Zach Wilson - MERGED (All Zach Threads will be merged here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I've seen this argument for zach a bunch of different times. In every NFL offense, you have to be able to consistently make the easy plays (screen passes, outlet passes, hit wide open guys 10 yards down the field). Wilson struggled to do that consistently. There is no system that will work for him if he can't make those consistently.

What exactly are zach wilson's strengths that you and other people are talking about that the offense should be built around?

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's very marketable and uh, off-platform throws.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The "Schoolyard Chaos Offense".... It's where football is headed ;)

4. stinkyB

are these actually for sale?
    I have a friend named Mike White. I want to get him one..... I don't think the dude knows jack about football, so I think it would be funny

5. Br4d

Run to the NFL logo and then break deep towards the JetBlue sign, don't forget to wave when you're open...

stinkyB and Since1969 like this.
  6. Br4d

It'd be really hilarious if you could get somebody to cover up Mike White's image with one of your friend.

7. stinkyB

Especially because he's got long hair, a mustache, plays guitar in a band, and works in a taco truck during the day (that's how I met the guy) , and makes surfboards on the side :D

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Boys here is the play

QB runs backwards 10 yards, holds onto it for roughly 5, 6 seconds so everyone else can get wayyyy downfield. Then he will launch it up and we will hope for the best

Ralebird, SOJAZ and stinkyB like this.
  9. stinkyB

That's been his best play!

BrowningNagle likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

ok…I’ll have to go pull Bradshaw (who I know started badly on a horrible Steelers team) and Elway and Aikman’s stats and see if they are truly as bad as Zach’s I guess.

And ok sure, despite the game being TOTALLY different now than in the 1970s - 1990s when those guys played (that is, the rules favor the offense, and specifically the passing game, so much more now than then, so while a 50% completion rate was about average in the 1970s it’s piss poor now), my point is you can’t hold up stats today and compare them to a QB who played over 25 years ago….

But my point is still valid…there are WAY more guys who started this badly and failed than guys who started this badly and became hall of famers like Bradshaw, Elway, and Aikman (and I haven’t yet looked up their first two years stats so I’m not even conceding that those three guys did start as badly as Zach)

i just don’t get this clinging to minutia about Zach when all the evidence…from stats to eye test to intangibles just points to him being a bust. There is very little to hang your hat on in taking a position that he may be good with better coaching…so we’ve moved on from “well his OL sucks and his receivers drop too many balls” to “well if only Knapp were here to mold him and if only we had a better OC than MLF”…I just don’t get it.

Occam’s razor says the simplest explanation is usually the right one. To me, the simplest explanation is the kid sucks at playing QB in the NFL…he can’t read defenses, his mechanics breakdown too quickly, and as a result he struggles to complete basic passes. He has natural talent for sure in a strong arm and good athleticism, but unfortunately playing QB in the NFL requires way more than that.

so we’ll just have to agree to disagree…like I said, I usually agree with many of your takes, CC…so no disrespect meant. I love the dialog.

but on this one, I just don’t get it…sure maybe a better OC who would tailor his system to Zach could get better results…we’ve seen good coaches make a difference for sure, but I don’t know what a better system would do when the QB fails way too often to make the simple easy throws or to not even see guys running wide open. Those receivers were frustrated for a reason…

cheers!

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed. Those are my thoughts and worries too about Saleh. He gets 1 more year to figure it out, but it just feels to me like he won't, and the Jets will be back to square one in 2024.

12. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

The issue I have with the supporters of ZW is that some have claimed that no adjustments were made to accomidate ZW ... when there were reports - I believe in this post that disputed this notion. Indeed, supposedly, after the 1st season, MLF and crabtree looked at ZW strengths and made adjustments,,, Assuming the post (article I think) was correct, then maybe it became clear that it didn't matter what they did because the kid just wasn't good enough. This, the benchings...

I do not intend to rehash the litney of supportive comments but I post on three other Jet sites (sorry admins, etc.) and the overwhelming marjority of posters - so of which have sources in the JET complex - see what we see... a bust that has potential. The problem is...Potential doesn't translate into winning games and that is what I care about.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah I did, did you?

"...Aikman still did not play great in his second season but he went on to have a great career. In addition to winning three Super Bowls, "

"...Elway struggled for a couple years, even though never as bad as he did his rookie season, "

14. BrowningNagle

Thats just stupid. Do you realize at one point in his second season John Elway had won 10 games in a row? How is that struggling?

Ralebird and Jets69 like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

Here's what I responded to:

By stating what I highlighted the inference is clear: you're asserting that people who said the loss of Knapp was a big factor were actually saying that this loss prevented the "miracle" from happening, that there were no other factors, not any other things that would've helped Zach succeed. No one made such a claim, or even said that the loss of Knapp was the main reason Zach struggled. My straw man claim against you still stands.

16. burf

burf Well-Known Member

On coaching & confidence... for those that ignore how both contribute to the development of a young QB, from someone who knows... watch short video...

Yeah, I know, Zach sucks, biggest bust in the history of the universe, etc...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

He's primarily a pocket QB, but can also run and execute RPOs and make plays off schedule. MLF wanted him to stay in the pocket and not go off schedule. He also throws well outside the numbers, MLF ran more crossing patterns, which for a young QB trying to adjust to the faster speed of coverage is more of a challenge. At BYU he also used his TE a lot, but that didn't seem to be called much under MLF, I don't know why.

I also think - I don't know, just guessing - that Zach didn't have confidence in a lot of LaFleur's play calls but was told to stick with them anyway, even when he could see they weren't going to work. IDK how much, if any, freedom Zach had to audible, but I suspect very little.

Without having been a participant in film study and hearing/seeing what MLF was telling Zach I can't be more specific than that, but even by MLF's admission, he didn't think Zach was a good fit for his offense. And it's not like it's a proven offense - his version specifically - since others seemed to be having problems too.

If the Jets bring in a proven, successful OC and QBC and Zach still struggles then I'll acknowledge that he's the root of the problem. Until then I think the jury is still out.

18. ColoradoContrails

Spot on!

And it's very telling that MLF reportedly didn't think Zach was the right fit for his offense early on. Given that doubt, how could he possibly instill confidence in Zach that he himself didn't have?

Confidence in athletes is a "make or break" aspect of their game. When they have it, they can do almost anything; when they don't, they can hardly do anything right. As Willie Mays once said: "When I'm hitting, I can hit anyone; when I'm not I can't hit anything".

19. BrowningNagle

Wilson’s problem isn’t confidence. It’s BS man. Don’t buy that lie

This is a kid who tossed it up for grabs into the teeth of Bill Belichick’s defense over and over. If anything that is overconfidence, stupidity

SOJAZ, JETFUEL1580 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Brett Maher is an example of a confidence problem. He's been a good kicker before and got into his own head with missing extra points. Zach doesn't have a confidence problem, he has a not good enough to be an NFL starter problem.

JETFUEL1580, Br4d and BrowningNagle like this.