Year End Grade: Joe Douglas - GM

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for Joe Douglas

1. A+ to A-

12.4%
  2. B+ to B-

53.7%
  3. C+ to C-

20.7%
  4. D or below

13.2%
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

His first two drafts sucked. And as good as 2022 was, was it really improvement, or is he going to regress again?

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Douglas was going to get another coach hire this was the year. After next year he'll be going into the last year of his contract and you have to extend him at that point if you let him hire a coach. Nobody decent is going to come to work for a franchise where the GM is a likely lame duck.

My evaluation of him as a GM right now is that he lacks confidence in his ability to find talent. This explains the trade ups since he sees them as a surer thing than what will drop to him. This also explains the repetitive signings of veteran OL to ridiculous contracts. He's reasonably sure of their ability and so he signs them. The costs of his lack of confidence are in depth and cap space.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Zach is Zach ..I dont get if he "continues " to be a failure (he is shit)

ok my glasses are on now lol..and what picture do I see in the papers>>>a F'ing mess thanks to Douglas

Lots of hoping this or that will turn out

Again..as of this moment no interest in an OC coming here; no official contact acceptance for a Vet QB

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe Woody doesn't hire Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf to make his next hire. What he could do would be to elevate JD to President of Football Ops, and then let JD hire a GM with experience. Let that GM then hire his HC and so on down the chain of command. JD will get to finish his contract, but his record will predicate whether he gets a 2nd..

NY Jets68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

7 at a minimum. He can't afford a regression. Neither can Saleh realistically. 9-10 would be tangible improvement enough to buy the both of them another year or so.

barfolomew and NY Jets68 like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's not a bad idea. For sure that means Woody won't do it.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

His 1st draft? yeah it did. mind you the becton injury thing was bad luck. he looked like a stud before missing 2.5 years. plus it was the covid draft with really limited access to prospects and his 1st draft as a GM
    his 2nd draft is far from a bust. Yeah zach isn't panning out but AVT is a stud and pro bowl caliber lineman who played 4 positions at a high level. Elijah moore is at worse a solid WR2 with low end WR1 potential. and MC2 looked like a steal in the 4th round. the rest were late round fliers. remember he used a lot of capital to get AVT.
    his 3rd draft has been legendary so far.

he's improved every year

Brook! and Jets79 like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

Regarding Becton, if you draft a tackle that heavy, you don't get to claim bad luck when he gets hurt. Regarding the 2021 draft, if you make a list of worst draft picks of the 21st century, Zach would be on it. That in and of itself makes the draft bad. AVT is a stud, and unlike Becton, I think he'll recover from his injury, so that pick was good. No way is Moore a solid number two; I'd love to see him improve, but he's got more in common with the other Jets second round receivers than he does a good one. MC2 is a very good player, but in the end, he and AVT don't make up for the Zach disaster. JD's drafts have gotten better every year (though it's more like F, D, A), but it doesn't mean he's actually improved; it's not clear whether 2022 represents improvement, or whether he'll regress to his old self next year.

#228 HomeoftheJets, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  9. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I am a hopeful man, i said if because until he is out of the league i will hope he can turn it around, unlikely as it may be.

Geno has shown us such hope need not be fool hardy

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

Bart..you are a smart young faithful Fan that may possibly see the day this Franchise turns it around through sale of ownership or Johnsons dropping dead

That's 30 years on the horizon I probably dont have in this lifetime

barfolomew likes this.
  11. barfolomew

I gotta say your point on becton is valid, he's too big, like kris jenkins was. I hope becton can get healthy because he is a monster when he is. That said i won't hold my breath and we definitely need oline in the first round

12. barfolomew

Dude, you just made me sad. Don't die until we win another superbowl please

13. NYJetsO12

JD deserves what?? A promotion ? really?? Wow CM ! There is NO evidence the mans decisions over past 3 years have done anything significant for the Jets...again the Defense look s ok . But our D was good with Mac and Idzik too

I need to see tons more progress....actually I doubt Saleh or JD survive keeping their jobs and are fired mid season like the loser Hackett in Denver

14. NYJetsO12

The question is will you be still alive when it happens ..hehehe

If you are ..God Bless

Brook! and barfolomew like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

thats such a dumb take. almost as bad as "if a QB isn't 6'5" you are dumb for taking him" nate newton was 6-3 400lbs and made 6 pro bowls, 2 all pros, won 3 superbowls and played 17 years. there have been plenty of large lineman, some good, some bad. you don't ignore talent and he didn't have an injury history in college and his injury happened when he got rolled up on from behind which is a common way all lineman get injured.

as far as zach busting out, it happens to a lot of high pick QBs. from the 021 draft all the QBs look like busts except tlaw and he wasn't an option. Qbs went 1,2,3 and both 2 and 3 look busts. hell lance lost his spot already to the last pick in the draft this year. it seems like lately 75% or more of 1st round Qbs just aren't making it anymore.

I'm not saying his 1st 2 drafts were great in hindsight, they weren't. but he's improved the team every year and our roster looks stacked mostly thankful to the 2022 draft. he's gotten better every year at drafting and turned the whole roster around. all he needs to do is get a decent QB and seems like we are going to shoot for one this offseason. but again this thread is soley on grading JD for this season and this season he was phenomenal and zach has nothing to do with it.

16. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

This might go in my signature! ha!

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It'll be next to impossible to have another monster draft class this year, but there needs to be at least 2 starters and 2 depth players brought in. Rinse and repeat in 2024.

barfolomew likes this.
  18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

How Becton was injured was common, you’re correct. How Becton differs is the fact he took significantly longer to rehab than normal, and during that time was purported to be out of shape which likely played a part in his long rehab and possibly his subsequent reinjury. Both his weight and injury’s were a red flag on him coming out of college. We were not a team to be drafting for ceiling with risk, we needed blue chip players. It was a bad pick and so far the only thing that has panned out for Becton are the red flags.

19. HomeoftheJets

Sure, there are examples of huge lineman who stayed healthy and were great. There are also examples of other players with red flags who turned out to be great. But you still can't claim bad luck if one of those red flags turns out to be a real problem.

In the 2021 draft, the non-Lawrence QBs don't look great, but Fields and Mac Jones are still light-years ahead of Zach. They're going through normal young-player struggles, and while they may never overcome them, they aren't playing like Josh Rosen 2.0. And Lance lost his job, but that's more because Brock Purdy is playing like he's the second coming of Brady.

And I know how good the 2022 draft was, which is why I'm alright with Douglas getting another year. Still, this thread is not about grading him for this season; I asked that on the first page and was told it's about grading him based on his entire Jets tenure.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

I get that, but how could JD or anyone know how long his rehab would take when he's never been hurt before drafting him? The out of shape thing could be true, but it could also not. no way we'll ever know for sure. he didn't have red flags for injury concerns and he was a highly graded prospect at a position of need.

The draft is a crapshoot we all know that, and no team can always make the best choice in hindsight, but becton didn't have injury flags. and he was the top graded player on most people's board and a huge position of need. it's hard to fault it. not like he reached for some low rated player or took someone who missed 2 years. I mean look at the texans taking stingly 3rd overall instead of sauce after stingly missed a year. sometimes you go for the player that seems the most impactful and becton really was

Ralebird and barfolomew like this.