Nathaniel Hackett hired as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Jan 26, 2023.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Now here's a guy who get it! Let's goooooo!

2. victorhobson

victorhobson Member

Man I’m a lost of words man. His dad sucked big fudging BALLS. I have been a jets fan for almost 30 years. I just hope he’s not like his dad. His dad was 1 of the worst playcallers ever.

3. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Idk man.. I just don't know. This team is not one player away and if this move is setting up to go all in on Rodgers.... I just don't know. JD and Saleh swinging for the fences now

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

ithink he was referring to Paul Hackett, who’s number one play on third and long was a Curtis Martin draw … which almost always resulted in a punt on fourth down

I hated Hackett more than anything…he was absolutely terrible

barfolomew and victorhobson like this.
  5. victorhobson

victorhobson Member

oh yea he was horrible man, he was so predictable.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

How much closer can we be to 1 player away?!! Elite D, weapons on offense. What are the Bengals minus Burrow? Cheifs minus Mahomes? Bills minus Allen? Their rosters are that much better than ours? We are in fact 1 player away, our window is now.

7. NOVAJET

This mirrors my thoughts exactly.

8. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Sorry if this info has been posted already, I haven't read every single post in this thread.

Hackett may not be that bad.
    With Buf, he finished 22nd in points his first season, 12th his second. The difference was he had EJ Manuel his entire first season, while the second he had Kyle Orton for 12 of the 16 games. With Jax, he finished 27th, 3rd, and 24th in points, all with Blake Bortles as QB. The difference between the good and the bad seasons was that he didn't have Leonard Fournette in his first season, and Fournette rushed for only 439 yds in 8 games in his last season. The middle season Fournette rushed for 1040 yds.
    Hopefully we will have someone better than Orton or Bortles.

Ron

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm old enough to remember the FIRE HACKETT threads around here lolol

10. victorhobson

victorhobson Member

I remember those too man he was the worst. I would say worst than lafleur

Murrell2878, Cman68 and barfolomew like this.
  11. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Stephen A. not liking this hire makes me feel good about it.

12. bicketybam

To make that connection is pretty weak. They coaches in different eras ffs. People using this excuse as a reason to shit on the hire know absolutely nothing about Nathaniel Hackett other than his last name.

13. bicketybam

Where they referring to Nathaniel Hackett? Right.

burf and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

this is my issue

I was not a fan of a single person on that list…they were ALL uninspiring names.

A bunch of lower level offensive coaches who never were OCs before…not saying some of them wouldn’t become a good or great OC, but for THIS team and THIS coaching staff, none of those made any sense…we have a kind of win now mandate, whether Woody explicitly said it or not, it’s there, trust. So going through growing pains and learning curves was never going to work for us this year…we just went through that and fired the guy.

then we had some high level guy like Reich…ok that was a pipe dream…he was never going to consider this role and in any case he just got the Panthers HC job

so we’re left with this kind of candidate…experienced and some success but also plenty of question marks…

Let’s face it, I have a hard time believing that any true top A list candidate would have us at the top of the list…too many questions at QB (which Saleh confirmed in his press conference), and even if only in appearance, a coaching staff in a win now year … I guess some candidates may consider that an opportunity to take over as HC if it goes south with Saleh, but I think it’s more likely that everyone goes in that case…shit we just saw Wilks take over a disaster from Rhule in Carolina and he did a very nice job and he still got canned…

so this was the best we can do…a guy who at least has done it before, but has also flopped, and there are plenty of questions

he had success in GB which got him the Denver gig, but he didn’t call plays (wasn’t that a big issue with MLF? He could design plays but struggled with the flow of the playcalling)…he couldn’t make it work with a QB like Russell…like it or not that’s a huge red flag…I’m not buying onto the cherry picked red zone bullshit with GB…probably had more to do with Rodgers and talent than somehow Hackett’s wizardry with everything OTHER than actually calling the plays…get outta here. It’s BS.

so yah, I’m not excited about the hire..it may mean we are going for ARod…and even a 39 year old Rodgers is worlds better than what we had last couple of years…but no…this hire doesn’t excite me at all. But then again, none of them did of the names we’ve seen so far, but that was predictable from the start…too many questions at QB and coaching staff to be able to attract a top candidate.

hope I’m wrong…I do like Saleh’s comments and I do like bringing on more senior offensive coaches, so I’ll be watching and rooting but we’ll see

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Gonna have to dust them off in September

16. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Here for the negativity and as usual theres plenty lol who needs talking off the ledge?

17. NOVAJET

I am on that ledge, no negativity, just swinging my feet and whistling waiting for JD to build the bridge to glory so I can run up it.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As I thought about this, and the possibility that they get Rodgers, Arod may play more than 2 years at a high level - of course he may not, but he's stayed in good shape and avoided serious injury over the years, so it's possible - anyway, if he does, what does that do for Zach assuming they keep him? It then made me think of what happened with Steve Young early in his career - drafted by TB, played horribly for two years and then went and played in the USFl for a year before signing with SF to sit and play behind Joe Montana. That was only supposed to last a year or two but stretch into year 4 IIRC before Young finally took over, and then had his own HOF career.

All of this seems relevant now given Zach's close connection with Young, and what might possibly happen. It wouldn't be the worst outcome for ZW if he fashions anything close to this (while the Jets win a couple of SBs).

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm hoping - but doubtful - that they hire Kurt Warner to work closely with Zach, and provide additional high level POV to Hackett.

BleedJetsGreen1981 and Cman68 like this.
  20. bicketybam

Let's face it. There a large section of posters that would be bitching and complaining no matter who the Jets hired.