2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Exactly!!!

People loved Fitzmagic, even though he was nothing special in 2015. He was just OK. But OK was such a big upgrade from the worst QB play, that fans idolize him still. Carr has nearly identical rating now in his down year as Fitzmagic had in 2015. And if he delivers his average year? Fans will love him.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Depends if it is guaranteed or not. Rodgers is a good example. Has a 50+ mil guaranteed bonus due this year on a certain date, and whichever team has him at that time either GB or if he is traded will have to pony up whether they like it or not. Even if they cut him.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Top 10 in QBR with a Jet record 31 TDs. "just ok" middle of the pack in QBR is just ok.

This was a legit GOOD season.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

which is why we shouldn't do GB a favor by trading for him

I'd take Carr and be content. I'd be psyched for Lamar Jackson though. Rodgers ain't it, his head aint in the game anymore and it certainly wouldn't be with the Jets.

#444 BrowningNagle, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    Ralebird and barfolomew like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Carr would be well liked here. He has always been liked by his teammates and by fans because he plays really hard and with emotion

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said about the right coaching, and that if they get someone who can work with Zach, that will help Carr too, but I think the problem is beyond the coaching, it's the fanbase and media that are too unforgiving. They want results NOW, no excuses, no waiting until things click or the right formula is found, they just want to win NOW and anything that stands in the way of that is a problem that needs to be gotten rid of. Being a fan for 60+ years I can't blame anyone for feeling this way but at some point you have to realize that some things do take time - i.e. "You can't have a baby in 4 1/2 months if you put two women on the job", and the perpetual cycle of rebuilds every 2-3 years has to stop some time. Maybe now isn't that time, IDK, but personally I'm running out of time and I hope they can salvage Zach and Saleh and Douglas and not let these last 3 years go to waste.

Getting back to Carr...no doubt he's got the talent and experience and would be huge upgrade at QB for us, but I still have doubts whether he can stand the scrutiny and criticism. There "rumblings" now that TB isn't going to retire, but that he won't be going back to TB. Most likely he'll go to LV and reunite with McDaniels in another warm climate, but you never know - throw enough money at him and remind him of the "glory" he could accrue resurrecting a sad sack team like the Jets, and doing it in the media capital of the world, maybe he'd like that.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

No. Not officially.

March 18th actually.

8. IIMeanDeanII

It's not about us though.

It's about what the Raiders will need to do In the best Interest of their team. Then you have, Carr. He has a no trade clause, so he could easily deny any team anyways that tried to trade for him.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

ok..........

10. IIMeanDeanII

Am I wrong?

You do understand you can't do official league business until the new league year officially starts? Which means, nothing Is binding until then. Verbal agreements don't mean shit.

Ooooookay though.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Only #24 in passer rating:
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2015/passing.htm
    Completion % below 60. Not saying he was trash, he did throw for 31 TDs, but TD/INT ratio is only 2:1. 15th in yards. I am OK to use word good, if you don't like OK, but let's not act that he was some sort of top QB that year. He was about average, middle of the pack QB that year. Which is amazing for a Jets QB, and people loved him. Carr can be that as well.

12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Jets fans are some of the nicest, most patient fans in the league. We fell in love with Mike White for crying out loud because he had a couple good games. Now go on Bills and Cowboys boards; they're talking about firing McDermott, trading Dak, etc. That's unforgiving fan behavior, not Jets fans arguing about giving up on guys other fanbases would have given up on a long time ago.

SOJAZ and barfolomew like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

As good as he was, I don't remember him doing anything spectacular, and he wasn't very good in that last game in Buffalo when they had to win. That said, I was hoping they'd extend him - which they eventually did, but not before they nickel and dimed him. IDK if that had anything to do with his sudden return to his previous form, but I suspected it did.

In any case, I'm hoping they get either a young, proven vet like Carr (although not necessarily him given my doubts about his suitability for life in NY), or Brady or Rodgers to give them a couple of years with a really good QB, not just a mediocre one. But I also realize that those options are probably not on the table.

I think the first order of business in this case is to hire an OC who knows what he's doing and can accurately assess QBs and let him have a voice in this decision. I realize that all Douglas and Saleh have to do is peruse this forum to get all the "expert" advice they need, but just to be on the safe side they might want to see what actual successful professionals think.;)

14. ColoradoContrails

As a general rule I would tend to agree with you, but in the current circumstances, I think Jets fans - having tasted some almost success this year, are out of patience. And if they bring in Carr, most fans will be expecting playoffs for sure, and be disappointed if we don't at least get to the AFCG.

15. HomeoftheJets

I don't think Jets fans will be expecting AFCG considering the Chiefs, Bengals, and Bills are in our conference. Playoffs yes, but the fans of any team Carr goes to will be expecting that, unless he purposefully picks a really bad team, which would be insane for him to do.

16. ColoradoContrails

We had some guys predicting a possible SB run this year!

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

Well yeah lol, but every fanbase has those guys.

18. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Sure there are exceptions but drafting a QB is the most proven way to winning a Super Bowl. Get a Veteran sure but keep drafting a QB until hopefully eventually you actually hit on one.

19. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I think the same applies. If he’s on a roster on 2/15 the bonus becomes guaranteed. I think that’s why people were speculating he’d be released either way because the Raiders didn’t want to take a chance of a team backing out of the deal and they get stuck with the contract. I guess it depends on how many teams are involved.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I would take TB in a heat beat, along with Rodgers too, I just don't know if this is realistic. Minshew/White probably has a better chance to be a starting QB for us in 2023. I remember Brady saying something about warmer climate before and he was linked to the Raiders. Anyway, if he wants to come to the Jets and stick it to Belichick by guiding the Jets to SB, sign me up. Realistically though, I think he reunites with McDaniels if he does not retire or goes somewhere else warm. As far as Carr, the only report from @IIMeanDeanII was about coaching, and this frankly is nearly identical to what Steve Young was saying about MILF and Zach.

I know you want them to salvage Zach, but this is a long shot. If it happens - great, but odds are it does not. Then what? Don't you want a good QB here? Carr, for all his faults, has an average year much better than Fitzmagic year. He is the only FA that can say that aside from Jimmy G, who is made of glass. If we can get a coach here who can make Carr look just his average, we can have an exciting season. And Olson is still available, under whom Carr had his best seasons.

SOJAZ likes this.