Mike LaFleur out as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you don't have the knowledge in house as to how to develop a QB you will wind up doing exactly what the Jets have done repeatedly: throw a young guy out on the field to flounder who eventually gives way to a more experienced type who doesn't flounder but is not good enough to keep the job for more than a season. This puts you back on the draft wagon where you repeat the cycle.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

No need to interpret that... just read what I said, & meant, without filtering it through whatever you filter it through.
    Very simply, I meant what I said.
    No need to "If by this, you mean..."
    No need to ask anything... it's clear English.
    I have no bias, I'm just a fan who saw what a shatshow coaching staff was thrown at Zach, & I want to see how Zach responds to an NFL coach, before I pass judgement on him.
    A lot of it is based on Zach's current confidence level. When I saw tape of him in college, I saw a kid whose game was fed by his confidence. Not confidence like all QBs need, but in order for Zach to do his thing (express his unique talent), he needs to be on-full as far a confidence. He feeds on confidence.
    All great QBs are daring. Zach has that in him. He needs to find his confidence... say "fuck all the bs," and just learn to do his thing.
    MLF & his boys tried to reign in Zach's thing. That didn't work. He needs to be worked with by a smart coach. He needs to be trained to tame it. To work with it.
    Had the Jets started coaching Zach, at the start, to become an NFL QB (rather than fitting into a scheme), it might be a different Zach now.
    Coaching really matters, especially to kids just outta their teens... and the Jets got it very wrong.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

1. You better get hold of a moderator because apparently somebody stole your ID. This is called "revisionist history."

2. It's not the "scheme," it's which player belongs on the field to win games! In the NFL winning games.

3. The most important player on the field is the guy who can best get the job done today! Not some guy who got drafted way too high and was handed a job because of scouting and drafting mistakes. That guy never gets off the bench until he is better than anyone else at the position. Having faith in the guy doesn't count. Hoping he's the guy doesn't count. What he did in college means nothing. Potential doesn't put points on the board.

If the day should ever come that Wilson gets hit by lightning and is transformed into an NFL quarterback that is the day I won't have a problem with him on the field. It may be correct that he hasn't been proven that he can't be what any Jets fan wanted him to be but to a much higher degree he has proven that he's not.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I'd normally want pete carmichael as our oc to replace lafleaur. He's an experienced coach with a history of winning. That said there seem to be a lot of pretty talented options available. Any clear frontrunners.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Albert Breer is reporting that LaFleur is the front runner for the LA Rams offensive coordinator job

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

With a HC that knows offense, and a veteran QB and team, he'll likely do much better there. He had none of those things here.

7. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

He will be fired in two years tops

barfolomew likes this.
  8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He will do much better there because he won't be calling the play. Easier to hide the incompetence that way.

cval, Nyjets4eva and barfolomew like this.
  9. burf

burf Well-Known Member

If the report is true, he'll do much better there, with marginal responsibilities. It won't be his scheme, he won't be calling plays, he'll only be a part of game-planning... he'll basically be a figurehead, & maybe he'll be able to learn what an OC does?

10. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting statistical analysis of MLF's 2022 season... from jetsxfactor.
    My biggest problem with it, is that Nania always ignores an OC's responsibility, when players don't/can't execute his plays. Part of an OC's job is to put his players in a position to succeed. If they have trouble executing his plays, no matter how gorgeous a design, the play will fail.
    -----> https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/01/24/ny-jets-oc-mike-lafleur-areas-control/

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What's pissing me off about this latest episode of mismanagement by the FO/CS of the Jets is that it feels so haphazard. As if there was no plan in place to replace MLF. Probably because there was no real plan to fire MLF in the first place if it wasn't for some "intervention" by an unknown quantity.

Now? Its looking more and more like Saleh will hire just about anyone who will say yes despite the mandate to bring experience into the bldg. This approach stands almost no chance of succeeding in a short timeframe. Saleh knows this, JD knows this and Woody is just biding his time before making the decision he should have made already.

#331 Cman68, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    barfolomew, IIMeanDeanII and Jets79 like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Yes, interesting, but this strikes me of a case where someone is trying to solve a problem using only numbers/stats. Despite that, his measurements somewhat support the conclusion that MLF was not very good.

Here's some other takeaways:
    • He consistently referred to LaFleur and those who are presumably measured by these stats as "play callers", but that's only one part of their job. And while these numbers show that he wasn't very good at that, he had other problems in his other areas of responsibilities, chiefly, designing an offense that his players could effectively execute, and developing Zach Wilson.
    • While the numbers apparently show that the players were more to blame for the lousy production from screens, IMO LaFleur often called them at predictable times, and/or their designs were easily predictable by the defense. So I think this "stat" is faulty in it's assumptions.
    • As the "predictability" stat shows some very good teams were more predictable than the Jets, so I question the validity of this stat too. I'm reminded of Vince Lombardi who said his offense pretty much consisted of "Sweep left; Sweep right", or as it was called then "The Lombardi Sweep". Teams knew they were going to run often but couldn't stop it. Why? Execution. So if predictability isn't necessarily a good indicator of good play calling, why did the Jets plays so often get sniffed out or stuffed by the defense? On the surface it would indicate poor execution by the players, and certainly that's part of the answer, but was that because the players just weren't very good, or maybe because the plays weren't designed very well, or they were called with no attention to rhythm. In any case, this measurement doesn't really reveal these aspects.
    The conclusion of what "buried him" - being 4th worst in overall scores across the four categories measured - isn't the only reason. His failure to develop Zach, and more likely, his resistance to even trying to either get ZW to be successful in his offense, or modifying it to suit Zach's strengths, is perhaps an even bigger reason, if we accept the continued public support of Zach by Woody, Douglas, and Saleh.

In hindsight, hiring a novice OC to go along with a novice HC who was defensive-minded was a serious mistake. If Douglas had not had some great successes in player acquisitions under his belt, it would clearly be grounds for firing him and Saleh. Whoever he and Saleh hire as the OC next they had better be highly qualified and have the skills to overcome the rest of the problems the Jets have.

13. BrowningNagle

Execution is usually something you blame the players for. Given they are the ones between the lines. And the front office picks the players not the offensive coordinator

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

There is a huge divide between the front office and the coaching staff. They are not on the same page for many things including the offensive coordinator

15. ColoradoContrails

There's more to how well players execute than simply their own ability/effort, like play design, game flow, scheme, etc.

burf and Cman68 like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

correct but scheme and play designs were Lafleur's strengths. And why the Rams want to hire him

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

And those are the players he has to work with, so he must design a scheme, & plays the players can execute.
    If many players aren't executing, it's incumbent upon said OC to adjust his scheme/plays to maximize the players' ability to succeed... & to adjust his scheme/plays to utilize the talents of said players.
    As for the blame game, when a team has a lot of penalties, it's the players, as well as coaching at fault.
    Same with execution.

ColoradoContrails and JetFanInNE like this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

MLF gets a great job as an OC for the Rams.

Of course NYJ fans make excuses for the move. Discrediting him completely by claiming Sean McVay Is the only competent offensive mind. What a joke.

Meanwhile we are looking at the bottom of the barrel for our next OC.

Smooth.

Yet a lot of you still think we are better off now for It.

Good times.

barfolomew likes this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He was hired? I missed that.

20. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Strengths? For what team... what set of players?
    His players are the tools he has to execute the scheme/plays.
    If the players have trouble executing the scheme/plays, then what?
    A scheme & play designs mean nothing, if it doesn't fit the players he has to work with.
    And that's what ultimately led to MLF failing with the Jets... his pretty scheme/plays didn't work with his players, & he chose not to adjust.
    And that's the problem with a lot of these 2nd-generation coaches, who worked under innovators. They don't innovate, they just follow someone else's scheme, & if it doesn't work it's crickets.

barfolomew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.