Aaron Rodgers confirms he wants to play for the JETS!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

NY Jets68 and AG3 like this.
  2. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

LAJet likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Liked this part...

Banner believes how the Jets handle this will be a test of where they are as an organization.

“This is the real sign of whether the Jets have changed under [Joe] Douglas and gotten smart and have the ability to do what the really smart teams in the league do,” Banner said.

“Or are they going to be like they’ve been for a while and not make the smartest decision and not having great success in the field? To me, this is a moment where we’ll see.”

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Wow. The guy is basically saying some of the things we discussed here on this board. "Banner said the Jets could put a scare into the Packers by bringing in another high-profile quarterback for a visit." "Banner said Rodgers could push things further still." "This is why Banner said he would not offer a first-round pick... He said he would not even give up a second-round pick, but suspects the Jets eventually will." “If I’m the Jets, I’m getting him for as little as I can, and I am absolutely not putting a one at risk, no matter what,” Banner said. “Why put a one on the table when all you’re gaining is getting him a little bit sooner maybe? The Packers have to cave at some point.”

The guys really knows what he is talking about. Says he would not even give up a second, but think the Jets will eventually. And that's the maximum I was saying as well. Basically all that's happening right now is that GB is trying to see if JD is an idiot. All JD has to do do is wait and not increase the offer he already has, and before the draft it will happen.

5. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Just trade for Stafford, he's only 35, can give more than Rodgers can give 2yrs if we're lucky, this has drug out far to long

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Expert: Jets have all the leverage, Jets just need to wait the Packers out to get the deal that they want.

Jets fans: OMG this is taking too long! Do something now! I have been trained to expect things immediately!

Woody: The fans are impatient, give Green Bay whatever they want! Fans aren't buying tickets yet!

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on.

8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Me as well... The entire article is basically a summation of a few posters on TGG. That last little blurb is what really stuck out to me, and he's absolutely right. HAVE we "jumped the shark" towards a "big boy" NFL club or are we going to continue to be the Same Ole' Jets? I'm certainly praying for the former!

Acad23, Borat and LAJet like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He also said that Rodgers could walk into the Packers front office and basically force the trade to happen. There been no word of that, because deep down Rodgers wants to remain a Packer.

Which means there's always a chance for option 3. GB and Rodgers make up and Rodgers starts for them one more year.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

At this point I'm of the opinion that news wise, there is very little for us to get worked up about as there will be no decision on AR till we get close to the draft day. JD will hold his ground unless Woody gets impatient and fucks things up for us. However, my gut tells me there are a couple of moves in work to beef up this team in free agency. JD is playing his normal quiet, under the radar role and will do what's best for the Jets. Let some of our marginal free agents go and upgrade the position. Wouldn't be surprised if he stirs the pot by starting a rumor about interest on Stafford and Donald combo deal to get GB on notice.
    As a minimum, I feel a complimentary piece to Q in the middle is coming and potentially one more WR, and even safety. If we do not bring Kwon back LB might be at play too. OL is more problematic as there are very few options worth pursuing but depth is still in play.. If we are lucky enough to capture one more jewel or two like what we did with Reed we could be scary to play against on both sides of the ball.

11. mezzavo

You "could" be right... Obviously it's a bunch of hearsay, but, I've read from multiple sources that say the Packers are fed up with him. As in way beyond football. Of course, winning, or the potential of winning can change a lot of minds but don't you "get the feeling" they've been trying to move on for a couple years? they said as much in 2020 and then the guy went out and put up TWO MVP seasons back to back. So, in 2022 they trade away his favorite "toy" and shake up the team and he STILL has a better season than any Jets QB in the last, what, decade and a half?

My guess is they've hit critical mass there. Joran Love would be essentially a wasted pick if they don't do something right now. There's a piece to this that I've only heard mildly mentioned and that's the more the Packers jerk this along the madder Rodgers gets. Let me tell you, with our defense and THREE Rookies of the year (face it, Breece would have been ROY had he not gone down) this team with a "Mad as Hell" Rodgers would be near unstoppable, barring any major injuries of course. If we can get MVP season out of Rodgers the NY Jets would be in a great position to end the drought.

ColoradoContrails, NOVAJET and jixxjr like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree 100% Mezz. Many of us here at TGG were far closer to the facts than the majority of "the sky is falling media" fueled by non sensical inputs from the likes of Mike Tanny, Bruschi, Stephen A, Schefty, and most of the rutabagas than give Greenberg "so called" expert advice in his show with zero access to either the Jets or AR. . JD is definitely on the right path to jump the shark if Woody stays in the background and does not direct action with his impatience.

13. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-...f-an-aaron-rodgers-trade-between-jets-packers

There's always a chance that players could be involved. The Packers could use a wide receiver after losing Allen Lazard to the Jets. The Packers' Matt LaFleur coached receiver Corey Davis when they were together with the Tennessee Titans. Davis could be deemed expendable with Lazard's arrival.

There's also the thought that the Packers, in lieu of a first-round pick, could ask for a player who was once graded highly on their draft board. The Jets have several players who might appeal to them. With a surplus of defensive ends, perhaps Jermaine Johnson -- a late first-round pick in 2022 -- would do the trick.

It would be a miracle if JD could somehow ship Davis in the deal to lessen the draft pick blow given his injury history.

14. mezzavo

That really is it, isn't it? If Woody can keep himself OUT of the equation then I have no doubt, from what little I've seen of them, that Saleh and Douglas can build us a winning franchise that continues to be competitive year in and out.

Some may disagree but I want NO part of what the Rams did nor the Buccaneers. I want NO part of loading up on the HOPE that we will win it all. There are far more examples of that failing, firstly, than succeeding and look at the Rams. They are a SHELL. When Baker Mayfield is your "lone" bright spot from a 2022 season then you've got real issues. And, he isn't even staying with the team to backup/take over for Stafford!

No, I want what the Steelers have, the 49'ers...these teams consistently in the conversation when playoff time comes around. When they have a "down" year you still feel like they are competitive! I prefer re-load as opposed to re-tool. Just my own opinion on that one. I'm a looooong time Jets fan and want to see the team win it all but I want it done correctly.

If ownership keeps the meddling down we can be that team. Heck, as a side note, I see the same thing happening in Detroit, too. (FINALLY! lol)

burf, ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

On the money, is not a coincidence that teams with long term solid ownership like SF, Pittsburg, Philadelphia, KC, even the Giants among others, always find the way back to long term success, while others flounder for ever. In fact even with Dallas, the meddling style of ownership is a curse as much as is a success.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I know you didn't say this, but getting Rodgers for a year or two isn't inconsistent with building a sustainable winner...as long as they get him at the right price. AR would allow the Jets to instantly become a winning team, maybe not a SB champ, but in the conversation, and would show the young players what winning looks and feels like, as well as giving the Jets the credibility they've lacked since at least Parcells was here.

All that sad, and as impactful as he could be, the Jets shouldn't panic. If they don't get him, then continue building to JD's blueprint and eventually the sustained success will come. Of course I may be dead by then, but at least I'll have moved on knowing they're on the right path.

LAJet likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The best teams have a circle of competence in the owner's suite and executive offices that persists from generation to generation. That brain trust keeps the product on the field strong because it collectively knows when it is time to switch gears, bump a HC or GM upstairs and promote from within to keep the franchise vital.

There are maybe a half dozen teams like that in football at this point. The Steelers and the Packers are the two best franchises in football and they do this by relentlessly pursuing the things that are most important to their success in the moment. Both franchises have half an eye on the next 3 seasons and the other half on today. The Packers are pushing a Hall of Fame QB away for the second time in a generation and both times it was because the guy was no good to them 3 years in the future. They needed to setup the transition while the guy was still good because trying to do so after the collapse was going to be very hard. Probably most importantly there are multiple eyes on the problem from a roughly co-equal standpoint and they're always talking about where they are in the moment and where they need to be tomorrow, next year and 3 years out.

The Jets have no way to get from where they are to where the best franchises are because they have nobody in the building who understands how to mix today's needs with tomorrow's and still keep half an eye on 3 years in the future.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

A lot of good points, but I do believe JD always has his vision firmly into the future, but the ownership is planted in the now, because of a long history of failures.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

While Joe Banner is one of the most accomplished executives in NFL history and he is essentially saying some of the things we have been saying on this board, here is the crazy thing. Mike Tannenbaum was basically saying earlier that GB has all the cards. That GB is in the driver seat, because on June 1st they will get a CAP relief. He does not realize that tomorrow Rodgers can change his mind, and they get nothing. Or he can just come to camp and say I am honoring my contract, and they are stuck with 110 mil dollar bill. That the Jets might actually draft a QB. That Zach or that new QB may come to OTAs and look amazing and the Jets may change their mind. That there are still other QB options there for the Jets, such as Lamar, possibly a trade for Stafford, Mariotta, etc. GB has no other options. They HAVE TO trade Rodgers or they will need to pay 60 mil cash in Sept and add to their CAP for years to come. That if they wait until June 2nd, they won't get picks this year.

And finally, the kicker, Tannenbaum does not even know that June 1st CAP relief is not actually a relief. It's just a split of the same CAP number into two years as opposed to taking all in 1 year. And he was actually the Jets GM for quite a few years, and wasn't even the worst one. That's how bad we had it, folks. Different story now with JD.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If JD had any part of his vision fixed on the future he would never trade up.

The future is about what your roster looks like in 3 years and you always lose that battle with 3 for 1 trade ups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.