Aaron Rodgers - Yay or Nay (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 26, 2023.

?

Want Aaron Rodgers at Jets?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2023.
  1. Yay

58.9%
  2. Nay

26.6%
  3. Undecided

14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Why are those two things mutually exclusive? AR and beefing up the OL that is?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Probably not. Even Burrow couldn’t win it this year. Hurts may win it all, and he certainly isn’t the best Qb in the league.

Get into the tournament with a Qb who is capable, backed up by a complete team, and take your shot. All you can do. No guarantees anyway

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

No but it gives them a chance they won't have without him, rooting for a 20 year rebuild lol? Tired of losing, Jets are the 8th highest Vegas odds for a SB next year, think that is because they believe we are trotting out Mike White? Oline can still be addressed, they are in no way mutually exclusive. Oh and it won't be 2 1's, not even sure it would be any 1's from what the pundits are saying.

4. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

I don’t understand the naysayers logic. It’s as if you would only bring in Rodgers if it somehow guarantees a Super Bowl victory. To me, even if it gives the Jets, say a 20% chance of winning a Super Bowl over the next two years, those are good odds. Better odds than we’ve had in a long time. It’s hard to win it all. But, I know it’s essentially impossible without a top 10 QB.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

probably because his acquisition would sap draft picks and salary cap room

IIMeanDeanII and Ralebird like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Do better? Where's the consistency? All kinds of remarks regarding Wilson and White missing games due to injury but no acknowledgement that anybody on an NFL field, even Rodgers, is subject to injury at any time. Aging players are also subject to injury, maybe even at a higher rate. Rodgers is not impervious to injury because people want to hang their hopes on his shoulders.

#386 Ralebird, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. NOVAJET

Noone is impervious to injury, just using it in an argument is ridiculous. Anyone could get injured, rookie, vet, older, younger. What exactly is your plan then? A rookie, guess what he could get injured, Jimmy G, he is always injured. What's your plan then, unless it's superman guess what, yup he could get injured.

8. Ralebird

I asked because people are talking as if the playbook has been written and a hundred copies printed. I really don't care what label is put on the book, call it the Jets/Hackett book and I'll be fine. I want the Jets to have a functional playbook not one based on a coach's ego; any similarity to anything else should be purely coincidental. Maybe it should be written to where football is going, not where it's been. (I really don't like the sound of that.)

LAJet likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Yes, they all can get injured. That was precisely my point which started many pages ago in response to someone attempting to project how many games that the Jets lost, would have been won if Rodgers was quarterbacking. Many of the games were played with replacement QBs because of injury and incompetence. If you're really interested in my plan for what happens if Garropolo gets injured, I don't have one - seeing him as a Jet would be damn close to a port of last resort. Right behind drafting another overrated rookie.

10. NOVAJET

What's the plan then?

11. Ralebird

The only plan that makes sense to me is to get a proven veteran who will be around for a term of 5 - 10 years or more. The second part there, along with the economic cost, pretty much eliminates Rodgers in my book.

Pretty much what I already said here on Saturday in posts 252 and 255.

#391 Ralebird, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Trades, just like when releasing a player, can be made with a June 1st designation. They could make the trade in March or April and still have it effective June 1st

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Just like releasing players they can give the trade made in April a June 1st designation

14. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

If Rogers only plays with us for one season, we will have to decide at the end of the season whether to exercise Zach’s 5th year option which obviously we wouldn’t. If Rogers plays 2 years we’ll then have to decide whether to sign Zach at all since he’d be a FA at the end of the year. The only way Zach ever gets a chance here again is if the starter (Rogers in this example) gets hurt and Zach is actually still on the roster, which frankly it’s a good possibility he’s not because he’s completely lost support from the locker room and the Jets might just figure on recouping something small at least as part of a trade and just move on, which would be best for the Jets and Zach honestly.

15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If they cut Wilson before the start of the 2023 season they save $11 mil against the cap and have $20 mil in dead money.

If they cut him after the upcoming season they save nothing against the cap and have $11 million in dead money.

So really it's now or never. I think there is a far better chance he gets traded than he is outright cut. And even at that, I don't think he will be traded which guarantees us two more years of bitching and moaning.

https://overthecap.com/player/zach-wilson/9466

16. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

They don't save $11 million against the cap. It's -11 million more against the cap so zach would be $31m against the cap if he's cut prior June 1. Spotrac breaks it down better than OTC IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically they are stuck with zach and his money lol

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Even worse. Thanks for clarifying that. So why would they ever cut him? It makes no sense but people keep bringing it up. Just let the guy be a backup or the 3rd string guy. After two years they can reevaluate.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah lol. Makes no sense, he's either going to get traded and we eat 1.8m this year or he sits on the bench while learning and trying to improve his game. There is no way he is cut though, not sure why it's even brought up when you look at the financials.

Lon Chaney and JetFanInNE like this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Today is Aaron Rodgers Tuesday on The Pat McAfee Show. He usually is on around 2pm. ALOT has happened (rumor wise) with Rodgers to the Jets since his last appearance. He likely won't say anything, but with him, you never know. Could be must-see tv! (On YouTube)

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on. Only decision remaining in the future is for his option year. Like it or not he remains a Jet near term. So better hope NH can sprinkle plenty of magic powder. On a related note regarding out vet QB move, I now read comments that the AR decision can not be made till June, for reasons that are somewhat confusing regarding the cap, , which in my opinion puts the Jets in a very risky position. If he flakes out or has other options, we will miss out on either Carr or JG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.