Aaron Rodgers - Yay or Nay (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 26, 2023.

?

Want Aaron Rodgers at Jets?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2023.
  1. Yay

58.9%
  2. Nay

26.6%
  3. Undecided

14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The Jets would have to have a very strong verbal agreement from all involved parties prior to Carr becoming available of they want to go the Rodgers route.

Lon Chaney and LAJet like this.
  2. bicketybam

I'm going to wait for the highlights. Pat McAfee is about as unlistenable as it gets.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the hang-up if it exists is with the $58M bonus payment that can be converted to guaranteed salary if the Packers choose. That bonus is like Schrodinger's Cat. It's neither bonus, which can be pro-rated, or guaranteed salary, which cannot, until the Packers deal with the clause. I believe that the current CBA cap rules require them to open the box and look at the cat at the time they trade Rodgers. I don't think they can pass that clause along to the next team because right now it is an option bonus and that bonus has to be managed before they trade him.

So the Packers can pay him the $58M and have it go on their cap in pro-rated form as dead money. Or they can convert it to guaranteed salary per the clause which would then go on the acquiring team's cap for the year. If they make the trade after June 1st then the acquiring team can put half the salary on the cap this season and half next.

I could be off-base if the current cap rules allow the Packers to trade the clause without dealing with it. However it's currently an option bonus and I don't think they can pass that on without making it guaranteed salary.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Merged 2 Aaron Rodgers threads into this one. Any new Rodgers thread will stay open for a few days and will be eventually merged with this one.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Jets can't win the SB within 1-2 years with Rodgers, who can they win it with? Or are you suggesting a near total rebuild at this point?

Look, anything can happen, especially bad things with the Jets, but putting aside that, it's not unreasonable to expect that the key pieces on offense that missed big chunks of time, or were out for the balance of the season, come back and return to something close to form. Given how the offense was operating when at full strength and less than average play from the QB, adding a even a diminished Rodgers would make a huge positive difference. Couple that with a very good defense, they would have as good a chance of anyone of getting to the SB.

If you disagree, what's your plan? Living in the "Land of Perpetual Rebuilds"?

NOVAJET likes this.
  6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Gee I wonder why...

He threatens to retire every offseason and wonders why the Packers organization would discuss a future without him

8. NOVAJET

Little disconcerting though, if he's going to agree to a deal in principle before Carr is released the timing isn't ideal that the brass hasn't talked to him atleast about the possibility of a trade. Maybe they have and he just can't talk about it, who tf knows..

BrowningNagle likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Even if they have talked to him, I'd be shocked if he made things easier for the media and everyone who lives in "Speculation World".

It's frustrating. We Jets fans are desperate for a QB Savior. We haven't had one since Namath. We're overdue. But we're the last people that anyone is concerned about in this situation. We're just going to have to sit back and wait.

10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Incorrect

11. NOVAJET

I think the pack has to pay it either way. Just either all now or split if after June 1st. We don't have to pay any of it I think but I definitely could be wrong.

12. KingRoach

There’s 2 different payments which seem to spark confusion. The money owed to AR from previous contracts (about $30mm) and the guaranteed money from his new contract. With the new contract, the team who secures AR will have the option to spread his salary over 3 or 4 years.

LAJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. NOVAJET

Thanks, the whole financial, timing, picks given up things are all making it one helluva confusing trade. Just get it tf done lol.

KingRoach likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

I dont think we want to do that though, you'd be paying for a guy who is out of the league

15. KingRoach

Our society is built on buying things today and paying for it tomorrow.

NOVAJET likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

ha!

I don’t want Rodgers but if that’s the move I’d pay it out as is and not kick the can down the road

17. bicketybam

We are so desperate that we thought Mike White was the savior.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This quote from the OTC article about the entirety of Rodgers contract makes it sound like the option does not need to be exercised by the Packers and they can trade him with the options still on the table.

https://overthecap.com/the-salary-cap-impact-of-trading-for-aaron-rodgers

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The cap in 25/26 is going to be 260 and 280 respectively according to OTC. It isn't the end of the world considering Q will be the only other big contract we have on the books.

NOVAJET likes this.
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That's Mike F'in White.... please get it correct. You must've missed the T-shirt that sent the team into a tailspin....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.