Nathaniel Hackett hired as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Jan 26, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m sure that was included in negotiations RE: the office. He had the same deal in Seattle.

3. BroadwayAaron

Didn’t he also come out and deny that? I think everybody knows that when Russell Wilson speaks he’s probably feeding you bullshit. The Office thing doesn’t even bother me, it’s the “too much influence“ part that is relevant here. Again since I feel the need to spell it out for some posters, Hackett was a terrible head coach and handled things poorly but Russell Wilson was a massive part of why Denver flopped last year.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean what you’re saying is your opinion and you’re stating it as a fact. Just be aware of that.

I think it was a bad blend of everything. Wilson is a veteran head coach that only knew one way and Carroll coddled him and did exactly what he wanted down to denying Carroll’s want to use wristbands.

It worked in Seattle because Pete is such an awesome coach and has created such a great culture there that he was able to manage all the personalities including Sherman, Earl Thomas, Michael Bennett, Russ, etc.

Hackett had no idea how to do that and that’s what’s required as a head coach. If Wilson comes back and has a great season under a HC that knows what he’s doing next year, are you still going to say it was mostly his fault? Or was his coach way in over his head and it wasn’t really mostly his fault?

$200+ million QB’s need to be managed differently because they have different expectations than even a $10 million/year receiver.

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

I feel like my biggest point throughout this whole thread has been who gives a shit about Hackett the head coach? He was terrible at it, he handled things poorly. I just said that again in the post you quoted. We didn’t hire him to be a head coach. We hired him to run an offense that has gotten anywhere from Top five to below average production with some pretty dog shit quarterbacks. My entire point is that you can’t take offensive rankings and output from last year and apply them to Hacketts career going forward as an offensive coordinator. For some reason people want to do that. It is very very very obvious, and that’s not just my opinion, that Russell Wilson completely upended the offensive game plan and you had a head coach forced to run something he’s never run before because the franchise saddled him with a $250 million quarterback

SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

The ESPN article does point out how horrid his pass protection scheme was. You should be worried. (This point has nothing to do with him being HC or OC)

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Looks like we let Nagy get away. Oh the horror.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

True about the blocking schemes.
    The article also points out he had the best rate of open receivers in the league. 50% on the slot even. I can confirm that from all the games I watched. Of course one way Wilson would completely miss them more often than not. Not to mention his capability to establish a strong running game. Our line needs to improve plenty for him to be successful, but we should expect that.
    Hackett was over his head and inexperienced to manage a basket case like Wilson, an issue that has festered with the Seahawks over the last two years. Seattle couldn’t be happier. No tears were shed.
    While Payton is better equiped to work around those issues, It remains to be seen how much BS he is willing to put with.

SOJAZ and abyzmul like this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

"The Broncos allowed a league-high 63 sacks, including 52 in shotgun. Despite injuries on the offensive line, Hackett stubbornly used heavy doses of his three-receiver package even though they couldn't block it up. He was criticized for failing to adjust..."

This does sound very familiar - same thing happened to us last year. Hopefully Hack can learn from that and OLine's talent will be improved by JD and maximized by Keith Carter.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I did t know it was that bad…but hey, the more I learn about this guy the more I hate the hire. He was at the bottom of my list when I saw the people we were talking to and I’ve really seen nothing since to give me much optimism. People point to one good season years ago in Jacksonville and then success with Rodgers in GB where he was the OC in name but that was LeFluer and Rodgers’ show all the way. I fully believe that it was Rodgers making Hackett look good and not the other way around…much like Peyton made Gase look good.

His Denver gig was horrid, and I don’t really care that it was the HC role and not the OC role…I get that some guys are better coordinators than HCs, but to me that category includes guys like Norv Turner and Wade Phillips…both very good coordinators on their side of the ball but both had multiple HC runs and were pretty freaking bad…and Hackett isn’t even close to those guys’ level…he was so putrid as HC that he didn’t even make a full season. That’s some kind of stink.

but of course it figures that he’s the guy we go get…because Jets.

the only way I get ok with this is if it brings Rodgers here …

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

In Denver, yes, there is no excuse. Although I was surprised to learn Hack had most wide open receivers in NFL last year, and Denver still had the worst offense in NFL. That probably means Russ didn't help very much. Still, Denver was a terrible year. However, he does need to get SOME credit for Rodgers, who is not performing at the same level without him. Particularly in red zone, for which he was in charge of in GB. Also, he needs to get credit for making EJ Manuel look somewhat competent and top 5 offense in Jacksonville with Bortles. You gotta look at the complete picture. Overall, I am also not super excited, but I don't think it's fair to say he is a total shit either. As sad as it is, he was probably the best OC available for us, given our HC is a defensive one, and needs the OC to completely take over the offense.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Russell Wilson does not like throwing between the numbers. You could give him a wide open breaker on every play and he'd be more likely to be looking downfield on the sidelines, often rolling out and looking on the sideline he is on.

SOJAZ and LAJet like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hackett was hired to bring in Aaron Rodgers. It is put up or shut up time for him

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

In part yes, but now that the market unfolded, which realistic options were really much better than Hack, even without considering Rodgers. The big guys, such as Reich, G Kubiak, and Kingsbury were not available. Beyond them I just don't see too many slam dunk choices. Hack might actually be the best...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

Spot on. I feel like this was well known for so long it’s some people want to completely ignore it because it helps them be miserable about some thing the Jets did. What Russell Wilson likes to do and what he thrives on is maybe the polar opposite of the West Coast offense unless you count a college style air raid. The mix was god awful from day one.

And there’s a reason coaches haven’t tried to birth a new offense that is the love child of West Coast and vertical attack. West coast builds up to a kill shot while the kind of offense Russell Wilson thrives in goes for the kill shot seemingly every other drop back. Try to put those two together and you get the Broncos from last year.

#615 BroadwayAaron, Feb 26, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, there was a guy a couple of years ago lauded as the smartest guy in the building for offense, a true quarterback guru who was heading to where football is going. I think he may be available.

abyzmul likes this.
  17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

stinkyB likes this.
  19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

More like chopping wood to toughen up for Drago

abyzmul likes this.
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Didn't know the stable offensive genius would offer to curl up on the chopping block for Rocky.