What's your idea of "FAIR" compensation for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soh_vet, Mar 15, 2023.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

One aspect of this deal that I think is affecting things is that Douglas wants to prove that he's a serious negotiator and that the Jets are no longer doormats. Going up against a proven winning and competent organization like the Packers is a good way to do that. I think JD is fully prepared to walk away to achieve this end, which will mean more in the long run than whatever shorter term gain Rodgers is likely to bring. Of course he can't know the future any more than anyone else, nor can can know what will happen if Rodgers doesn't become a Jet. It's possible that if he walks away he forfeits a SB they could win with Rodgers, but even though I think winning a SB with Rodgers is a decent possibility (assuming most of the other holes in the team are patched), it's certainly not a slam dunk. OTOH, beating the Packers in this negotiation will elevate the Jets reputation as no longer pushovers.

I'm torn about this, because at my age I don't know how many more years I have to wait to see them win a SB, but I really want them to finally become a serious and sustainable contender where every year brings a good chance of winning a SB. I think Douglas has that goal too, so I'm going to have to just sit and hope that he can achieve both: win the GB negotiation, and finish the job of making them champs.

UK_Chilts, Borat, JetFanInNE and 3 others like this.
  2. DCanadian

DCanadian Active Member

There's 60 million reasons why that's the case.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I mean if Rodgers was a free agent or something, hell yeah. Bring him in on a short term deal like Brady to Buccaneers, I would love it

but trading for him? Paying him $100 million and bailing out the Packers? WTF

joelip likes this.
  4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I agree. I also think they should bring Ty Johnson back. He's only 26. I like his game.

joelip and Br4d like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

Of course. That is an absurd contract

6. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm getting up there, too! But I'll be damned if I on my death bed have to hear that the same old Jets are still being exploited by smarter, shrewder, more successful teams!

7. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I agree. Patience is the way the Jets win this trade. We don't need him here before the draft. We don't need him here for OTA's (but it would be nice.) We don't need him here before training camp, but again it would be nice. We don't technically even need him, but it would be great to have him. There are other options out there that would upgrade our qb situation if this doesn't happen.
    Green Bay, however can't take that big salary cap hit come week 1 if he is on their team. They don't want him anywhere near their training camp. Jordan Love would request a trade, their locker room would be a PR nightmare with ALL questions from reporters centering around Rogers. There are no other teams willing to take on his contract that he would agree to go to...
    So, as fans, we have to wait it out. It sucks, and we all want it to be a done deal, but I would rather wait and get him for nothing than just make a deal and give up more than they have to.

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You are making a big deal out of nothing and being insulting along the way.

You are adding nothing of importance to this conversation and are clearly just trolling at this point.

You have literally contributed nothing to this conversation.

..and

It's not one or the other.

Fact Is, Peter King suggested It would take the Jets two first round picks to obtain Aaron Rodgers and that Woody Johnson would happily fork over that type of compensation. Those are his words.

I don't give a shit If he had an actual source or that was just his opinion. The point was that those words came out of his mouth.

You are being absolutely ridiculous over something really fucking petty.

Let it go.

#228 IIMeanDeanII, Mar 22, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I like him too. He's cheap and he's a punisher out of the backfield, and he's not all that bad at getting to the edge.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

My comment, which still hold true… was “that’s not what he said”.

Thats it ~ I have a problem with people who by accident or purpose spread misinformation. I think it’s a problem in society. If you want me to stop talking about it, stop fucking replying and stop spreading misinformation.

You interpreted his words differently than Webster’s Dictionary taught us in school. Cool. But don’t spread your misinterpretation (words have definitions) of his statement and expect me not to get annoyed enough to reply.

I’ve been pretty fucking consistent over the years about my opinions for misinformation so if you think I’m going to read complete lies like “that’s what came out of his mouth” (assuming you still mean “the Jets will need to pay 2 1sts for AR) and let it go, you’re delusional.

11. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

The million dollar question though is will Woody allow him to walk away? He’s pretty publicly all-in on Rodgers, how does Woody save face if JD walks away?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Screw Woody's face. Good owners don't undercut their competent GM's bargaining position by gushing about a possible acquisition before a deal has been finalized. Woody should realize that he laid an egg and keep quiet and let JD do his work.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think the writing is now on the wall for a 2nd round pick for Rodgers plus Corey Davis and a conditional 2024.

The Packers have nothing at WR beyond Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs and no veterans. Davis would be a very logical fit

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

I literally linked you the fucking articles, guy. He did say those things. What are you on about? What part did he not say?

..and I could give two shits about your world view on society, It doesn't apply to me, I could care less.

I am not spreading misinformation, you aren't the fucking expert on all things "accurate" In the world.

How about you get off your high horse and learn how to properly communicate Instead of thinking you are smarter than everyone else at the table.

He did speculate It would take TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS for the NYJ to acquire Aaron Rodgers and that WOODY JOHNSON would be more than happy to pay that cost.

15. KingRoach

He didn’t say the Jets will need to pay 2 1sts for Rodgers.

You provide links to people talking about what he said…. Here’s a link to what he said:

“So, how possible is it? Well, consider that Rodgers’ cap numbers in the next two seasons would be $48.3 million, combined. That’s certainly manageable. As for the compensation due Green Bay, my guess is the Pack would want at least two first-round picks”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/23/fmia-divisional-brock-purdy-49ers-bengals-eagles/

He never said the Jets would need to pay 2 1sts. Let it go and accept you’re the problem in the world.

#235 KingRoach, Mar 22, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  16. IIMeanDeanII

In his Football Morning in America column this week, Peter King of NBC Sports believes the Packers would want at least two first-round picks in a trade for Rodgers. “The Woody Johnson Jets, desperate for a star QB almost since the Broadway Joe days, would happily pay that freight, I’d guess,” King says.

Three things you need to know apart from the four games:

The fate of Aaron Rodgers. Adam Schefter reported Saturday—with very little couching—about the 39-year-old Rodgers’ future that it’s a “real possibility Aaron Rodgers is going to be traded” in the off-season. Schefter often puts governors or conditions on his reports, but not so much here about the Packers’ starter for the past 15 seasons. “Make no mistake: Both sides are fully aware that a trade is a very real scenario this off-season for Aaron Rodgers,” Schefter said.

The possibilities are delicious. Rodgers to the Jets, maybe re-teaming with ex-Pack aide Nathaniel Hackett, who has interviewed for the New York offensive coordinator job. Or Rodgers to the Patriots, which seems very Belichickian, to perhaps give Mac Jones two learning seasons in the shadows. Or Rodgers to Vegas, if Tom Brady doesn’t beat him there. Or Rodgers to Seattle, which is seventh in cap room in 2023 and has four picks in the draft’s top 55. You could think of 10 more.

So, how possible is it? Well, consider that Rodgers’ cap numbers in the next two seasons would be $48.3 million, combined. That’s certainly manageable. As for the compensation due Green Bay, my guess is the Pack would want at least two first-round picks. The Woody Johnson Jets, desperate for a star QB almost since the Broadway Joe days, would happily pay that freight, I’d guess. But would Rodgers accept a deal to the Jets? We shall see.

This Is from his column, his area, In which he puts HIS thoughts, on HIS fucking page. This was HIS suggestion.

How are you trying to say he didn't say It when the evidence Is right here? You can't misinterpret this?

Whatever though, I'm done with It now. You are literally trolling at this point.

17. KingRoach

You should have been done with it 11 replies ago.

He never said the Jets would need to pay 2 1sts. He said the Packers would probably want 2 1sts.

It’s not that complicated (for people with basic reading comprehension and a grasp of the English language)

18. IIMeanDeanII

...and It's not that complicated to understand that I obviously meant It the way In which It was said. You are just being anal for no fucking reason.

The way In which he said It, he was suggesting that the packers would wan two first round picks for him. All of It was speculation, which I established a long ass time ago.

The reason I stated It the way I did Is because the opposite of what he said would be just that. The NYJ would NEED to give up TWO first round picks.

HIs guess Is that the packers would want two first round picks..

What's the opposite of that, Roach? What's that suggest the NYJ would NEED to do In order to get him?

Correct. Give up two first round picks.

It's not hard to fucking understand what I was saying, you are the one that wanted to get anal about all of this for no fucking reason.

You do you though. Like I said..

19. BrowningNagle

Wow that’s an annoying back and forth

fuck Peter King anyway. He’s a piece of shit who cares what he says ever

KingRoach likes this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This flamewar is damp.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.