Zach Wilson - MERGED (All Zach Threads will be merged here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 22, 2022.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Bingo!

2. JETFUEL1580

And Double Bingo!

3. JETFUEL1580

I thought certain posters stated they were out on Zach after his last performance against Jacksonville. Are we pivoting back? Zach doesn't look like a starting NFL QB. It's not his fault, we've seen these types over and over and over again throughout the history of the NFL. It's just what it is, and the Jets unfortunately have been the beneficiary of this curse for god knows how long. Zach doesn't have the presence of a starting NFL QB. He has the presence of a Mitchell Trubisky, and that's an insult to Trubisky if we are being fair.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Maybe they could park a Plymouth, a Pontiac and a Mercury around the sidelines to help guide the receivers.

5. Ralebird

Then you need to verify what you read: "still did not play great" does not equate to having no improvement. "Never as bad as he did his rookie season" does equate to improving in his second year. Instead of interpreting the article the way you want why not check the facts and get back to us based on reality?

6. Ralebird

I'm asserting nothing - just read what is written. Any erroneous inference drawn is on you. Deal with reality and not hypotheticals. What I said was that the biggest assumption was the loss of Knapp made a significant negative difference in Wilson's development. Once again there is no way to support that claim which is repeated here daily; it is strictly hypothetical. For a guy who likes things proven, you certainly change the rules when coaching Wilson is the topic.

#386 Ralebird, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I assume you mean me when you say "certain posters". And yeah, I was pretty down on him after that game, but once I took a step back and considered everything, especially the things that came out since about how LaFleur admitted they probably made a mistake in starting Zach right away, and then it was revealed that he didn't think Zach was the right QB for his system, and watching the team still struggle on offense, I realized that while Zach does have issues, there were other things at play besides him. And too, realizing that Lawrence - who many were calling a bust last year - all of a sudden is playing great after they changed coaches to someone who actually knows how to coach offense and young players.

So yeah, after considering all of that, I've backed off my original thoughts from that thread. I now think the Jets should keep him and try to resurrect the player they saw when they drafted him by hiring an experienced OC who has success working with young QBs, but also they should acquire a proven vet QB who has the ability to take them to the SB (and hopefully win it), and let Zach sit and learn for a while.

But if being openminded and willing to change your mind is a bad thing here, maybe I should go elsewhere. Hope that clarifies things for you.

burf, bicketybam and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  8. JETFUEL1580

I have no issues with you or your opinion/take on Zach. I was just curious on why you and "certain posters" had a change of heart considering Zach was shut down for the rest of the year. You've clearly stated your reason why and you are more then entitled to your overall opinion on the matter. Also, when I said certain posters I do remember your thread about Zach, but I wasn't singling out you personally. Could have sworn there were a couple more poster who felt the same, but I guess that's neither here nor there. Be as openminded as you want it's a free country brother, again I wasn't personally taking a dig at you.

I hope as you do that they bring in another QB to lead this team to the playoffs. After this weekend Buffalo doesn't look so mighty anymore going forward, and they are gonna have to cut bait with some guys primarily on defense. The division is there for the taking. If they chose to keep Zach I will have no issues with that. Hell, even your theory of bringing in a more experienced OC who can develop Zach better isn't a horrible take at all. I just feel that there is to much bad blood at this point with the fans for this kid to get a fair shake going forward, and anytime he makes a mistake, he'll get killed for it. That has to be in the back of his mind. Let's put aside his receivers and other players on the team for now. It's better he just gets a fresh start somewhere else, but as we know he's not going anywhere. Wishing for a good off season and another killer draft. I think you feel the same way so let's see how it plays out going forward.

#388 JETFUEL1580, Jan 24, 2023
    papapump and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Sorry for responding in negative fashion. I'm just tired of not only trying to present an openminded view of the ZW situation (while acknowledging that I'm not immune from bias either), but also being accused of backpedaling from previous comments I've made.

I actually agree with much of what you wrote here. I have no sworn allegiance to Zach. If he doesn't figure things out - with the help of qualified coaching and allowed to play in a system that's conducive to his strengths - they ought to send him away and hopefully for his sake he lands somewhere where he finds those things. And as I said, I think the Jets need to bring in a proven vet QB to run things until - and if - Zach can take over.

Yes, for the most part, we agree, and we agree on the hope that this is another good offseason for JD.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  10. JETFUEL1580

It's all good ColoradoContrails. You're one of the better posters on here, and we've certainly never had any issues during my time on this board.

With that said Breece Hall coming back hopefully at full strength along with AVT, and the Jets are being mocked to take an OL in most mock drafts in the first round. We should be ready to make some kind of run hopefully with a better OC. Most exciting thing again is that Buffalo doesn't look invincible going forward and the division won't be a repeat of the Pats the last 2 decades or so. Although I didn't expect the Bills to be that good for that long but you get my point.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. burf

burf Well-Known Member

As an aside... a short clip of Aaron Rodgers on Zach, & some Jets weapons...

#391 burf, Jan 24, 2023
  12. ColoradoContrails

It would be great if Zach could get "coaching" like this from a guy who's done it, and knows what he's talking about. If the Jets really want to rehab Zach, they should really consider getting Rodgers.

13. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I actually updated that clip to a slightly longer one.
    I can't see them getting Rodgers, only because his contract would really hurt improving the rest of the team, & any long term success. And also, a trade probably wouldn't happen til after June 1st.
    Here's a jetsxfactor take on his contract...

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/01/24/aaron-rodgers-target-ny-jets/

14. ColoradoContrails

Not being a contract-savvy guy, my question is:

Since the Packers wouldn't want to trade him before June 1 in order to save that big hit, and since the Jets wouldn't want to wait until then to get him on board, is there anything barring the Jets from agreeing to pay the Packers part or all of that money and getting him by the March window? If the Jets did that would it count against their cap?

It seems to me that if the Packers, Rodgers, and the Jets want to make this happen, they ought to be able to figure something out. Other teams always seem to be able to.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Ralebird and Jets-N-Terps like this.
  16. burf

burf Well-Known Member

If Aaron Rodgers said Zach sucks, & is a generational bust, I'm sure you'd dismiss that too, correct?

What I don't understand is why as a Jets fan, you & some others, go out of your way to dismiss anything positive said about Zach? It's like you're rooting for him to fail, just so you can be right.
    I have no idea if Zach'll ever amount to anything, especially after the way the Jets have mishandled him, but the kid is 23, has the raw talent, & is gonna be on the team next season. I want him, if he's gonna succeed, to do it here.

17. JETFUEL1580

I'm just concerned about how his teammates and fans will receive him when he hits a skid. You keep hearing things from most media how elated his teammates were when he got benched, and you know us Jets fans aren't the most optimistic and most will boo the shit out of him when he throws a pick. I don't get the feeling Zach is mentally strong enough not to let them get to him. He'll be here next season, but maybe he shouldn't be.

18. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I said this earlier in this thread. Zw had never known failure. He came anointed as the savior. He failed. He has 2 ways to go. Blame everything else but himself, or realize he must do things differently to suceed. If he takes the latter attitude, he has a chance. Maybe his skill level will never be there, but he has a chance. If he sees himself faultless, so to speak, he wont be on this team for long.

19. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about his teammates. The media is mostly about controversy, only the loud ones get their attention. We don't know the whole story.
    Also, MLF is gone. He alienated players (see trade requests), allowed players to wear divisive T-shirts & the whole soap opera dysfunctional mess the offense became. Any OC worth anything, will quickly get all the players onto the same page.
    As for the fans, lots of dumb people. Booing a kid on 'your' team in the first qtr, who the team has heavily invested in, after he's lost confidence, is not exactly what home-field advantage is about. If he plays better, the majority of fans will follow suit. Those that say they're fans, yet root against him to be right, they'll quiet down.
    Lastly, it took mucho courage after his "no, no" comment, to face the media, & thoughtfully answer questions... & do it again & again, especially after he was booed off the field at home. For a 23 yr-old-kid to do that, at probably the lowest point in his life, showed me he has toughness I didn't think he had.

Of course, who knows how he'll respond to a new OC, & whether he can recover from the public thrashing he's endured, but as a Jets fan, I can only root for the kid.

20. JETFUEL1580

Nice post. We'll see how things progress throughout the months. We need a proven OC that's for sure. Last years offense was pitiful to watch no matter who was under center, especially after Breece went down.

ColoradoContrails and burf like this.