What's your idea of "FAIR" compensation for Rodgers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soh_vet, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

96%?

2. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Don’t waste your time man, I’ve been trying to remind people for the last two months how little is gained by getting rid of Zach and they’re still running with this tired shit

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

He didn’t say that… so there’s that.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Google Is a fun resource... So... There's that as well. Fun.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. KingRoach

Then start using google and stop using 4chan.

Spreading misinformation is done by some out of spite and others out of stupidity. Which reason fits you?

6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

"Consider that Rodgers’ cap numbers in the next two seasons would be $48.3 million, combined," King wrote. "That’s certainly manageable. As for the compensation due Green Bay, my guess is the Pack would want at least two first-round picks."

BacktoQueens likes this.
  7. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

LOL two what? They can kick rocks and JD usually fleeces in trades like 95% of the time. I don’t think he wants to even give up one so this is gonna go on for a min. Unless the owner does something dumb.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The possibilities are delicious. Rodgers to the Jets, maybe re-teaming with ex-Pack aide Nathaniel Hackett, who has interviewed for the New York offensive coordinator job. Or Rodgers to the Patriots, which seems very Belichickian, to perhaps give Mac Jones two learning seasons in the shadows. Or Rodgers to Vegas, if Tom Brady doesn’t beat him there. Or Rodgers to Seattle, which is seventh in cap room in 2023 and has four picks in the draft’s top 55. You could think of 10 more.

So, how possible is it? Well, consider that Rodgers’ cap numbers in the next two seasons would be $48.3 million, combined. That’s certainly manageable. As for the compensation due Green Bay, my guess is the Pack would want at least two first-round picks. The Woody Johnson Jets, desperate for a star QB almost since the Broadway Joe days, would happily pay that freight, I’d guess. But would Rodgers accept a deal to the Jets? We shall see.”

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That being said... F-THAT.

I'm OK with them ponying up a 1st rder..... AFTER required performance criteria / tenure time with the JETS is met. So earliest that could happen would be 2024 or 2025

but I am biasedly in favor of this quote:

“Memo to Aaron Rodgers: Take the Jets’ gig for the next two years. Your life has been about adventure. (Weirdness too, but adventure.) Imagine going down as the best for this franchise since Joe Willie Namath off-off-Broadway. That’d be a cool way to end a great career.”

BrowningNagle likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

If JD had been willing to give up the 13th overall pick, this deal would’ve been done already

Clearly he is not willing to do that, so we are in limbo…the draft is really the only deadline that has a meaningful impact, so this could drag on a while.

I do think the compensation needs to be a pick this year (would love it to be a third but may need to be a second) and then conditional next year, or actually, I do like King’s thoughts around a conditional 2025 pick based on if/how much Rodgers plays next year in 2024

I am NOT down on that condition becoming a first rounder on something light like play 100 snaps…to me it would need to be based on if we get to the Super Bowl…say a 4th rounder in 2025 that can become a 2nd rounder if we make the playoffs and a first rounder if we make the Super Bowl…

Who knows, but I seriously doubt JD is willing to part with 13 overall for a one year that may become a two year rental on an aging QB…yes he’s the best we’ve had since Namath, yes there are really no other legitimately good options, but a first round pick is a 4 year with a 5th year option deal on a top 20 player…you don’t give that up for a one maybe two year rental of an aging QB, even if he is AR

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Lol if we're taking on a big contract and giving up two first rounders, just go get Lamar Jackson.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I "Liked" your comment, not because I think they should get Lamar - I don't - but taking on a big contract and giving up 2 first rounders would be equally dumb. The only "plus" for getting Lamar is that he's a lot younger, but that's like saying getting a 4 year old Dodge Challenger is better than getting a 15 year old Porsche.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'm gonna be so happy when this trade gets finalized.

I'll also be fine if I never read/hear the term "leverage" ever again.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  14. KingRoach

Exactly.

Factual reporting vs. Opinion

Want vs. Need

This is really basic stuff.

side note: he’s probably right, the packers probably do want 2 1st rd picks.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...-first-rounders-aaron-rodgers-peter-king-says

https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/king-thinks-jets-would-trade-two-first-rounders-for-rodgers

https://elitesportsny.com/2023/03/0...jets-may-have-to-offer-to-land-aaron-rodgers/

First few articles that popped up.

Cool story though....

It's funny how confident you're trying to be right now though. Good times.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Leverage, period. I would send this article to the Packers with a deadline.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. KingRoach

Want vs. Need

Look it up.

PS. He was 100% right, the Packers do want 2 #1s

18. IIMeanDeanII

You know what I meant.. You are trying to be too cute.

You do you though. Yikes.

19. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

We need Rodgers badly enough to give up a first, but more than one first would be an absurd over-pay.

20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

This is a post form a poster that has access into the JETS ORG. His info is 99% accurate so sit tight and enjoy this info cause its not speculation:

Here is what is going on:

• Jets and Packers pretty much agreed on the basic compensation: 2nd + conditional + a player for Rodgers. Jets want the Packers to take on more money + send an additional Day 3 pick whereas the Packers want the Jets to take on more money otherwise send more compensation.
    • If/when Rodgers is traded, the Packers lose an additional $8.7 million and would be on their books for $40.3 million in 2023 instead of $31.6 million if he's on the roster. The Jets wanted them to take on more money by restructuring his contract and converting some of the option bonus into a signing/roster bonus. My guess is the Jets would cave on this (if they haven't already), but would want a Day 3 pick thrown in.
    • The Packers don't want to take on any more money in the Rodgers deal. In fact, they want the Jets to take on money for Corey Davis. The Jets can do that by converting $9.4 million into a guaranteed salary/bonus, in which case he would only be on the books for $1.1 million for the Packers. If not, the Packers want the Jets to add value to the deal, which the Jets think is BS since they had the basic parameters in place. The Jets feel its the Packers responsibility to renegotiate Davis contract, not theirs, but the Packers see it as a way to get a good player under contract for virtually nothing (and would seemingly "make up" for the $8.7 million additional loss they take on for trading Rodgers).
    • There are also rumors that the Packers are playing hardball because they're annoyed with Rodgers and how he basically trashed them on the way out. Gutekunst never liked Rodgers but basically was forced into making nice with him, so this is his way of saying F u for all that you put me through. I don't know much from their perspective so hard to say whether that's real or not

If there was a deadline to make a deal, they would figure it out. Right now there isn't any. My guess is it ultimately gets done at the owner's meeting next week. If not then, it can drag out until the draft until one or both sides cave.