Lamar Jackson

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 7, 2023.

?

Should the Jets go after Lamar?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Do you mind if I ask what you're basing this off of?

PFF had him near the top of the league last year in quite a few of some of their advanced metrics. 6th in the league in BTT% (Big Time Throw Rate), tied for 5th best (with Mahomes and Andy Dalton) for TWP% (TO Worthy Play Rate) at 2.3, tied for 10th in aDOT, and this was all in a "down year" for Lamar, definitely his worst year as a full-time starter.

There's definitely some drawbacks to going after and acquiring Lamar but I've never felt like his decision-making was one of those.

2. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

It’s always hard to evaluate passing stats of athletic QB’s. How much of that success came from the athleticism? Take the athleticism away, is he still a good pocket QB? Stats don’t necessarily bear that out, honestly nothing does until you actually take away his athleticism and see what he can do. But for the deal LJ is looking for you really need that answer, because his athleticism won’t be there forever.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't disagree with anything you've said here which is why I looked at rates instead of sheer volume.

Especially the BTT% and TWP%. Him having a better BTT% than Burrow & Mahomes and being tied with Mahomes for TWP% in a "down year" makes me think that he can function as a pocket passer. You obviously don't want to take away one of Lamar's greatest strengths (his athleticism) before you absolutely have to but I think the stats indicate he can still be a good QB if that aspect of his game starts to diminish over the next few years.

4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

5. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

Lamar Jackson is clearly the best long term option, but he's going to require a lot of compensation. 2 firsts + a fully guaranteed contract. It's a big ask. I like the idea of giving up a first + for Rodgers more.

6. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

A whiff on Lamar here can potentially put the team in the gutter for 4 or 5 seasons. All depends how lucky the Jets are feeling.

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Guy is dumber than a box of hammers. His demands are outrageous.

8. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

He's to talented not to shine. Wilson is worlds better the Hollywood Brown and Bateman.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I also believe 100% that if he had the contract he fights through and plays last year, but no way to ever prove that, just my own belief.

10. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

SMH

The issue is, he is constantly exposing his body to hits and this is going to take a toll. It will take a toll on Derrick Henry, so it will certainly take a toll on him.

11. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

and he's going to lose a step or two as each year passes.

12. dawinner127

I should be the one SMH at your comparison.

Derrick Henry is getting tackled 300+ times a year. Completely different running styles. Henry is aggressive and taking on contact, Lamar isn't.

You would be a fool to believe the hits won't eventually add up, but to act like it's the same as one of the most used RBs (or any RB for that matter) is absurd.

Lamar threw for 36 TDs in his MVP year and is only 26. The ability is there and the weapons here in NY are better than the dogshit he has in Baltimore on the outside and in the backfield.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. bicketybam

I believe if he had enough brains to have hired an agent, he would have had that contract. The guy is an idiot. Talented, yes. Smart, far from it.

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. DetroitRed

That’s why I never said it was the same. The ridiculous, not injured in the pocket take, is what is so comical

all the people mystified as to why he is not getting the Deshaun Watson contract, should not be. Teams are not going to invest big money on a slight quarterback , that heavily relies on running the football. It’s a stupid, long term investment.

15. dawinner127

Everyone is worried about him getting hurt as a runner. Neither injury occurred when he was running. Not much more to say.

This thread can probably be put to bed anyways, Rodgers is to NY is almost done.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  16. DetroitRed

Again, it’s not about which specific play he got hurt on. That is a laughable take. And the guy who tweeted that needs to get a new job or get some more experience in his field

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

So true. Jackson runs like a running back not a QB. Low to the ground, avoiding hits, he knows how to "fall."

I'd argue that Josh Allen is at a greater risk for injury long term in the running game because he runs so upright and of course makes risky plays like hurdling defenders. He is a big dude, yeah, but still

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It doesn't make sense to trade for a 40 year old Rodgers with a foot out the door over trading for a 26 year old, hungry, Lamar Jackson

but Woody has a crush, so...

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. bicketybam

A hungry Lamar that wants an absolutely ridiculous contract. You forgot that part.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Is it time to pick this one up yet? $230 mil guaranteed over 5 years, #13, plus next year's 1st. Or should trade down first, then include lower first round pick? Could suck if Ravens matched though.

KY Jets Fan likes this.