Studs and Duds 2022-2023 NFL season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 8, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the last line was simply a factual statement of my expectations. no different then saying i expect the sun to set at night or I expect wilson to get 1k yards next season

people are allowed to discuss but the point of discussion is you know to actually have a counter point. not your feels because you are upset we missed the playoffs when we had a chance.

and yes that is a good culture, players supporting their teammates. zach had to be held accountable for his bad play and was. this isn't little league with participation trophys. you don't have players not support a backup because the starter may get upset.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

We know one thing for sure…
    Only one team has already thrown in the towel on their QB pick, the #2 overall.
    What an epic waste of draft capital.

The rest are TBD, but have all shown at least glimpses that they belong in this league.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The "Mike F*N White" t-shirts were a bad look.
    I like Saleh... but he should have nipped that shit in the bud... same for showing up to games in costumes... ridiculous.

He also mis-handled the quarterback situation.. badly. He shouldn't have put Zach back on the field after he was benched and he shouldn't have played White with his 5 broken ribs.

Six straight losses and three straight games without a touchdown.
    That's pathetic for a professional football team.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

My last line was also factual, if a bit generous: "Mediocre record, mediocre team. mediocre coaching staff." Nothing studly about it.

Jets69 likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

throwing in the towel sooner rather then later is a positive though TBH. imagine if arizona didn't throw in the towel on rosen and rode him out a few more years
    Disagree TBH. teams supporting their starting QB is a good thing.
    jets had success and were having fun and yeah being a little cocky.

as far as the QB situation goes, it's easy to say it was wrong but what was a better option? flacco was the worse of the 3. we were in the hunt, white wanted to play, he waited until he was cleared. starting flacco was a guarantee we didn't win a game. at least zach or a beat up white gave us a chance. we really only needed 1 or 2 good plays from either with the way our defense is playing but we didn't get it. not sure what he could have done better

yes the losses and pitiful offense thing is a huge negative, but that is much more on MLF and the injuries and lack of QB talent then it is on saleh. it's amazing how people will rip on saleh for the offense sucking with a bust QB, a washed old QB, and a beat up journeyman. while missing 2 1st round o-lineman, and a stud RB but won't give an ounce of credit to him for taking a bottom 3 defense into a top 5 defense. Hell everyone ripped on him saying he'll never fire MLF and look MLF already gone.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

goring from one of the worst to mediocre is still a big improvement. that's also factual. can't do that without having a few studs. the idea that even the worst team in the NFL can't have a good player is false as well. the lions had the best WR in the NFL but were awful. by your logic calvin johnson was bad

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think the t-shirt thing was a bad look... and they blew that game against the Vikes... and the next five.
    It definitely didn't help Zach's confidence when he had to start in place of Mike F*N White two weeks later.

And if Flacco wasn't good enough to start... why is he on the team?
    Play Streveler at that point.

Saleh gets all probs for turning the defense around... problem is that he's the head coach... responsible for both sides of the ball.
    His job is to put points up on the scoreboard and keep the opponents from doing the same.

Can he be half a stud? :rolleyes:

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

I mean supporting your teammate is never a bad thing. Who cares about zachs feelings. he has a job to do and wasn't getting it done. hopefully the adversity turns him around. coddling him wasn't working.

as far as flacco goes, becuase lack of talent. every team has at least 2 QBs that aren't good enough to start. hell some teams don't even have 1 good enough to start (including the jets) there are a reason backups are backups. it's a break glass in case of emegency because it's better then nothing. flacco is on the team for the same reason you have little fire extinguishers. it's better then nothing but if the whole place is up in flames it won't do shit.

I agree the coach is responsible for the success of the team but again based on exceptions prior to the season he met and/or exceeded them all. losing AVT and breece was when our offense went to shit. teams can only sustain so many injuries. If we had breece and AVT we likely make the playoffs

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Going from crap to mediocrity is an improvement; it is what the coach is paid to do - his job description. It does not make someone a stud; it keeps him from getting fired. For a while.

If you think that Calvin Johnson or the Detroit Lions have anything to do with judging the performance of Robert Saleh, you are sadly mistaken. You're not even close.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

wow. The head coach should tell his players what they can and can’t wear?

fuck that

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Be great if t-shirts & costumes produced a win.
    All it produced was further SOJ embarrassment.

fuck that

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

they are grown men and can wear what they want

Not only that what they wear off the field has nothing to do with their performance on it.

you’d think Jets fans of all fans would recognize that. Our most famous player ever, SB champion QB wore fucking ladies jackets on the sideline

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

you are the one that said a bad team can't have studs.
    and you still failed to give any reason on why saleh wasn't a stud outside of injuries piled up at key spots and we had a losing streak to end the season. which takes away more then half the season. calling him a dud based on 6 games out of 17 isn't a fair assessment factually.

14. Ralebird

You are, once again, 100% incorrect. That is not at all what I said. Why make things up and continue to divert the conversation away from Saleh who is the only person I have referred to in this thread? I also never called Saleh a dud; but if he wasn't he was damn close.

Looking at the season as a whole (your specification) shows a mediocre result of a mediocre team directed by a mediocre Head Coach. Why remove all blame from the Head Coach for a total six game collapse? Why not justify what it is that made him a stud in your mind? Surely you're not trying to say the team failed because of injuries and that made him a stud are you? And you can't be relieving him of any responsibility for the collapse, can you?

15. GasedAndConfused

a stud weighs the good and bad. if the good outweighs the bad, it makes them a stud.
    Saleh deserves some flack for the ending for sure, but if a QB throws 15 INts doesn't make him a dud if he also threw 50 TDs and 5000 yards.
    Head coaches are generally judges solely based on team performance. we improved 3 games from 2022, defense went form bottom 3 to top 5, and we were in the playoff picture through week 17 where in the past we've been out of it by week 6-8
    all 3 of those are major improvements. which make him a stud. all the teams expectations were met or exceeded. it's really simple. you just are being emotional about 1 stretch of the season so not objectively judging him on the whole of the season. I already justified my explanation but you have failed to justify why he's not a stud. hell even calling the jets mediocre is really agreeing with me because thats a big improvement from one of the worst

16. BrowningNagle

any coach who loses 6 games in a row is not a stud. That's my definition of the term

Ralebird and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

well your definition is bad. so if a coach wins 11 in a row, then loses 6, makes the playoffs at 11-6 and wins a SB, he's a dud? or say even the reverse, loses the 1st 6, then wins 11 straight, makes the playoffs, and wins a SB. still a dud?

18. BrowningNagle

Let me know when that happens

19. GasedAndConfused

doesn't matter if it did or not. you set a standard that made no sense and I proved it wrong so find a new hill to stand on because that hill crumbled under your feet

20. Ralebird

Studs and duds are the extremes not the masses of mediocrity. Saleh should be ranked with all those other guys you simply left off because they were neither stud nor dud, particularly when you made the rule of judging the list by performance for the entire season. Stop comparing 2022 to anything in the past or you're breaking your own rules.

In calling guys studs and duds no one gets judged on team performance, they each get judged on what they did individually to contribute to team performance - good or bad. It's like a bell curve and the studs and duds are at the feet; the majority are humped together in the middle of mediocrity and don't belong to either.

If you want to talk about week 17 be honest enough to admit it was the tail end of a total collapse and grade that rather than "almost" anything favorable. It's not horseshoes or hand grenades so almost doesn't mean squat.

And stop with the fake quotes of what you wanted me to say. If you wish to quote me, do it accurately rather than create a false scenario - that's the definition of strawman after all.