Mike LaFleur out as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

nobody’s scheme would work with Zach Wilson

2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion and i understand why younfeel that way but i have more faith in saleh than I've had in our coaches in a long time. Maybe bowles in 2015, rex in his second year. He's got these men motivated. Who he picks as oc will be a major watermark for this team. I hope he makes the right choice

Jets79, IIMeanDeanII and JetFanInNE like this.
  3. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Thing is, I'm speaking of the team, not Zach.
    The O couldn't score TDs, no matter who was QB.
    Even the one guy who excelled in the scheme (GW), called out MLF after the final game.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So predictable.

Really? NOBODY'S? Like "nobody's scheme" could work with Trevor Lawrence last year, or go back a few years - "Nobody's scheme" could work with Ryan Tannehill in Miami.

Scheme's are a big part of how players perform (not just the QB BTW). None of us are privy to what really went on behind the scenes, but when an offense sucks as bad as ours did to end the season, on top of its overall poor performance over the past two seasons, it's fair to question the OC and his scheme, and also to consider that those things had an impact on the players, especially the QB.

bicketybam likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

ok how about you describe a little about which scheme you think would work with Wilson?

Instead of describing different guys

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Asked and answered already. But I'm not an OC. I don't know what scheme would work best, I know what scheme didn't work - LaFleur's. I also know that very often when the right scheme is used, players do much better, often "night & day" better.

JetFanInNE, burf and barfolomew like this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

There Isn't a scheme that has been, will be, or currently Is. That will correct all the horrible traits and habits that Zach Wilson has. Schemes do not all of a sudden correct basic QB fundamentals. Mechanics. IQ.

Zero schemes are going to keep Zach Wilson from running a million miles backwards for no reason, taking sacks next to the sideline, dirting balls, throwing passes to the heavens above. Scheme won't cover up the fact that the kid just doesn't have what It takes to be a good NFL QB.

He has the tape and stats to show just how bad he was/Is. Despite the scheme. He literally couldn't do basic QB 101. It was disgusting to watch and I pray I never have to watch It again.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

that’s not an answer but okay bud

9. BrowningNagle

he has to learn to play from the pocket. I don’t care if Vince Lombardi is calling the shots.

NFL edge rushers are too good, he runs right into them. That’s why he ends up going backwards so much

Ralebird, IIMeanDeanII and barfolomew like this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And what of LaFleur's tendency to not have the right guys on the field, or even suited up to play because he was in pissing matches with them because they dared question his work? None of that has been proven but enough incidents have been discussed to make that seem like a real possibility.

JetFanInNE and barfolomew like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Bottom of the barrel? At least he can move right into the same office. Won't even need to adjust the chair or change the radio.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Rams officially hired Mike LaFleur as Offensive Coordinator today. I think it shows that he is well respected around the NFL as a talented young mind. Like I wrote before, I was worried the Jets could lose him after 2022 because he would become a Head Coach. I assumed Zach Wilson would become a Top 5 QB in the NFL too, so neither worked out, but he still has a bright future.

It just did not work with the Jets, and when you factor all that happened, I feel it was the right move to let him go. I still expect him to succeed though and eventually become a Head Coach. He is smart. Just needs to figure out how to deal with players.

Snatch Catch and Borat like this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m not yet convinced it was the right move, but it’s water under the bridge now. I think we had shitty QB play and a ton of injuries on OL, and the combination of those two factors would have sunk any system. Hard to succeed if your QB can’t make the simple throws and fails to see open receivers.

Not saying MLF was great and didn’t have issues…some of this behind the scenes stuff that is kind of bubbling up is concerning and maybe that was a big part of letting him go, but I think our issues were more player based than scheme based. More execution based than coaching based.

but we’ll see…I’m curious to see how MLF will develop…he may continue to struggle and validate our decision, or he may blossom and learn from his time here and then great, we’ll have provided the OJT for someone else’s benefit I guess…

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

While MILF was fired on merit, he had shit of OL and QB to deal with. That's tough to overcome no matter how good you are. He couldn't overcome it, didn't have the right approach to develop Zach, was predictable, not great in red zone, but with some more seasoning under McVey, who will call plays, in a bigger role than he had with Shanahan, plus having Jets experience in the bag, he can still develop into a good OC. I don't think this was a bad hire for McVey, since there is luxury to develop some things with him being a mentor and calling plays, unlike the Jets situation where MILF was THE guy on offense.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I can't believe that he got a OC job with the Rams like that. What is going on out here?

Many qualified getting passed up for a guy who just isn't ready

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think McVay believes what went down with the Jets wasn't MLF's fault.

BrowningNagle, JETFUEL1580 and Jets79 like this.
  17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

He'll be a figurehead, under McVay's wing... a good place for him to learn what an OC does. The scheme is in place, he probably won't be calling plays, he'll only be a part of game-planning, & he'll have input about offense related things.
    But obviously, the HC is the "guy" as far as the offense, which is great for him... no pressure, just learn as an intern.
    What's interesting to me, is that MLF is now in a position to learn about OCing, from a person who's done it before - - a former experienced OC. Kinda ironic that as OC of the Jets, he never gave Zach that same opportunity, to learn from an experienced coach with experience with young QBs.
    Kinda shows how the whole thing is a crap shoot, where people have to luck-out being in the right place, at the right time.
    Needless to say, Zach sucks, he's a generational bust, etc, etc...

#357 burf, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    cmcm750203, JETFUEL1580 and Cman68 like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Good for MLF. Good coach, smart guy... horrendous playcaller and decision-maker. This is a perfect role for him. He's a glorified assistant and can learn from McVay. Wouldn't be shocked to see him get head coaching looks in two years. He was the absolute wrong choice for us when we hired him.

cmcm750203, Lon Chaney and burf like this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He should probably brush up on his people skills too.

#359 bicketybam, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    cmcm750203 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  20. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Someone with a legit OC mind respects him.
    Go figure. Curious what McVay thinks of Zach.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.