Zach Wilson - MERGED (All Zach Threads will be merged here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Wilson is such an enigma because on film I absolutely loved his mechanics, quick release, throws in and out of the pocket and arm strength.. what the film doesn’t show is his attitude and I think this is his problem.

papapump likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What we didn't watch enough of at BYU was when Wilson was making his throws. If you go back and look at the scouting videos it becomes clear that Wilson is throwing the ball when he sees wide-open receivers and only making contested throws deep, mostly along the left sideline. You can't do that in the NFL. Often you have to throw the ball to the spot you know the receiver will be at and count on them to be there. One of the reasons Wilson throws the ball so hard on short passes is that he's waiting that extra moment to let the ball go because he wants more certainty that the receiver is open. This often results in a pass that is hard to handle and in a location that is not optimal also.

The other thing is that the short passing game at BYU was largely outside the numbers. As a first read these are safer throws and Wilson's strong arm let him put some zip on the ball. He just has to read the receiver vs one defender on these passes. In the NFL the defenders close a lot faster and the defensive rush often creates problems and these outlets aren't as good as at the NCAA level.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Very interesting comments from Sauce on Zach Wilson. Listen to the last 20 seconds. He said he can make the throws Aaron Rodgers can make AND he is a great teammate.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Can't be true. His teammates hate him, especially the defensive guys.

Nyjets4eva, burf, cval and 1 other person like this.
  5. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Yeah, I heard GW on with Florio/Simms, say something similar.
    Also, he admitted the whole QB thing, as I suspected, was a bit distracting. Not knowing who was gonna be QB, etc.
    What a great kid.

Here's the link to that 8min clip...
    https://www.nbcsports.com/video/new-york-jets-wr-garrett-wilson-weighs-qb-situation-zach-wilson

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, so what? What does Sauce know anyway? He doesn't have the advantage of being on TGG and being educated about how bad Zach Wilson is and how he will never be an NFL QB. /s.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

8. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Of course, what do you expect him/them to say?? And if he said, Zach sucks, then he'd be speaking truth.
    My head spins with the 'logical' contortions people go thru to be 'right' about Zach the generational bust, who 'everyone' on the team hates.
    What's actually fascinating, is that there are no tweets from Zach, nor leaked reports about what Zach is doing, where he is, what his plans are for working to improve this off-season?
    Seems like all the great NFL, & local beat reporters, who are always breaking speculative nonsense, missed their opportunity to be civil with Zach, so they'd actually be able to get info from him. Instead they jumped on the bust bandwagon, & thus made their jobs more difficult.
    Seems to me one reporter would've been smart enough to just be fair.
    Instead... crickets.

Nyjets4eva and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yeah it was a real vote of confidence by Sauce Gardner for Zach Wilson, alright

Gardner talked about actively trying to find Wilson’s replacement lol but he said some nice things, that’s cute

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He's a great passer in practice is the best thing I heard Gardner say about Wilson. And I listened to a lot more than the last 20 seconds.

11. The Dark Knight

Just answered the questions he was asked.

He said he has it in him and is a great teammate. Those are things we had not been hearing his teammates say this season and people were assuming they did not like him.

Zach just needs to play better. It is as simple as that.

ColoradoContrails and burf like this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

minor detail

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Assuming the Jets bring in a new QB, how much more of Zach are we really going to see at QB.

If Rodgers/Carr are brought in, I'm thinking they'll be QB for two years minimum. That will close out Zach's fourth year here. Considering how terrible he has been, I can't imagine his fifth year option is going to be picked up.

I guess there is a chance he's the backup QB, comes in for an injured starter and shows vast improvement. But at this point, is he even good enough to be a backup? I haven't seen enough to be confident in him as a backup. Maybe the coaching staff thinks he still has that potential.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Zach shipped off for whatever they can get.

14. The Dark Knight

Meaning, the locker room is not against him. He is not a bad person or teammate. He just did not play good enough. That was the issue. His pre-season injury also set him back chemistry-wise with Garrett Wilson. It makes sense. It is up to Zach to show he belongs on the field in the future.

Yeah, nothing would really be too surprising with Zach Wilson and the Jets. If he ends up starting and playing well, I would not be surprised. If he is traded this year, would not be surprised. If he is back-up or third string and never plays, would not be surprising. If he plays and still looks terrible, would not be surprised. Just how this situation unfortunately is at the moment.

ColoradoContrails and burf like this.
  15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Probably the most interesting thing he reported, if his reports are correct... it was MLF, & Rex Hogan who really pushed for Zach to be their pick, even arguing that Zach was better than TL.
    What I'd really like to see, is an in-depth interview of Zach. Just to see where his head is at, & what plans he has to straighten himself out. Who he's working with, etc?
    The key to me is, once MLF was jettisoned, who in the organization has been directing his off-season plan?
    Calabrese?
    Or did he hire an outside person on his own, which would follow how the organization has handled his whole development, basically leaving everything on him, & having no plan to mentor him in-house, once Knapp died.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Great point from Phil Simms to end that article. It's on Zach Wilson now to grow up and get better. No more coddling

"He's going to tell us the answers," Simms said. "You'll be able to see it when you go to training camp. If you don't say, 'Oh, wow, this is a different guy,' then that will answer a lot of questions."

Jets79 and LAJet like this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If these idiots bring in Jimmy Glass, Zach will see a minimum 6-8 games.

20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Would you be confident with Zach as backup? I don't think I would.

If the Jets miss out on Carr and Rodgers, Jimmy G is probably the next best option. Not ideal, but better than Zach starting.

Jimmy G needs a good backup though.