Aaron Rodgers Watch - Clock Ticking

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYGalPal, Mar 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Baltimore has to be already 33 mil under CAP since they extended him a tag. So, to me for the Jets to try to get down by a lot more than that is not wise. You basically cannot sign anyone else for 5 days, and Baltimore can do a few more restructures and still get that number. To me the poison pill is the guaranteed amount. That was the main sticking point for them anyway. We may have to offer Lamar a Deshaun deal, fully guaranteed and see if Baltimore matches. The good thing here is that the 1st year will have low CAP hit. For Deshaun it was only 9 mil. So, we will still be able to sign FAs. Yes, we may lose Jimmy G in these 5 days, but honestly I don't like Jimmy anyway that much and it's not like FAs will want to come to the Jets more because of Jimmy.

So, if I am JD the plan is this: noon today is the deadline for Aaron. If Aaron doesn't agree by then, first call to Lamar. Get him in here, give him Dashaun deal. No poison pills aside from fully guaranteed deal. 1st year 9 mil CAP hit like for Deshaun, so we can still pursue other FAs.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And here's why "the cap isn't real" is a terrible justification for handing Lamar a fully guaranteed deal.

IIMeanDeanII and cmcm750203 like this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm pumped for Jacoby Brissett!

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am sorry but you have proven the opposite. Last year Deshaun counted 9 mil against the CAP. This yeah they pushed the can again down the road, and he only counts 19. And they will keep pushing. Then eventually they will pay and suck for a year or two and probably get a 1st overall pick but if anything this proves you can get an expensive players and still create a decent window to compete.

5. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Damn, they better hope the cap goes up like 200% by 2027.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m not really in the Go Get Lamar camp. He is so unique and is a huge difference maker for sure, but he was in one of the best run organizations. They literally created the entire offense around him and his unique skills. I have like ZERO faith that we’d be able to build such a system around him…our coaches are not that great. In addition, I consider Baltimore one of the best run franchises in the league. There’s a reason they are not ponying up the deal he is asking for. And they know him better than anyone. I just think the last two years with the injuries are not going to get better going forward…they’ll probably get worse based on the style of ball that he plays. That is not the kind of QB to give guaranteed deals to…someone like a Farve back in the day, or a Peyton or Brady or Rodgers…these guys didn’t miss many games…that’s a safer bet. But Lamar, as exciting as he is, is a whole different story.

I’d probably prefer to go to someone like a Jimmy G and continue to beef up the team and keep drafting QBs honestly.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. cmcm750203

Idk, they keep pushing that down the road then the cap hit the last year will be well over 100 mil and they’ll have to field an entire team of nobodies. Or somehow convince other players to keep restructuring. It doesn’t seem like a sustainable thing. This isn’t one of those usual contracts where the salary is voidable if they cut him. Every cent of that contract is counting against their cap at some point.

Borat likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

What? You literally just explained why it's a terrible idea.

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why It's still real. Eventually that Is going to catch up to them. Consequences are still a thing with these ridiculous contracts.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I agree, it is not sustainable forever. But you can get yourself a decent enough window, and then take a year "off". Then back at it again. It's like what would you prefer: be a top contender for 3 years then suck for a year or be a solid team for 5 years, but not really a top contender? I think most would prefer to contend, suck for a year where the CAP comes off plus get a good draft pick, then at it again.

Also, this has nothing to do whether the deal is fully guaranteed or not. If you have a top QB out of rookie deal, you will need to pay and it will eventually count against the CAP.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

To contend for several years, then take a year off, have the CAP come off and pick up top pick and be at it again is a terrible idea? Agree to disagree.

12. cmcm750203

The NFL is gonna have to do something about the cap if fully guaranteed contracts become a norm (which they should).

13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

In 2025 and 2026 the cap is going to be nearly 300m. You keep kicking the can down the road and the difference in cap increase pays for the later cap hit. The cap doesn't exist, it's bullshit and will always remain bullshit.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Do I need to remind you that the Jets just took 12 years off? It's OK for the CAP to eventually catch up and you end up sucking for a year or even two before retooling, while in the meantime you compete for SB with a good QB for quite a few years.

15. BroadwayAaron

I'll leave it at this... there's a reason only the Browns are attempting this route and why some of the most QB-needy teams are publicly saying they have no interest in trying it out. Because it's a horrendous idea.

LAJet and Jets79 like this.
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Did Carr sign that contract with the Saints yet? Get on that Jet, Woody!

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The bonus can be paid any time between league year open and first day of the regular season.

ConcordeChops likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The only party under heavy pressure right now is the Packers. So at least Rodger's silence works in our favor there.

bicketybam likes this.
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Good: I moved all my meetings from today to tomorrow and Wednesday. Free all day as a bird and I have laptop on my lap and ESPN open. Watching ESPN during a weekday for the first time ever. If Rodgers news breaks today, I will fully enjoy it and secure my season ticket accordingly.

Bad: My Tuesday and Wednesday are now full of meetings with zero breathing room. If Rodgers news doesn't break today and it does on Tuesday or Wednesday, I will curse at Aaron so bad he will hear my curses all the way from California.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  20. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I mean in fairness, if we passed on Carr to get Rodgers, then whiff on Rodgers, don't get Lamar, likely miss on Jimmy G in this case and end up with ??? I wouldn't quite blame anyone.

My thing all along with this is that this is the risk the Jets took by going this route. They have to get Arod or we're going to be pretty screwed and probably pivot to Stafford. They also knew this could happen and be handcuffed entering the tampering period. My question is why would Arod handcuff his potentially new team from making as many quality moves as possible to support him? Doesn't make sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.