2022-2023 Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by statjeff22, Nov 1, 2022.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Killer loss. You can't blow a 3rd period lead at home to this team and expect to make the playoffs.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Terrible loss and likely one that will come back to haunt them.

3. JetBlue

Another blown 3rd period lead, another goal against us by a player who doesn’t score. The Lane Lambert experiment has run its course. Hopefully a coaching change comes with whatever roster moves Lou makes next.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. JetBlue

In glass half full news, we should at least be able to keep our 1st round pick this year.

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

That's good, but at this point all that really matters is who will be running the team, on and off the ice, next year. I've lost any faith I might have had that Ledecky and Malkin have a clue about such things, but fixing that is the only chance of turning this around.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Same here. They need to move on from Lou. I know it's been said many times but until they hire a new GM nothing will change.

7. JetBlue

If Lou can shed some salary on his way out the door and recoup some picks he can somewhat salvage his time here. Get picks for Varly, Mayfield and Parise and dump Bailey and Pullock’s contracts and Lou’s successor will have something to work with.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I haven't watched many games this year, but my lucky streak continues. Came home in time to find a stream for the 3rd period last night :cool:

9. JetBlue

Clearly the hockey Gods are through being subtle with Lou that this isn’t the roster to commit to. Hopefully he heads this sign and starts trading out contracts and reacquiring picks for a deep draft.

GREG likes this.
  10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

They should sell and try to reacquire picks for the draft. I don't want Lou to be the one doing the rebuilding. I really hope Malkin and Ledecky move on from Lou. If the Isles do get a new GM, then let him be the one to make the call on Lambert.

11. statjeff22

Unfortunately, it is much more likely that Lou will say that it was just the bad luck of Barzal getting injured that prevented the team from turning it around and marching off to victory, and will do absolutely nothing about the obviously-necessary teardown. And then Ledecky/Malkin will keep him, but possibly fire Lambert to show that they're "on top of things." Sigh.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. statjeff22

Three unanswered goals in the third period, including the winner on a gorgeous play by Lee, and the Isles complete the sweep of Pittsburgh.

Can't ......... let ........ them ........... suck ......... me ........ in .......... again ........................................

GREG and stinkyB like this.
  13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

They currently occupy WC 1 although the Sabres have 6 games in hand on them. Other teams also have games in hand. But as long as they stay in the race, I think we will all be sucked in again. I feel bad for Sorokin. He is an elite level goalie. If he had a decent team around him both offensively and defensively then the Isles would win the Cup. He is that good. IMHO.

Red Menace and JetBlue like this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Don’t get sucked in, Matt Martin on first line almost made me vomit. I’m so disgusted by the approach the Isles have used to build this team and their lack of effort to develop younger players.

This is where Raaty would have shined, instead they chose to trade away a potential franchise forward for another veteran.

You were right about Lou and I was completely wrong in supporting Lou.

I will not watch this team again until Lou is gone.

15. statjeff22

For sure - he is great. Without him this team wouldn't be within sniffing distance of anything other than the very bottom of the league.

GREG likes this.
  16. JetBlue

The only good thing to say about Lambert at this point is he does a good job letting young players earn a spot and most have taken advantage of the opportunity. Raty would have done well under him, but I think Horvat will provide much more dividends for the team over the next 4-5 years than Raty would have so I’ve gotten over my initial anger of the trade.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Huge win last night over the Jets. This team has its flaws as we all know. But 7-2-2 in their last 11. They are creating a little breathing room for the WC 1 spot. Another great performance by the brick wall Sorokin. Best goalie in the league. IMHO.

stinkyB and Red Menace like this.
  18. statjeff22

You're being sucked back in! :eek:;)

stinkyB and GREG like this.
  19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Their first-round pick is protected 1-12. The Isles won't be picking in the top 12 so they will lose the pick to the Canucks from the Horvat trade. Might as well root for wins and get into the playoffs. They will probably lose in Rd 1 playing the B's or Canes, but Sorokin (brick wall) would give them a chance at an upset.

stinkyB likes this.