The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

To be fair.

MLF didn't have anywhere near the same level of line production and talent that Ulbrich had either.

Literally, GW was the offense at the backend of the season.

Who could you point to on that offense aside from GW to contribute In a way that allowed this offense to shine?

It just shows that we are not as talented on offense, especially with our depth. IMO

It didn't get worse. The record and stats showed improvement from year one to year two.

Saleh did have plenty of insight on the offense as well, he was proclaiming he was very familiar with the offense. To the point where he called It the best offensive scheme In the world. So, I don't buy that either.

After our key players went down, our offense was exposed for what they are from a talent perspective. Not very good outside of a few stars In the making, all of which were hurt, except, GW.

MLF should've got another year, with proper talent and depth to work with.

Hands down. My opinion won't change on that and I'm very confident In my thought process on It.

#601 IIMeanDeanII, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I wasn't calling for MILF's head mostly because the new guy could be worse and MILF could improve with better OLine and QB. At the same time, in 2021 he was 26th in yards and 28th in points, and in 2022 - 25th in yards and 29th in points. We have to call it for what it is: the offense sucked ass both years. There was no progress.

Saleh is a defensive coach. Yes, he has some understanding of the offense, but you can't seriously tell me he has enough in depth knowledge to actually guide MILF on the intricacies of offensive scheme or play calling like he can guide Ulbrich on defense. Yeah, he thinks it's the best scheme because he defended it and it was not easy, but this is not the same as understanding the nuance of offensive designs and play calling like he does defense. He can provide some high level input and give some ideas, I am sure, but he simply doesn't have the necessary background to guide an OC like he does a DC.

As far as talent, I agree to a certain extent, but the receiver room was good. I actually think we should keep this room, and maybe just replace Berrios, who is a minor piece. TE room was finally not bad, also a keeper. RB room was not bad. Hall's injury sucks, but Bam, Robinson, Carter, and Johnson are not bad players. QB and OLine sucked. But did they suck to the point where we cannot score at all down the line against shitty defenses? No TDs in last 3 games combined? GW saying as teams watched our film they knew what we were doing? Hard to tell, but it' hard to count on MILF next year and the main offensive guy given what transpired last two years and offensive collapse this year. I think he needs a bit more seasoning as an OC under a good offensive HC, like McVey, and he may be able to bounce back. As of now though it's fair to say he has not proven he can be the main voice on a good offense.

SOJAZ, NY Jets68, KY Jets Fan and 3 others like this.
  3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Good takes. Although the stats for 2022 are bad, keep in mind we did win 7 games, more than we had in a while and we did at times look really good on offense (we also looked piss poor). I wasn't calling for MLFs head but i wasn't crying over his departure either.

KY Jets Fan and Borat like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We won 7 in '19...

5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, i try to forget gase ever happened

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We all do.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

So Hackett?

Yay or nay?

8. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Ugh. Nay. Only reason I can even imagine they’d have interest is because Rodgers loves the guy for whatever reason

barfolomew likes this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

All that's fine but I know what my eyes were telling me, I know what I seen, I know what MLF had to work with and I understand the significance of all those things. Especially when you don't have good contributions from the two most important aspects of an offense. OL & QB.

MLF Is about to be the OC for Sean McVay, just like his brother before him. I'm guessing that an offensive mind like that isn't going to hire him for the fuck of It. MLF IS a good coach. At least from a scheme perspective.

Like I've said though. I'm confident in my opinion on the matter, he's gone now anyways, It's a non issue now.

Offense Is naturally going to be predictable when we only had one offensive weapon worth a damn at the end of the year.

Which makes GW even more impressive, teams knew he was the only true threat, they key'd on to him and he still stayed productive.

Davis Is trash. His routes aren't very good, he's lost a step from what it seems to me, and he drops a lot of balls. I'd rather upgrade there.

Elijah Moore has been unimpressive to me, he slacks off a lot on his routes, his body language Isn't great, he Is lazy at the point of contention, and he does some of the dumbest things as well.

IE: Not toe tapping an easy toe tap along the sideline. Running backwards as If he can still create separation like he did In college. Some things don't work In the NFL like they did In college. He doesn't seem to grasp that and does the same stupid things.

He has potential but I'm not sure he's as good as we thought. We shall see.

I think the only positions we are probably set at on offense are RB and TE. Everything else can certainly be upgraded I think.

We need more star power on offense though.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sean McVay calls the plays. MLF is going to be better in any situation in which he schemes but does not have to call the plays.

Since1969 likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think you nailed it with him being a good coach from a scheme perspective. But he’s a shit playcaller. 0 feel for the flow of the game and not utilizing players strengths. There’s a big difference between being a good coach and a good OC. He won’t be asked to call plays which will mask his biggest weakness.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Peyton Manning loved Adam Gase :eek:

Jets79, Since1969 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

A little excerpt from Rosenblatt's article this morning.

"The search is far from over. As I reported a few weeks ago, the Jets are interested in Frank Reich but would likely have to wait until head coaching searches wrap up (and he’s not hired) before he’d even consider an interview. Saleh said he was open to revamping the Jets’ scheme, and based on who he’s talked to so far, that seems to be the direction in which they’re heading.

I wouldn’t describe any candidate as the front-runner, though Saleh’s relationship with a couple of them — Hackett (worked together in Jacksonville) and Kubiak (close with his father) — are hard to ignore. I also know that many in the Jets building are fond of Patullo, who was the quarterbacks coach there in 2015-16.

O’Shea, from the Patriots tree, is also an interesting candidate. He didn’t mesh as OC with the Dolphins under Brian Flores and was fired but was considered for the Giants’ offensive coordinator job last year and is getting interviewed by a few teams this time, too. He’s gotten a lot out of an undermanned wide receiver group in Cleveland and it’s believed he’d likely want to run a pass-happy scheme."

barfolomew likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Frank Reich wore the colors before

[​IMG]

15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think Reich is who Saleh was hoping he could land and that still might happen.

He's just going to have to wait and see how his market for a HC gig shakes out.

barfolomew likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Saleh should be careful what he wishes for. Reich could see himself in that HC seat if they get off to a slow start

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Exactly why Saleh will not hire Reich. Not many people are so stupid as to hire their replacement knowing they may be fired the minute things go sideways..

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I really think people are setting themselves up for massive disappointment by thinking we have a shot at Reich.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not a chance in hell that happens..

20. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

The OC will depend on the QB we can get. I want them to mesh and both be familiar with and proven in the offense we will run this year. I don't want to either the OC or QB to have to learn shit. I do NOT want Lamar Jackson even if we could get his old OC from Baltimore, because we would have to retool everything and he has proven to get injured.

Since1969 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.