The State of the Jets... where they are...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by burf, Jan 29, 2023.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think the Jets fell apart b/c of a number of issues.
    1. The o-line was decimated
    2. Breece Hall injury
    3. QB play got worse
    4. Lack of flexibility in coaching staff
    5. Special teams got worse (Mann stunk and Berrios had an epic collapse in his performance)

Everything is fixable except the injuries.

SOJAZ, KingRoach, burf and 1 other person like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IMO, here's the "state of the Jets": they have still failed to adequately address the offense, even after last year's draft. The main issue is that they still haven't fixed the OL. They had a chance to last year and Douglas missed it. Why he believed that Becton would return anywhere near form, and be able to play a whole season, is beyond me. He could've been more aggressive in signing or trading for someone to replace him and didn't. Then in the draft, Ekwonu was there for the taking and he passed on him. Yeah, I know he had to take Sauce, but did he? How many games did Sauce win for them? And how many games did QW win for them? Now, how many games did the poor OL lose for them? Perhaps by themselves they didn't lose any, but coupled with poor QB play, and poor play at times from the skill players, the offense lost at least 6 down the stretch, plus a few more earlier.

Bottom line: this league is driven by offense. If you don't have a very good one, your defense isn't going to be of much help in the W/L column and that's the only measure that counts. Whatever Douglas does about the QB position, he MUST fix the OL, not only as far as the starters go, but by making sure he has good back ups in the roster for the inevitable injuries. This is even a higher priority than finding a QB IMO. And the maddening thing is it's been a problem since Mangold and Brick, and Douglas was supposed to be knowledgeable about the OL.

Fix the damn OL!

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree I hated relying on Becton too…but to me QB was the number one reason and OL number 2. The OL was decimated with injuries. Zach just flat out sucked.

but yes we need to fix the OL like nobodies business

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes..and I have said this all along in many Posts!! The pussy Johnson owners have asshole magnets for sycophant Head Coaches and Gen Managers who hire newbie staff at OC and DC . All of them demand nothing but be play friends with the "kids">>million dollar stars that happen to play football

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I think that's been quite clear all along. Anyone who thinks the Jets are an Aaron Rodgers away from being in the convo of SB contenders is kidding themselves.

I think we are a playoff team with a functional QB under center. But with the amount of young super talent in the AFC? Acting like we are just a QB away from a SB is wishful thinking at best.

So we go all in for AR for one or two years while giving up the draft picks this team so desperately needs with no sure thing of a SB let alone a playoff appearance?

I said it last week and I'll say it again. The Jets made their bed (Hackett) and now they have to sleep in it (Rodgers).

Will it pay off? We shall see but I would've much rather kept those valuable high draft picks that put us in a much better spot in one short offseason. If they ever have another draft like this past one they could be one of the better AFC teams for years to come.

Add to that a Derek Carr and an OC from one of the better offensive teams in the league. I would've preferred this route to the retread OC and the aging, media loving, expensive HOF QB.

papapump, CotcheryFan and westiedog1 like this.
  6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I agree with the first sentence, but still want Rodgers over Carr anyway.

1. Fuhgeddaboud SB, you first have to make the playoffs. True we are not an elite team and Rodgers is not likely to make us one, but I feel he has the best chance of getting this team, which hasn't been to the playoffs in 12 years, into the dance. That should be the goal.
    2. It's hard to win when there's no culture of winning in this franchise. Rodgers has a better shot at reversing that culture and putting the Jets on a winning trajectory even if he only plays 2 years. I feel 2 years of 1st round picks is worth it for that goal. Winning a SB is not likely with Rodgers, but winning is.
    3. With Carr there is no guarantee the Jets playoff fortunes will improve. Granted he would be an improvement over what we have (a very low bar), but he has been in the league 9 seasons and has a winning record in only 2 of them. And then there is the question of Carr's performance in cold weather. That's not an issue with Rodgers.
    4. With Rodgers, the mission is clear. Come here, put the Jets on a winning path for a short period and then go to the broadcast booth.
    5. With Carr the mission is less clear. Can he win here? If he can, can he get us to the SB, because with a guy who is 32 and will likely be the face of the franchise for a much longer period, that is the burning question.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. JetsNation06

See I think Jets fans are wanting to believe Rodgers can lead them to the promised land when in actuality I don't think he provides that much of a lift. Like I said I think they're a playoff team with him but that's it.

Carr's numbers suggest that he'd be a significant improvement over what we've had at that position. Hell even Minshew would be an improvement.

Do you really think Rodgers is worth that much more that you want to give up multiple first and second round draft picks for? Most likely for a guy who plays 2 years max?

Rodgers hasn't won a SB in a very long time. He's far from a sure thing at this point in his career. I think what we'd have to give up for him is too costly.

If Rodgers doesn't make the playoffs then it's back to shitty team as usual with less draft capital.

I also don't understand all the ranting and raving by some fans here as if next year is a SB or bust season. What a crock!

We had a good season. We improved by 3 wins which is a good amount in the NFL.

Next season we are on track to improve again with a strong draft (this is key) and upgrades to QB and OC. I don't giving all this up for Rodgers is worth it.

We're headed in the right direction already. Saleh's one of the best defensive minds in the league and now all these "experts" on here want him gone.

Who are you going to replace him with all of you "experts"? Dopes is more like it.

Jets fans acting like they are some winning franchise is hilarious.

A lot of misinformed fans now want to take a shortcut to winning a SB. Shortcuts rarely work in life. I say another strong offseason like last and we're right in the mix without giving up multiple high draft picks.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

We are not giving up multiple first and seconds for Rodgers. Climb off the ledge.

9. JetsNation06

It's already been reported that the Jets will have to give up at least a 1st and 2nd rounder to get him. Too rich for my blood. What say you?

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I doubt it…these reports are all just speculation…Rodgers hasn’t
    even decided if he’s going to retire or keep play8mg

despite Rodgers credentials as a future HOF QB, he IS 39 years old, he’s not in his prime, and he may only play a couple more years. So I doubt he’s going to cost a first and a second…and I also don’t think JD will roll over and give up the farm. Not his style. (Of course, Woody could stick his nose in it and force the issue, but I’m hoping he lets JD work it out)

I think it may involve conditional picks depending on how well and how many years he plays…but I doubt it’s a first and a second right off the bat.

11. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

As it seems San Fran is now also looking for a qb, Lamar,Brady,Jimmy G,Carr, and Rodgers are the options. The Ravens,Dolphins maybe,Steelers maybe,Houston,Atlanta,Carolina,Redskins,Tampa,Chicago and Minnesota Are teams bidding on these guys. None of the qbs are going to come cheap except maybe Brady. Too many teams that are a qb away from the playoffs

12. westiedog1

I don't know about multiple 1st and 2nd round picks. I really don't think he'd cost that much because of his age, however, I would give up 2 firsts for him just to get back to winning. This roster needs to know what it's like to win. If not, much of the new talent we saw this season is going to want to leave in a few years when their contracts are up. These guys are not going to have the patience to go through breaking in another rookie QB. So that leaves Rodgers as the best option right now. In time, a better option may present itself, but for now, call me a cheesehead.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The Packers have said they're not going to trade him within the Conference (NFC), so that significantly reduces the market competition if that's true. Of course anything is possible, including him deciding to stay at GB, or just retire. No one has a clue. It's fun to speculate, but that's all it is, speculation.

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Why does every thread have to turn into a QB thread?
    First about Zach, now about AR.
    I started this thread, specifically, to discuss other issues... there are other issues besides QB.
    And it started out on topic, then...
    So, how about it, folks... there is a big AR thread (hint)...

SOJAZ, JetFanInNE and Ralebird like this.
  15. westiedog1

But none bigger.

16. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Wasn’t JD (eventually) given complete control over personnel decisions?

was that part of his deal when he signed? I can’t remember, but I do remember something about his being given “the keys to the team.”

Does JD have complete control or not?

when he was driving such a hard bargain about his own signing four years ago, was that really ALL about just money and not autonomy?

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Is here what say I - nothing has been reported about what it will take to make a Rodgers deal happen. There have been dozens of guesses and multiple paragraphs of opinion but those who would be in a position to make a deal work are not putting out any numbers so there is nothing to "report."

18. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

So you think if KC and Cincy didn’t have Mah and Burrow, it would only be about not having a Qb. No other major issues?

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Special teams coach shoulda been let go. Both Patriots games and the Lions game were tight games the special teams imploded in.

it’s unacceptable

SOJAZ, burf and JetsNation06 like this.
  20. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I have a different opinion.
    While QB is an issue, it can be addressed in different ways.
    There are also chemistry issues, OL issues, cap issues, issues with the D, etc.
    That's where I'm at... all these issues have an effect on which way they go.
    And why I've made peace with a Jimmy G, as opposed to other options.

That said, unlike most here, I think the chemistry issue was the biggest factor in the end of season collapse.
    It distracted the players' focus, on all sides of the ball.
    As bad as Zach played, they were still winning. The OL somehow was holding its own, with different players every week. But something happened after the 2nd Pats game, that threw the whole team into a tailspin.
    To me it was focus & division, which was never addressed by Saleh, & is still going on (see the QW thread).