2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think people like Minshew. Just not as Option 1/Plan A. If you can't get Carr, Rodgers and Lamar are not traded, and Jimmy G signs elsewhere, Minshew becomes a reasonable option. He could work out or he may not, and that is not what the Jets are looking for right now. They want a sure thing upgrade that will get fans excited for 2023.

2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

There is no chance the 2 firsts is a real expectation from the Packers. That has to be a team leak to try and get a starting point. The first deal of a 2 + a conditional pick in '24 if he doesn't retire is absolutely worth entertaining. You draft a guy to develop behind ARod for 2 years and learn.

Not only does a young QB get to learn behind one of the best QBs-- Moore, Wilson, and Hall all learn from one of the best to ever do it.

@BroadwayZach why don't you think that trade is real? He's 39 with $50m+ in GTDs, no way they can be expecting more than that. Maybe it's a 1 with a conditional 2, rather than the other way? The Packers basically signed Rodgers for a 1 year, $100 million extension. It's all about the money for them. Get the majority off the books.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a rumor that it will be "at least" two firsts? And at this point everything is a rumor so if you believe one, you should believe the other.

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah there was, but one is an absurd rumor and one is reasonable. 2 1's for a 39 year QB with $50m+ is an absurd price. The 2 with a future '24 conditional is at least believable. Watson who is 26 went for 3 1's, Wilson went for 2 1's. How would a 39 year old go for the same? Smells like a team leak.

5. BroadwayAaron

Because the the 39 year old is just as good if not better than the guy coming off suspension for sexual harassment and on par with the guy who was clearly starting to decline. No reason to believe the Packers can't get two firsts for him from a team that is just a QB away, which we might be. The problem is Rodgers might not be the QB that puts you over the top at this age.

6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If they get Rodgers you can book next year's super bowl![​IMG]

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    One factor I think no one is talking about is that Aaron Rodgers was DESTROYED by the Jets defense this year. He knows how good it can be. He sees the young stars like Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall on offense too. I assume he has respect for Robert Saleh too since he is best friends with Matt LaFleur. They also practiced against the Jets in 2021, so he was able to see how much progress the team made in just one year. I think Rodgers to the Jets makes a lot of sense for both sides.

8. bicketybam

*At the right price.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the second deal were also based on conditions that Rodgers plays the majority of games, and plays at least two seasons, I might consider that deal also.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  10. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Aside from the overall compensation and all, I'm really wondering if Rodgers can still play at a high enough level for it to be worth it. He's gonna turn 40 this year and you could see some drop off last season. I don't believe it was just young receivers and not building trust stuff completely. Plus he would need to do that with our young receivers and are we certain he would show up to OTA's? Rodger's has shown to be about Aaron after all. Brady has some people fooled that guys can now play till 40 plus which just isn't true when you've looked at the great QB's over the history of the game. Jets are desperate and it would be an upgrade over what we have, but guys that age have a huge drop-off rate.

I don't have the answer to the QB dilemma, but that is a concern that I have about getting a guy like that.

Since1969 likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

I really talked myself into the Rodgers thing, then he opened his mouth on McAfee's show a few mins ago and I immediately remembered why I hate him.

Snatch Catch and sozopol like this.
  12. JETFUEL1580

What did he say? paraphrasing obviuosuly

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

What did he say?

14. BroadwayAaron

Rodgers love to whine about being the victim of the "woke" culture while also whining that everyone today wants to be a victim. This guy truly blows as a human.

15. JETFUEL1580

Sounds like Aaron

16. ColoradoContrails

Maybe they could add a "muzzle clause" to his contract that voids it if he talks publicly about anything other than football.:)

JETFUEL1580 and NY Jets68 like this.
  17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Its really a no-brainer at this point to try and get him. I don't think I'd offer two first rounders due to his age, but a second in 2023 and a conditional first in 2024 is an easy yes for me. Last year was a down year, but his 2020 and 2021 seasons would have both shattered like all Jets QB records lol. His opinions on vaccinations and the "woke" thing mean nothing to me. Just win games.

There is obviously risk in acquiring him, so if the Jets decide Carr is a better value decision, I won't complain. They just need to bring someone in.

Under no circumstances can they go into the offseason with Zach as the starting QB. I am hesitant to even have him as the backup.

Jets OG fan and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  18. bicketybam

When did this air and do you have a link?

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

McAfee has his balls in his mouth too much. I stopped listening because it was so gay

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  20. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Any chance if we traded for Rodgers we can tack on an extra year at some small number just to spread out the cap hit? That’s my biggest concern with this scenario, is having to tie up that much money on one very old player. Almost makes me want to roll the dice on Carr.