Aaron Rodgers Watch - Clock Ticking

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYGalPal, Mar 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

No longer a rumor, if anyone still needed big dog confirmation.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Here's my current take.

The fact that he said he's "open to playing for the Jets" means he wants to play this year.
    That statement also makes me think the Jets aren't what he really wants. I think at this point he wants to stay in GB, and the Jets are a last resort.
    Things could get ugly the next week or two, with a crazy snap retirement/unretirement tantrum.
    If we do land him I don't think we'll be getting a guy whose heart is really in it, especially if we start losing.
    I wouldn't give up more than a 2nd for this headcase.

blackssmagic likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Fully prepared for him to commit to the Packers by tomorrow the latest. If you're at the "hey you should come play for us" stage this late in the game, probably not a good sign. Also horrendous mismanagement when you consider Carr is off the table.

blackssmagic likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You have to factor in, even if he wants the Jets and even if its a done deal with the Jets or not, there will be a media report of some team making an "11th hour push" for Rodgers

ouchy likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As I suspected, the Jets didn't sign Carr (if he was even going to sign here) because they had strong reason to believe they were going to get Rodgers. The fact that Rodgers met with the Jets is a good sign, indicating that the Jets and Packers have the framework of a deal they'll both accept in place. As for Rodgers meeting with other teams, I doubt it. Usually in cases like this, the team owning the player's rights doesn't give permission to any other team until they've all but locked up a deal - IOW GB isn't in the "shopping" stage, they're in the "close the deal" stage. Rodgers saying he's "open" to playing for the Jets tells me that he has some sweeteners or conditions he'd like met, but it also tells me that he's accepted the reality that if he wants to play it will be with the Jets.

I think it's only a matter of time now. Tick tock tick tock...

NYJetsO12, bicketybam, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  6. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Agreed, with a player the status of Rogers, these news reports that he's been allowed to speak to the Jets are only after numerous conversations between the Packers and the Jets and between Rogers and Nathaniel Hackett. Rogers is already likely feeling comfy, now its just a matter of whether some other team can swoop in and entice him or if he gets cold feet. But that Ian Rappoprt drop indicates that Rogers is pretty much decided.

Whether thats a good thing for the Jets in the long-term? I have my doubts..

NYJetsO12 and ouchy like this.
  7. Snatch Catch

From espn:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35804636

8. ColoradoContrails

I think we're past the "wait for the long term" now. For better or worse, we're in the "win now" mode. Rodgers gives them the best chance of that. What will be critical though is that the Jets continue to work to find/groom his successor, whether that's Zach or someone they draft. They can't allow themselves to be caught short when Rodgers finally decides to hang them up.

Cosmo, NYJetsO12 and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Don't let facts ruin a good narrative.

This was common knowledge months ago, but people still pushed the $60 mil against the cap lie.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If this happens the packers would potentially eat 40 million. Whats that worth in draft capital? To me, eating 40 million dollars would make the pack considerably less desperate to dump him.

11. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

100%. Thats going to be very tricky. Assuming Rodgers gives you 2 years that's one year to evaluate Wilson and then either draft a QB high in 24 or maybe grab a mid round pick this year and develop him.

12. ColoradoContrails

IDK if it's allowed, but maybe Woody said he'd be willing to "reimburse" the Packers for their cap hit if they send him here.

13. ColoradoContrails

It all depends on how much faith the Jets really have in Zach to still reach his potential. Nothing they've said indicates they don't believe he can't. But if they have any doubts they'll likely try to draft a good candidate this year if possible, using Zach as the #2 QB, and letting the rookie sit for a year or two to learn, which is what they should've done with Zach.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I could see that. The deal will look a lot like Favres in the end, with an added kicker if we reach AFCCG or SB.
    The bonus here is GB eating a lot of up front money, lowering some of our cap hit on Rodgers.

This is the best move for the team imo.
    I’d like to see JD and Saleh remain on the Jets. JDs past mistakes have dug a big hole, but this could be the way out.
    Rodgers would make this team an actual contender.
    This franchise is starved for continuity, and I’ve seen enough growth the last year that I’d hate to see another inexperienced GM start yet another “tear down”.

Lon Chaney and cmcm750203 like this.
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Or the Jets made it clear that he was door #2. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out after two meetings and the Jets still meeting with Rodgers.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The cap hit is money owed for past seasons. A new team can’t reimburse the old team for owed salary.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Snatch Catch

Definitely worth bringing up a 1st rounder on the GB side of negotiations (not saying they'll get it, but the team-friendly hit the Jets would be getting, coupled with the massive hit the Packers absorb makes it a viable conversation).

At the same time, if the Jets are the ones making that $58.3M payment before the season starts, that's something to balance out the negotiations from the Jets side. Despite the cap advantages of the contract, an additional lump sum, $60M check added to payroll is a big deal, even for an NFL owner.

ouchy likes this.
  18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Where do you come up with this nonsense? Snap decisions, temper tantrums, heart not in it? The guy could’ve just went on IR last year and quit on a really shitty team. No one would have blamed him. He stuck it out and performed with absolute trash at WR except Lazard maybe, and he put up a season that rivals pretty much anything Carr has done with a lot more talent. 2 years ago he was a back to back league mvp. There’s literally nothing he’s done that validates your ridiculous claims.

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

A guy like Rodgers really does seem like the type to tarnish his legacy by half-assing with the Jets. You nailed it.

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if Wilson still has a future here. If they thought, he did then they wouldn't be going after Rodgers/Carr all this time. I think the Jets hope Rodgers signs for at least 2 years and they can get someone in the draft for the future. Zach doesn't have the "it" factor and he should have shown it by now.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.