Zach Wilson - MERGED (All Zach Threads will be merged here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 22, 2022.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Yes I would dismiss that too. And there's a difference between thinking he's going to fail if the Jets keep giving him chances (and therefore arguing against the Jets giving him more chances) and rooting for him to fail. If I felt like it, I could accuse you of rooting for Zach over the Jets. That would be ridiculous, but not as much as you might think since there is a poster who really did root for Zach over the Jets (a certain poster from North Carolina who no longer posts here). There aren't any posters who are rooting for a Jets player to fail.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He's not a kid; put that line to bed - he's an adult getting paid millions to perform as an adult. Maybe, like some here, Wilson has still not come to grips with the reality that he's expected to act like a grown up and earn those millions.

3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

mad props to Burfs fdor a series of simple Jet fan rooting fo the guy who has been a disappointment..

we keep missing on QBs ..maybe its over or maybe not... it was a brutal year for him. as much adversity than hes ever had likely.

seems like a decent young kid for me... same as Sam..who can root AGAINST Sam? nice kid.

we'll see.

ColoradoContrails, cval, burf and 2 others like this.
  4. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

You're probably my favorite poster. Such a unique style of posting.

Nyjets4eva and Lon Chaney like this.
  5. burf

burf Well-Known Member

He's gonna be on the team which you root for. So, you can boo him, or support him.
    I choose to support him, & his development, as long as he's on the team.
    He's 23, probably younger than some QBs drafted this April.
    He'll likely be on the Jets this coming season.
    So, what do you do?
    Do you just give up on him, & do nothing?
    Or do you try your best to surround him with coaches, players, whatever, that may be able to help him develop?

Forget everything else for a moment, do you think the kid has talent?
    Forget his upbringing, his religion, his economic status, his mindset, his stature, his toughness, etc, etc.
    Does he have the raw talent?
    If he has talent, how do you develop it, while teaching him how to use it effectively?
    In other words, how do you let Zach be Zach, to do what comes naturally to him, but teach him to be an NFL QB?

Simplistically, the mistake the Jets organization made, was they drafted him for his talent, then told him not to use it. They didn't put Zach in an environment to develop.
    So, he regressed into a confused, 2nd-guessing mess.
    Of course, you can disagree with me.
    I'm just speaking from my experience, when teachers, coaches, supervisors, etc, tried to make me something I'm not, rather than accentuating my natural talents, & helping me be the best I can be.
    If they let Zach be Zach, & teach him what an NFL QB is, he may discover on his own, what works & doesn't work for him.
    That's the only way to develop talent. Ya can't force it, punish it, wish it.
    You have to feed it.
    Whether the Jets do it right, or Zach responds... we'll see.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah…the thing that makes me chuckle is the “blame everything but himself” part…there were plenty of posts here that did just that…first it was the OL and the drops, but that has sided down now because shit, we gave him better weapons, and he looked just as shitty as last year and hasn’t improved at all.

So now it’s “we didn’t develop him” and MLF….funny to me…

how about he just sucks and can’t consistently make basic NFL throws?

in the end, I get that the contract means he will be on the roster next year most likely, and I agree that the best outcome for the team would be if he suddenly “gets it” and somehow turns it around next year and becomes the FQB that we so desperately need….

I just don’t think the odds are good on that, and I’m not on board with all the excuses that continue to be made for him…

7. burf

burf Well-Known Member

And since he was drafted, I wasn't a fan of Zach.
    Thought he was a spoiled rich kid, with accuracy issues, & maybe not the smarts to be a QB.
    But I started changing my opinion after the Pittsburgh game, when I saw him rally the team. And read afterwards how the players spoke of his leadership, & how he urged the players to "man up."
    Then after he faced the 'music' in his pressers, after being benched, & especially after he was booed off the field... he showed me courage, & toughness, I didn't think he had.
    So, here I am hoping the Jets bring in the right coaches, who give the kid a shot at developing.
    Go figger...

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wilson has been coddled. It is time to stop the coddling

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Wasn't coddled when he was benched after walking off the field in a 3-3 tie. At the time, he was (5-2) as a starter. The only win after that terrible decision by Saleh was against the team that ended up with the #1 pick starting their back-up QB. Zach would have won that game too. Instead his confidence was ruined and now we don't know if he will ever get it back.

So I wouldn't say coddled. I would say not properly developed, mishandled, and mistreated, actually.

ColoradoContrails, cval, burf and 2 others like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he should've been benched long before that performance in New England but yes I agree, that was the 1st time they didn't coddle him. It was refreshing

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I don't think the Jets are just a QB away from going deep into the playoffs. They do need to shore up their OL, they need to figure out why their runners, except for Hall, disappointed last year, if Moore can be a counterpoint to GW, or get other receiving options, plus maintaining and even beefing up their defense. They need to hit on draft picks and free agents. They really cannot afford to trade high draft picks or spend a boatload on a QB and have no money for other needs. If they were able to get a young, great QB, OK, you have other years to build the team around him. Unless ZW turns out to be that, it ain't happening next year. But they could possibly have a terrific team with an OK QB, if they draft and trade well. So I'm against going after Rodgers or other guys who will deplete the resources they need. I'm all for getting a middle kind of QB who won't break the bank, trying to fix ZW, if possible, and seeing what's available somewhere in the draft. Not to be farcical, but if the rest of the team can approach the quality of SF, I would be very happy.

DetroitRed likes this.
  12. Losmeister

yup. and its still a toss up if he can be an NFL QB.

i been rooting for him since i started looking around for Qbs not names FGiled or Lawrence before that draft and landed on him and Trey Lance.

I thought either Fields or Zach or trading down for Trey were things the Jets could do that seemed a reasonable way to address the post Sam QB spot.

13. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

How exactly did Bam Knight disappoint?

14. Losmeister

that and the GB game... he made plays in the 4th Q and started to look as if he was taking a step toward legit NFL QB play...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Post of the year. It should be a signature.

16. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

3.5 per carry. the entire running game fell apart the latter part of the year and BK did not lift it. He was merely competent, like a thousand other runners.

17. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The bar's pretty high for 4th string practice squad players these days ;)

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. Losmeister

only for _____ Jet fans who thought his debut meant he was really almost as good as Bryce

bleedgreen likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Whatever chances Zach gets, I hope he succeeds at them. But the Jets shouldn't be making their decisions based on him anymore. Whoever the Jets hire for OC should be the best candidate available without regard for whether his scheme could be a good fit for Zach (though if he's the best available that will hopefully correlate with him being able to coach Zach well). And when it comes time to sign or draft a QB, that should be done assuming Zach is like any other developmental backup. Given that, we should try to develop him like we would any other player on the team, and we should hope he gets better and can contribute if the opportunity arises. But I don't think he has some sort of special talent that should result in the team revolving around him going forward; his physical traits are better than most QBs who have put up his numbers, but his mental traits (on the field stuff, not character) are worse. I hope he can fix it, but we need to put the Jets first.

#419 HomeoftheJets, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    burf likes this.
  20. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

So a player undrafted who makes a late season contribution is disappointing? Most of these players don’t make rosters. Are you aware of that? How is that disappointing?