find out

ouchy likes this.
  13. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Exactly what this is. Get a malcontent away from the other young players before the well is poisoned.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I think that this is one of those situations where no matter which side you’re on you should still be able to accept the validity of the other perspective. Yea he was a punk ass bitch. Yes he dogged it on the field and he played slow in pads. He also missed simple shit like getting 2 feet inbounds. His attitude sucked and it affected his play. For that shit I say see ya. But he’s young and could mature, and at some point there was talent seen in him. It sucks to give up on that after 2 years, especially when we’ve just done the same at QB. It’s makes JD’s draft look really bad. To the point that he’s lucky as hell that he hit a grand slam last year, and those guys better keep producing like studs. Oh yeah, and Rodgers better win. Douglas has everything on the line and he got rid of Moore. That’s a big statement.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The only problem I have with the deal is that there are a *lot* of great 3rd round prospects in this draft. it's a lot thicker than your typical draft in that range and so the 74 likely would have been a player for us. That makes the 74 + Moore for the 42 an exchange of two useful pieces for possibly a better piece.

We can't do this over and over again without paying a price in terms of fielding a quality roster with talent on the field and good depth. Apparently we haven't learned this lesson after two decades of bundling talent to move up.

blackssmagic likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

soon after we drafted Elijiah there was a vid of him working out in a park with some other dues.... Elijiah looked super good. He looked unstoppable and I was thrilled we got him.

This ain't the one but it's still fun to watch.....ya, I wish we had kept him and seen him blossom. Anyway, fast forward to around 7mins

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

In this draft there are quite a few early second round guys who are similar to mid 1st. We can probably get a starting C and a DT with these two early second rounders. Third round while solid is not going to get you a high probability starter that early second can.

Also, let's be honest, Moore stunk last year. Even if you take out completely non existent production with Zach, even with White throwing for 300 yards in 3 games, even when Flacco was throwing for 300+ in the first 3 games, Moore wasn't very good. Gave up on routes, poor blocking, couldn't get feet inbounds. Performance wasn't there. On top of it, he was a me first guy, demanding a trade when the team was winning, even though he was just in his second year and had whopping 538 yards in the first year.

To be able to upgrade from 3d and get a high second for him, which means a high probability starter, is a good thing. Now, drafting him in the first place with a high second turned out to be a mistake, but that's in the past. Given his performance in the two years and attitude, this was a really good move by JD right now.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think you forgot to say "no Romo".

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What @Br4d was saying is that its another 2 for 1 trade though. Also, Moore was used wrong which is a big reason he didn't develop. He has an elite acceleration that's comparable to Waddle, and we should have used him like they used Waddle. We shoulda got more for him.

20. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

We should of gotten more for Moore? A dude who hasn’t produced much at all? If trades were all made on potential alone, maybe sure. But there were many other factors and for that I think JD did very well!

hornblower and Borat like this.