What's your idea of "FAIR" compensation for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soh_vet, Mar 15, 2023.

1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Awesome info, thanks.

2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

You called the guy a clown and gave a reason.

I’m saying the reason is bs.

If you want to dislike someone, you do you. Basing the reason on a misquote is stupid.

So based on what he did say;

You don’t like him bc he said “the Packers would probably want 2 1st rd picks for Rodgers”… basing the reason on the actual quote is just as stupid.

#182 KingRoach, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It did happen. He literally suggested It would take two first round picks for the NYJ to acquire, Rodgers. I'm not fabricating shit. Read. It's not hard.

He Is a clown for a lot of reasons, this Is just one, and I certainly don't owe you an explanation.

Your input and opinion Is noted, idgaf, but It's noted.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Everything after “Jets and Packers pretty much agreed on the basic compensation” screams they haven’t agreed on compensation.

KY Jets Fan and Ralebird like this.
  5. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

This is an awful lot of compensation for a player whose physical abilities are clearly declining and who shows more interest in retiring than in playing. If AR has another mediocre year and is one-and-done after 2023, JD is going to look awfully foolish for giving away so much for a player in the twilight of his career.

And the stuff about the Packers wanting the Jets to eat AR's contract obligations: the Packers seem to be acting as if it was the Jets' responsibility for the outrageous contract the Packers drew up!

I think the Jets should tell the Packers to come back with more reasonable offers, all the while checking out possibilities of Jackson, Stafford, and every other quarterback with a pulse. Let the Packers take responsibility for AR's unhappiness with Packers' management and for the bloated contract they drew up for him.

To quote Joe Banner, taking the hardball approach would be “the real sign of whether the Jets have changed under [Joe] Douglas and gotten smart and have the ability to do what the really smart teams in the league do,” Banner said.

6. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Borat likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Blatantly wrong but doubling down anyway.

#187 BacktoQueens, Mar 21, 2023
    IIMeanDeanII and abyzmul like this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Correct he suggested it would take two firsts.
    Now he’s suggesting the packers “compromise”, and “only” take a first and a second.

He’s negotiating with himself apparently as his starting point was so off base to begin with.
    The Jets aren’t going to offer that.

#188 BacktoQueens, Mar 21, 2023
    IIMeanDeanII and Jets79 like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Good discussion. You could see Banner is a shark. He knows leverage when he sees it. Check this out: “How do I think this ends? My guess is that the Jets surrender a second-round pick in the next couple of weeks. What I think should happen, however, is that they offer something more modest — maybe a fourth-round pick – then sit back and wait for the Packers to say ‘yes’, because how can they say no?” Banner is saying 2nd round pick straight up for Rodgers, and nothing next year is an overpay, but JD will do it. He is suggesting 4th rounder straight up is what should happen. And you know what - he would probably get him for a 4th rounder, though he would have to wait for August to do it.

I am going out on a limb here and say we keep 1st and 2nd this year. We will need to give up a 3d this year, and probably a conditional pick next year. Although I am not sure JD is offering conditional 1st next year either. Maybe another 3d that can only be a 1 if we win a SB. Though now listening to Banner, I think JD is trying to get the deal done with the 4th rounder alone this year.

10. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

The more this goes on, the clearer I am that JD should call the Packers' bluff and let the negotiation go past this year's draft. At that point, JD offers a conditional 3rd round pick in 2024 that can escalate to a 1st round pick plus a 3rd round pick in 2025 that can also escalate to a 1st round pick. Tell the Packers to take the two picks or leave them, and see if they really want to accept paying 59M to have AR sit home, have him in camp poisoning the atmosphere, accepting AR back as the starter and having Love (who by most accounts is ready to start) demand a trade, etc.

The compensation I propose allows JD to use ALL his 2023 picks to strengthen the team around AR for a possible championship run, and also limits the damage to the Jets' future to two 3rd round picks if AR has another bad/injured season and retires after the 2023 season. On the other hand, if AR tears up the league and leads the Jets to a 2023 Super Bowl and reups for 2024, the Packers end up with two number 1 picks. If the Packers think that two number 1 picks are not enough for a 2-year AR rental, screw them: we'll continue to build the team for a 2024 run at the championship.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets give up a lot of 2nd round value for QB's that don't work out for them. Hopefully Rodgers is an exception to the rule.

Clemens, G Smith, Hackenberg, 3x for Sam Darnold abd now apparently Rodgers.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think this will have any 2025 conditional picks. I just think JD is made more of Banner mold and the offer he has is something similar to what Banner is saying. Now, I don't think 4th alone will get this done, and he will probably concede the 3d, plus something next year, likely another 3d. The more this goes on the more I think we will not be giving away 1st or 2nd neither this nor next year. An exception could be us winning a SB.

13. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

If the Jets can get AR for 2023 and 2024 3rd round picks, I'd be overjoyed. I'm just thinking that the Packers are in face-saving mode and so would more likely agree to conditional picks that could transition to 2 first round picks if the Jets get to the Super Bowl.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The issue with waiting that long is you put yourself behind the 8-ball in terms of potential "package deals" (trades) that Rodgers could bring to NY or potential FAs's that are still available.

This is not me saying I want to give them our 1st rounder this year but if moving the '23 pick from a 4th to a 3rd or a 3rd to a 2nd moves this across the finish line? I'd have to seriously consider it. I think the only way GB gets a 1st out of this deal is if AR comes in and leads us to a SB appearance/title in '23, but at that point I think we'd all be ok with giving that pick up.

joelip likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's why we gotta wait. As Banner said, make an offer that's not big, and just wait for them to say yes, because they have no other choice. He also had a video on it and his point is that given no other takers, GB have to get this done. While Jets want to get this done. He discussed what happens if the trade does not happen. For the Jets it is more like they will not have as good a season. For the Packers taking on this contract (60 mil on top of 40 mil they already owe, plus possibly another 50 mil), not playing Love, etc, it's a huge hit for years to come. So, he thinks GB will eventually take any offer to get rid of Rodgers, while for the Jets, as bad as losing Rodgers may be for 1 year, it's not a long term thing, and more of a want vs for Packers it is a need.

We will see. Patience at this point is the key, and I think JD will get a really good deal, which may not even involve 1st or 2nd. Could be done on the draft night. Maybe when Jets are on the clock with the 74th pick :)

ColoradoContrails and joelip like this.
  16. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's hard to save face when you gave a 38 year old QB who perennially threatens to retire a guaranteed contract that lets him drag out the drama to opening day.

The Packers need to come to grips with how this situation is *all* their fault and make the concessions necessary to get out of it or they need to take him back and stop worrying about it.

Lon Chaney, joelip and Borat like this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

There are no more packages left, KY. He got us Lazard. Top FAs are dried up. JD can get us 2 more high end / good starters in the draft with 13 and 43. Also, everyone knows Rodgers is coming eventually, so I don't think we are going to lose remaining FAs worth talking about for not having him. Now, we wait until the draft. I would say even a draft day 3, when our 4th is called is not out of the question. But I think JD will eventually give a 3d. In between of what Banner is saying the Jets will do and what he would do. :)

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I guess I meant package deals in the sense that JD might try to capitalize on our window and really go "all-in" for a SB in '23 and '24 by trading draft picks for established starters at certain positions (OL, DL, S, etc.).

Borat and joelip like this.
  20. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Interesting take. You may have a point that potential trades in which we get players for future picks will be worth getting the AR deal tied up quickly. The question that arises for me, though, is how many trades for highly salaried veterans can we fit in under our salary cap, after the signings of AR and 2023 free agents?

Borat and KY Jets Fan like this.