Jets releasing Berrios

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Mar 9, 2023.

1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

See what happens when you drop a potential game winning catch kids..... ;)

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I was a massive Berrios fan coming off of 2021 but he was a huge disappointment in 2022. Part of the blame goes on MLF for trying to make the guy our featured slot receiver which he absolutely is not. But he even took a step back in the return game. Pretty big bummer but if he wasn’t willing to restructure then yeah this seems like the right move.

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

With this move and the Uzomah restructure, I believe that puts us about 7M under the cap.

KingRoach and Lon Chaney like this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Agreed @BroadwayZach Wasn't a bad deal at the time. Pretty obvious cut candidate.

I'm interested in what they do with Corey Davis. One possibility is they cut him and replace him with Lazzard? Maybe that was discussed at the Malibu summit lol

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm curious what they're gonna do with SoMoseley? He's how much against the Cap? $21M?

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Thank God,

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I was thinking Berrios was the obvious cut candidate - a no brainer really. He stunk last year. In fact, Smith is already better than him right now and was more productive. That's 5 mil saved. But Davis to me is a keeper. 10.5 mil for a capable big receiver who is an outstanding blocker. It sucks that he's been hurt a lot, but still 10.5 mil for a guy like that is a bargain now days. If we get Lazard, we may even trade him later - there will be takers. But Davis is a good player, and without him we are quite shallow at WR with not too many good options in free agency.

dmw and Lon Chaney like this.
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

You have to be on the field to be a good player though. He's missed 35% of the games since he's been here and that doesn't even include him coming in and out of games for minor things. Time to move on from Davis.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He improved last year and played in 76% of available games and was 2nd best receiver for us. For 10.5 mil, who are you getting that's better? If you get someone that's better, you can trade him - CAP hit is low for this caliber and there will be takers.

Jets79 likes this.
  11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

DJ Chark, Allen Lazard, or Jakobi Meyers come to mind. Spotrac has the the last two @ 12.5m/year, but they are better than Davis. If they get Rodgers that means they are all in within the next two years- Go give up a future pick to grab Hopkins from Arizona. Throw a dart at OBJ, see what Michael Thomas wants after he is cut for a one year rental to try and boost his value. There are plenty of options out there that are better than Corey Davis.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You think you can get them for 10.5? I highly doubt we can get for 12.5 either. I think it will cost way more. And if you can get them, you can actually trade Corey and get assets back. Anyway, if it is me, I am not releasing Davis - at least unless we can secure someone better, then I would get value back in a trade. Let's see what JD can do. If Rodgers gets here, maybe these guys would actually want to come with him, and it will be easier to get it done.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I think the peroxide he used seeped into his brain last year. Anyways, I wish him well.

dmw likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good move, hes a bum

JETFUEL1580 and Nyjets4eva like this.
  15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I like him, but he's a below average WR and his returns just haven't been worth his salary.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Lon Chaney likes this.
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't dislike Davis. I don't love him either. His cap hit is 11.1 million. They save 10.5 by cutting him.

What is Lazard going to get? Predications I saw were in the 11-13 million range and can be manipulated to not cripple the cap this year. I'm just thinking Lazard and AR have familiarly. It will cost more, but he is a better player IMO.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I wonder if there will be much of a demand for him, given how disappointing his 2022 season was. Is it possible he ends up back here on a minimum salary deal, or at least much lower than his contract was for? I get that he refused to restructure, or wouldn't restructure enough, but if he gets no other offers he may be willing to come back.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  18. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Does that mean we ll have an actual PR who won’t call too many fair catches and actually run?

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Once he bleached his hair, he fell into mediocrity

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I was happy they resigned him last offseason, but he was disappointing in 22' along with some big miscues. Pair that with his cap hit and this move was a no-brainer

ColoradoContrails likes this.