Nathaniel Hackett hired as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

And you don’t need to change your screen name.

2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I have already submitted the request for an updated version of the name.

Wut? likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

On the surface, it feels very Same Ol’ Jetsonian to hire a guy that just failed miserably as a head coach.

When you peel back the Jets fan anger, you come to realize that he has been a pretty effective coordinator in the league and a guy who has shaped different types of offenses which tells me he is adaptable to the players rather than anal retentive about mah scheme mah rules.

He took Blake Bortles to within a half of the Super Bowl.

I’m indifferent about the hire. I don’t think it’s bad though. People should throw out the head coach stuff from last year. There have been tons of good coordinators that have failed as head coaches.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Jacksonville thing was kind of a fluke though lets be honest. He was fired the next season because they were dead last in scoring.

Even those playoff wins I mean they beat Tyrod Taylor 13-3, and the next week Roethlisberger fumbled away 14 points in a game the Jags were outgained significantly

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not the kind of "just fired" hire that gets you in trouble. Hackett is stepping down from HC to OC which is a level he had success at in the past. Unless he's in total freefall at this point he should be able to handle the job while also coping with his recent firing.

tomdeb and bicketybam like this.
  6. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Jacksonville was decimated by injuries in Hackett's second season. They went through 4 left tackles after Cam Robinson suffered a season ending injury.

WR Marquise Lee lost for season to injury and Leonard Fournette out 6 games. Sure all teams deal with injuries but, Hackett was hamstrung and took the fall. What else is new?

#386 BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    LAJet likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

you forgot the response….I think:)

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Guy had a middle of the road offense with EJ Manuel and fresh out of retirement Kyle Orton. Call it whatever you want in Jacksonville but he had a top 10 offense with Blake Bortles when the star running back was healthy. Not a bad match for a team that has a star running back with an emerging star receiver And hopefully at the very least a middle of the road quarterback if not a top-tier quarterback

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

EJ Manuel had many of the same failings Zach Wilson has. He struggled in the pocket, doing most his damage on rollouts and couldn't complete passes consistently. Hackett failed development with Manuel, it'll be the same here

Hopefully we bring in a decent veteran or 2023 will just be a wasted year as they clean house next winter. Saleh gets to give another friend a job for a year though I guess

10. Br4d

The Russell Wilson acquisition was a disaster at least in part because he was being acquired by a team with a HC just elevated from OC and also with an OC. Given Wilson's peculiarities that meant that he had to fight through two offensive minds to get to the offense he had always run and been successful in. He was unable to do that and had by far his worst year.

11. BroadwayAaron

EJ Manuel also just wasn’t good. Just because a guy plays quarterback in the NFL doesn’t mean he’s capable of being developed into a high-quality starter. I sure as hell don’t place the blame on Hackett 100% just like I don’t place the blame for Wilson on MLF 100%.

12. BrowningNagle

you don't, but Woody Johnson has

13. BroadwayAaron

what does it matter? MLF was not good at his job.

bicketybam likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

and Hackett is?

I think it matters a lot if a non-football doofus like Johnson is dictating football decisions

15. BroadwayAaron

Well you want to discredit everything without actually giving a reason as to why other than “it was a fluke” but there are actual football reasons this move makes sense. He’s certainly not great but he’s experienced and has a lot of success with RBs both running and receiving which matches up great with what we’re built to do.

16. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Unless you just killed him, I believe he still breathes.

Ralebird and bicketybam like this.
  17. Br4d

Hackett was about as good as the Jets were going to find with the HC on the hot seat headed into 2023. He's established credentials as an OC and he is a legitimate interim HC candidate if the Jets bomb out of the gate next season and have to fire Saleh.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah I agree…with our crappy QB situation and the perceived win now mandate on the coaching staff (real or not I do think there is the perception that it’s playoffs or else this year), I didn’t think we’d get a real top shelf candidate. We were always going to have to choose between either a newbie who’s never done it before, or someone who has done it but needs to rehabilitate this image after a failed coaching gig, or maybe perhaps a successful college coach looking to move into the NFL.

given all that, i didn’t think we’d go for a newbie…we just fired that guy in MLF.

I do think it’s better to have someone who’s done it before so at least we don’t have to go through the learning curve and growing pains.

so that being said, I’m still really “meh” on this hire. Probably the guy I really did not want, but we’ll see. He’s done it before, he’s had success in the role but there are definitely questions.,,he failed miserably as an HC with a potential HOF QB and that matters (like Dean pointed out, if you’re an offense or defense coach, at least your side of the ball should be good like our D was with Rex), and he didn’t call plays with GB so I don’t really know how much of their success was him vs. just Rodgers and LeFleur…yes he had success one year out of three with Jacksonville, etc.

I think there’s good and there are also a lot of issues, so not my preference, but he’s here so we’ll see.

Br4d likes this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear who the anti-Hackett crowd wanted instead. Let's hear some names.

tomdeb and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  20. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Fixed it. Wrote my reply in previous poster's quote. Thanks for the heads up.

LAJet likes this.