The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If things go sideways, Saleh's getting fired regardless. If he has his head on straight, he should hire the best OC he can, i.e. someone who can save his job.

2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

We need an OC who can win us some games. Saleh seems like he is comfidemt enough to handle someone who is a potrntial threat.

LAJet likes this.
  3. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

AND they had the #1 pick when there was a generational quarterback prospect coming out.

Little will change around here until they get a guy who can overcome the disfunction that is the Jets.

It will take either be a truly transformational young guy, or a proven veteran that will have the gravitas to get it done. After the last 2 failures we've drafted at quarterback, I'm ready to "screw them picks" and go with a veteran.

papapump, NYJetsO12, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I also have no problems with Jets drafting another young QB in later round and trying to develop him. Keep quality veteran in place, keep adding talent through draft and keep looking for hidden gem.

Not enough talented QBs coming out of college that can be drafted with top 5 pick.

So many qood QBs drafted late first round and after, it’s maddening that Jets don’t go that route more often.

5. Jets-N-Terps

I wouldn't hate that. Offensive head coaches are having a lot more success now, and Reich's problems were at quarterback, not his scheme or coaching.

papapump, LAJet, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jets-N-Terps

They did that with Geno Smith and Christian Hackenberg relatively recently. One took 10 years to develop, and the other is Christian Hackenberg.

I guess if they are going that route, they need to keep drafting until they get the right guy.

barfolomew and Red Menace like this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It’s exactly what they have to do, keep drafting the young QB if the value is there, Hackenberg was an overreach, and Geno just didn’t work out. It’s ok, keep going to the well. They tried it with Morgan too.

barfolomew likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But it doesn't matter much; these guys come cheap. Hell, I think the Jets should always be the first to sign a QB on Sunday night of the draft; the best bargains are found when the garage sale is over.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Jets-N-Terps

I've got no problem with that. Keep swinging until they get someone like Purdy who can just come in and play well.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

C'mon, guys, the answer is right there staring us in the face.

With Bill O'Brien hired as the Patriots' new OC, Matt Patricia is probably available. Sign this beast. This could be the Jets' biggest coup since Leon Hess rushed out and signed Rich Kotite.

JetFanInPA and Cman68 like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+10
    Of course it will be wasted !!
    You are keeping poor decision makers who will make bad decisions going forward
    But it’s same old W Johnson and SOJs:/

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

S
    it’s interesting because when JD drafted Morgan, there were A LOT of negative posts hating on the pick, and now we’re seeing plenty of posts asking for that exact thing.

truth is, we’ve done this plenty through the years…Bryce Petty, Morgan more recently, Clemons a while back…it hasn’t worked either

we have not proven we can develop a QB at all, whether he’s a top ten pick or a 2nd round pick or a 4th round pick.

my issue is that, while there are exceptions (Dak is a good example of a 4th round pick developing…and he just got blasted by his own team website), for the most part, QBs with REAL talent go first round, sometimes second round, but rarely go much later than that. Sure, Brady is the perfect example of a 6th round pick, and Purdy is showing well for a 7th round pick, but those are very rare … Brady is a unicorn who played for one of the best coaches ever, and Purdy walked into a stacked team with a brilliant offensive coaching staff and scheme (same scheme we just fired MLF from)…

so sure I don’t have an issue using a mid round pick on a QB to develop, but historically we have NEVER done it…shit…we’ve fucked it up with top ten picks like Sanchez, Darnold, and Wilson….so I’ve no confidence we can develop a fourth rounder…

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Nice sarcasm right there!!

IIMeanDeanII and Since1969 like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Aside from my continued assertion that the jury is still out on Wilson until we get a qualified OC here, I absolutely agree with your point about drafting QBs to develop them. When have the Jets ever done that successfully? They've yet to successfully develop a highly drafted QB aside from Namath! Of course this is a different regime and CS, but they failed to develop Zach and it's not clear they can. Many here will say "That's because Zach sucks and can't be developed", but AFAIK none of them are NFL coaches and are simply basing their opinions on watching football. I'm certainly no expert, but I've watched football for over 60 years and I think I have a bit of experience to support my opinions, but I still don't state them as "fact" they way many Zach haters do. And I've also coached and worked with kids off the playing field and know something about learning and teaching, and I believe that gives me some pretty good insight into what allows people - especially young people - succeed. Again, none of this makes me an expert, and also not having access to all the data and firsthand interactions with Zach, I can't say whether he can succeed, but I do think he still can based upon my experience.

But it all depends on whether the Jets get the right OC QBC and OLC in, and install a system that works with his strengths, instead of trying to force him to be something he's not.

What this all adds up to for me is, they sign a proven vet QB and let Zach sit and learn behind him and they do everything that can to develop him. If in 2 years they realize he'll never succeed, rather than draft another QB and fail again, go out and sign another proven vet to keep things going.

burf, barfolomew and NY Jets68 like this.
  15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Serious question: What exactly have you seen in Zach's performance that leads you to believe he's an OC away from being a solid NFL QB? On top of the eye test, wasn't he the worst rated QB or bottom 3 in the league in several important categories? I don't get into stats the way I used to but I thought I heard that during one of their broadcasts.

I have no ill will for Zach, it's just painful to watch him play and hold this team back. I wish him luck on his pro skater tour or whatever X game sport he chooses.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem with ZW is that his college play did not suggest a successful transition to the NFL. Most of the time a guy has the basics down and it's just a question of whether or not he can adjust to the difference in speed that the NFL presents.

At BYU Zach was throwing to open receivers most of the time and he knew a route was going to be open a couple of steps off the line of scrimmage. In the NFL you just don't get that except on the short percentage passes that he cannot make for his life anyway.

Ralebird and barfolomew like this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I was pounding the table for a veteran to start in 2021. Probably would've made it easier for LaFleur to call plays.

BrowningNagle and barfolomew like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

He has elite arm talent, and excellent mobility. He's shown he can read defenses and look defenders off. He has scrambled - although too few times - for plus yards. He was able to put his ego, and his "hero ball" tendencies from BYU aside and engineer victories for the Jets without being concerned about his passing stats. When given a clean pocket he has an above average rating.

That's what I've seen that leads me to believe that if he had a good OC and compatible system to work with eventually he'd turn things around. At this point however his self confidence is low, and he's second guessing himself. These first two years have not been conducive to his progress. And it may be that he never achieves his potential or anything close. IDK, I'm not an expert. But my "eye test" showed me a very talented young QB, and what I've seen in the past two years is an organization who promised to do everything they could to support him and they didn't because their former OC loved his scheme more than he loved seeing his players succeed.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

That's true of virtually every college QB. The ones who succeed wind up on teams that know how to develop them and have good players around them - especially a good OL. Of course there are exceptions, but they're rare. Most teams that wind up with a good QB they drafted know how to mold them into one. The Jets have never been able to do that.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the molding part is over-rated. I think the part that needs to happen after college is adjustment to speed and absorption of the new offense.

NFL teams do not teach footwork and timing and anticipation and touch. The QB either has those things or he doesn't and if he doesn't there's no molding on earth that is going to fit him to the NFL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.