Aaron Rodgers - Yay or Nay (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 26, 2023.

?

Want Aaron Rodgers at Jets?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2023.
  1. Yay

58.9%
  2. Nay

26.6%
  3. Undecided

14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think ZW is absolutely the key. IF Woody/JoeD/Saleh still sees Z as the future, they'll try to get a guy like Rogers for 1-2 years. If not, they'll go after a Carr type on a 4-5 yr deal. It ALL depends on how they see ZW.

2. Footballgod214

I agree.....like I said, we'd be better off for the next yr or two with Arron, but after that if we're stuck with ZW, then we'd be better off (long term) with Brady, as I think Brady would be far better to help ZW.

But in the end we'll probably hire Carr for 5 years and cut ZW

3. Footballgod214

Couldn't agree more....but it's not what I see, it's what Woody/JoeD/Saleh see. It's hard to think they still see ZW as our future, until you hear Saleh go on and on about how talented Z is, and all he needs is to get his head right. Z's a highly talented #2 overall pick who can't throw a fastball over the plate. Maybe he needs glasses! Or a yr or two sitting behind (fill in the blank)

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If he had Belichick or Arians as his coach, he would have been the one winning the Super Bowls.

5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Exploding heads... I'll giggle

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even want to watch. Sounds terrible. And like I said, he probably wouldn't even play great because that is the Jets luck. He would just waste their time and youth.

No, they don't. It is not even close to the same situation though. The Jets hate Brady and Brady hates them. Been that way for 20+ years. If he was going to sign here, it would mean he feels Joe Douglas built a good roster and he wants to take advantage of that. I don't want the Jets doing him any favors.

If the Jets don't trade for Rodgers, I would rather have Carr, Garopollo, Mayfield, Darnold, Brissett and Minshew over Brady. I'd rather start Zach Wilson or Mike White over Tom Brady too. Now Flacco? Okay, I will go with Brady for once. :D

stinkyB and bicketybam like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Keep this in mind: no amount of strenuous assertion or objection is going to bring about the outcome you want or don't want. We're just the "bozos on the bus" and Woody is the driver with JD as his navigator.

Check your seatbelts.

KY Jets Fan and ouchy like this.
  8. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

barfolomew and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

That is interesting because the Jets "prefer" to acquire a really good veteran QB this offseason too! A 4-time NFL MVP sounds good.

I feel good that the Jets would not have to get into a bidding war either with teams like the Raiders, Titans or Colts. I feel like the Packers are a classy organization and will just do what Rodgers wants as long as compensation is fair.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd rather have him convert most of the bonus to guaranteed salary and have us take the bigger cap hit this year and give up less in trade value.

The way his bonus works if the Packers decline to pay it then it turns into guaranteed salary for the year which means he'd have a huge hit for the acquiring team but that would be a one year hit. The Packers would get the greatest amount of cap relief in that scenario. He's probably worth the Favre deal if that happens. Mid-rounds pick that becomes a step better if the Jets makes the playoffs and he plays 50% of the snaps, a step better than that if he plays 70% of snaps and the Jets win a playoff game and a step better again if he plays 80% and the Jets make the Super Bowl. 1st round pick tops.

If the Packers want more for him then it has to be tied both to the number of years he plays for the Jets and to his and their performance in those seasons. Also, if they want more they have to take more of the cap hit in the process, renegotiating his bonus such that a substantial part of the bonus goes on the cap when they trade him and less attaches to the Jets cap when he arrives.

This deal if it happens will have enormous consequences for the Jets both positive and negative and if it is done wrong the pain we'll all feel is hard to imagine right now.

11. ColoradoContrails

12. AG3

AG3 Well-Known Member

Let’s go!!!

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

I'd really like Rodgers of all the options floated so far, but not if it cripples us. I have to trust Douglas will only accept a deal that avoids that outcome.

First, the compensation to the Packers has to be fair and not a king's ransom. Second, Rodgers himself can't demand to renegotiate into an even richer contract than we'd be taking on. Third, there should be qualifiers attached to any draft picks base on how many games he plays, and whether we get to the playoffs and how far we go. Fourth, there has to be an "escape clause" if he gets seriously hurt and/or decides to retire.

The above would be my ideal. I doubt that's what happens though. If it takes a bit more to get him, I'd be okay with that. If too much more, though, then look for another solution at QB.

Jojo, SOJAZ, Br4d and 1 other person like this.
  14. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but we've been waiting for the other shoe to drop and it's on the floor now.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The Packers are in cap hell ATM so that means we would likely get him for less draft capital, but not a cheaper contract, as the Pack wont have the cap space. Their cap issues could save us picks.

Br4d and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

Kind of feels like the Packers are not in a position to demand compensation that would cripple the Jets. They want to move on from Rodgers (and his contract) and play Jordan Love. The compensation may be even less than we expect.

Br4d and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  17. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Agree the less the Jets can give up in trade value, the better. What's a one season larger cap hit compared to future talent? And since JD knows how to draft, any potential high picks given up will be all that more valuable.

The Packers now realize they made a huge mistake by giving Rodgers a three year deal last year and need a sucker to, not only unload the contract onto, but to get value in return for him. Green Bay basically wants to have their cake and eat it, even though they have no leverage and are negotiating from a point of weakness, not strength.. Considering teams such as Las Vegas, Tennessee and Indianapolis aren't winning with or without AR, that pretty much leaves the Jets and their fans the only ones salivating at the prospect of getting an overpriced 40 year old QB.

Now if some idiot GM with a middle of the road team wants to come around and give up a 1st for Rodgers, let them dive off that cliff. If nothing else, the Rodgers drama should be a good measuring stick to determine the level of desperation, if any, the Jets organization is operating under.

18. The Dark Knight

Hey! That hurt my feelings. :D

19. ColoradoContrails

That's my sense of things too. Let's hope they Jets can take advantage for a change.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Each of these three QBs have different pros & cons.
    Each one, will effect the whole team differently... how it's built; which players are cut, which players to try to renegotiate, how long it takes to get them in the building, etc.
    When I try to put past disappointments aside, get inside JD's head & just look at the whole team picture... while AR will probably be the best QB in '23, I also think trading for him will probably have the most negative ripple-effects for the whole team, even though his initial cap-related stuff seems manageable.
    To make a long story short, probably Jimmy G makes the most logical sense, even though his injury history is concerning.
    He'd give JD the most flexibility in managing the cap, acquiring talent, & building the most competitive team in '23, & beyond. Then, they'll need to re-sign MW, or some competent #2 to backup Jimmy G, & they can let Zack be the opponent stand-in QB, & get his reps that way.

SOJAZ, LAJet and Since1969 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.