Aaron Rodgers confirms he wants to play for the JETS!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I actually think Wingo’s source is with the Jets. Aaron Rodgers made a quick comment about how it’s funny how some of the noted Jets fan media members are the ones that have the right information. Which leads me to believe he thinks Wingo is getting the information from the Jets.

2. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Which would then mean the trade is 99% done and will be announced in the next few days. As Wingo said. He said it will not drag on and do not believe the media reports.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It does not mean that. I tried to make sense of it all since the beginning. Honestly when the clock struck 12 on Monday and we didn't hear anything with the reports saying everyone is waiting on Arod, I thought he may not be coming, because it was in his interest to start recruiting. However, that report was wrong. When reports came out that he actually did start recruiting for the Jets, and then now confirmed by Arod himself that he informed teams on Friday, everything makes sense. And the most plausible explanation now is the one Rodgers mentioned: Packers and Jets did not agree on trade compensation.

If the deal were 99% done, it would not take this long. Wingo is guessing it will be done soon. It's a guess. What Wingo knew was that Arod informed the teams. Whether it was from Arod or from the Jets, doesn't matter. But things that are 99% done with both teams highly motivated, do not take that long to complete. That was a guestimate, and the time it already took implies it is way off. Getting done soon (from saying fully done 3 days ago) is guess. There is a gap right now, and it is likely a big gap. It could be a difference between #13 and second round pick. Heck, maybe as some pointed out Packers want to wait until June 1st and take the Jets pick next year if we do not offer #13. We don't really know. But it is not 99% if it takes 6 days since Arod let the teams know.

All I know is that this is not yet done, and I do not want JD to give up #13. If it takes post June 1, so be it. Hopefully Wingo's guess is right and it will get done sooner rather than later. If GB wants a pick in this draft, it will. And it better not be #13.

SOJAZ and KY Jets Fan like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with the others who said the only way GB gets #13 is if they give us #15, and even at that I'd prefer the Jets say "No thanks".

But this isn't an ordinary trade in many ways. Perhaps chief among them is that the Packers need to show their fans that their not giving up a legend for peanuts, and the Jets need to show their fans that they're not going to be disrespected and humbled by GB by paying more than they should. We'll see who has the stronger stomach.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If the trade is set to be post June 1 can draft picks this April be included as part of that?

6. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Navigating the leverage (correct me if I'm wrong):

GB's "leverage": The Jets have nowhere else to turn. We can hold onto him him all summer, up until his option bonus is due, giving him no offseason with the new team.

Jets/Rodgers' leverage: GB doesn't want me back. GB does not want to pay me the $58mil option bonus. No team has $60mil in cap space to accommodate a trade for me unless I restructure my deal. I will only restructure for the NYJ.

Seems to me one side has a bit more leverage than the other, assuming they're willing to not have Rodgers around for training camp. There's no way GB brings him back. GB honestly seems a bit petty in this situation.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

There is also a very good chance the compensation was in fact agreed on which is why the Jets went out and talked to him. Douglas has been okay with FAs, but I think he has been stellar in the trade market since he joined here.

I find it very hard to believe that JD let all the leverage and other options dry up so we are stuck with our you know what in our hands being the desperate franchise needing to give up whatever it takes to get AR. There is a very good chance that the Packers and that FO are negotiating in bad faith since they don't want to end up with egg on their face with Rodgers and their fanbase. How long can the Packers drag this out? This is an awful look for them and horrible optics if they let it drag out with their most talented player in franchise history (as AR said himself). If other teams ever got wind of the Packers agreeing then coming back to negotiate in bad faith it will be awful for that FO in the NFL circles.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

In a gentlemen's agreement, one team asks the other team to pick Player X for them.

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Then that guy gets traded? How much of a stink would that raise?
    Not to mention there's no guarantees Player X would be available

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I heard Bart Scott mention this a few weeks back on the radio. You have to have complete trust that the other team won't F you. All of a sudden you take player X and then the other team says no thanks and now you are stuck with player X

11. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Ha, some leverage! Do they not know we’ll turn just about anywhere for a QB? We fielded Zach Wilson, Mike F’n White, and the ghost of Joe Flacco last year!

12. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If the Packers are really holding out for this unreasonable compensation because they know the Jets are all in on Rodgers and have few options, that's pretty shitty. As Rodgers said, "do right" by one of the best players in franchise history and a 15-year Packer. He wants this to happen, they don't want him so they want this to happen, just make it a reasonable trade. The Favre trade in 08' is 100% the model. The Stafford trade as a comparison is laughable. The guy is going to play for one season, maybe two. Really bad look for the Packers if true - I thought they were a classier organization

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, but at this point the best tactic is to hold tight for as long as possible, continue with proper free agency as if AR is signed, and let GB sweet it out with their fan base. The closer we get to the draft the more leverage we have. Something tells me after the original discussion with GB they changed their mind regarding compensation.

SOJAZ likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Much easier said than done to move on as normal as if Aaron Rodgers is going to be our quarterback. Imagine trying to convince a player that has multiple offers that our quarterback is going to be a guy that isn’t on the roster yet. Yes he most likely will end up on the roster but if money is equal and you have a contending team vying for your services alongside the Jets who don’t actually have a quarterback yet… I know who I’m choosing.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

True, we are caught in a catch 22 situation, but if we simply walk away we have that problem in spades, and if we give two much compensation we hurt ourselves even more, as the draft is our primary source of long term talent.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No, this is not done this way. And there is no June 1st trade designation. If it is done after June 1, they won't get any draft picks this year for us, it will be next year.

stinkyB likes this.
  17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Rodgers interview made me like JD even more. It also gave JD any possible leverage he could ever need.

The world knows the Packers are holding out for the jets to flinch and over pay.. JD knew this before anyone, and now he can basically tell GB to suck off until he gets what he thinks it's a fair deal for the Jets.

There's nobody else in on Rodgers. The Packers want to play Love. Rodgers is guaranteed 60 plus million no matter what. The Packers are totally boned. There's zero chance Rodgers can be on the team.

Give them a third, and possibly escalation to a 2 if you have some sort of compassion. JD is the best GM I've seen the Jets have.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  18. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

You guys are discussing lies.

The trade is 99% done. It's agreed upon and will be announced in the next couple days. Maybe even today.

There is no reason to doubt Trey Wingo, as he has been right about everything. Ignore all the media. Wingo says it's already done.

#958 AG3, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Wingo was wrong. He said the deal was done. It wasn't. That's not just media reporting - that's a fact. Also: Aaron just came out himself and said the Packers are holding things up. Should we doubt him too, because WIngo said it is 99% done? Kudos to Wingo for knowing Arod informed the teams, but it was a lie that the deal was done. It's been 6 days since he informed. Arod said it himself: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-delayed-by-packers-asking-price-for-star-qb/

Come on now, let's be reasonable here. Wingo knew Arod agreed to play for the Jets. That's it. Now he is another media member guessing. No one knows when the deal gets done now. Even Rodgers himself refuted that now and called out the Packers for holding the trade for the longest tenured Packer when he wants to move on. At this point Wingo is not a source any more. This could get done in a few mins or it could take months. I suspect GB will break before the draft. When exactly? Your guess is as good as mine ... or Wingo's.

Ralebird, SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

What lies are you referring to?. If its 99% agreed to, I have to presume the compensation package is nailed down, and both parties should be willing to at least say something positive about the status without dwelling on the details. Don't you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.