The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I get that so would you have just gotten rid of Saleh also? Let JD start fresh with a new hire and CS? I don’t think it’s bad idea to see what even some of the inexperienced guys have to say in an interview, they might have some good ideas. I just hope we get someone with more experience than MLF and that’s not hard to do since he really didn’t have any

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

..and the irony Is. Everyone still wants to blame MLF for the fall out and collapse. Yet, we were 7-4 despite having the worst QB In football behind center. Then injuries accumulated and It became too much. Then Saleh Is pressured to fire MLF, now we are left looking at another dead end most likely.

They never should've fired MLF. Writing was on the wall, people don't think long term though, It's always instant gratification. Unfortunate.

Consequences.

The likely-hood of this team being a win now team next season, slim. Very slim. JD will need to nail this offseason and Saleh has to pull a rabbit out of the hat at this point for the OC search to bring good results.

I don't see It.

NYJetsO12, barfolomew, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

JD doesn't make It out of this. It's all or nothing. If Saleh fails, JD fails. They will both be gone.

Honestly, If they were going to dismantle the CS, they really should've just started fresh. This Is likely going to be another wasted season.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Klint Kubiak, Broncos "passing game coordinator" in 2022 hahaha

broncos offense 32nd in scoring, dead last, in the NFL in 2022

HomeoftheJets and Jets79 like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agreed with everything in your post. Unfortunately the word is likelihood and when I got to your version of the word it ruined your post for me

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Cman, they did not hire the right HC, they hired Urban Meyer thinking he could relate to a young man that just came out of college. Trevor lost a year of football development because of the Urban hire.

The Jaguars did the right thing by moving on from a terrible situation quickly.

The problem in Jet land is that they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t, if you fire CS too early, everyone will say Woody is an idiot because he needed to be patient, if he is patient and things don’t turn around, he’s called an idiot for not firing staff sooner.

The Jaguars market is very forgiving, the NY market is not.

blackssmagic, Cman68 and barfolomew like this.
  7. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I'd normally want pete carmichael as our oc to replace lafleaur. He's an experienced coach with a history of winning. That said there seem to be a lot of pretty talented options available. Any clear frontrunners?

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The biggest injuries happened after Denver game. Jets went 2-2 after that to get to 7-4. I don't think collapse was just the injuries. There was more tape on the offense, and as GW pointed out, as teams got more tape on us, they knew what we were doing. Even in the Minny game, Mike White had to hit a lot of amazing tight window throws to gain these yards, even though that defense was crap. Teams figured out MILF, that I think had more to do with it. Rivka Brood (Xfactor, I posted this earlier) had great analysis on that prior to GW's comment, and his comment kind of make sense given the timing of the collapse, which was not immediately after the AVT/Hall injuries, but 4 games later when we were entering Dec and there was more tape on the offense.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

If Caplan is to be believed here, sounds like Hackett may be one of the favorites for the OC job.

He does also mention "2 other guys, plus some potential coaches that are still in the playoffs".

Fast forward this clip to about the 1:25 mark if you want to hear clip about the Jets OC gig.

That last part makes me believe the Eagles guys (Kevin Patullo and Brian Johnson) have a decent shot too.

IIMeanDeanII and barfolomew like this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

I still don't buy It. I just don't. I seen too many opportunities for that to be true.

It's over though. Now we hope we find someone competent.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

Interesting. Thanks for the linked video.

I don't know what I think right now. It feels like a really muddy mess right now. Hackett Is very uninspiring to me. Johnson Is intriguing but a huge question mark.

They all are though. Which Is the messy part. Meh. I'm just waiting to see what happens I suppose. As we all are.

I'm not feeling overly confident that they get this right though.

Jets79 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I'd agree except for one point... If Saleh didn't want to fire MLF.
    In reality, we the fans don't know if he wanted to fire MLF, or not.
    We can assume he didn't want to fire his friend's brother, however, he may've decided it was in the best interests of his own success, and/or the team's success, to fire his OC.
    And as a result, it was his decision, & not forced on him by his superiors.
    We just don't know, but I'm happy he did.

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The only thing that's giving me confidence about the situation is that it's still going on. That makes me think they were serious about the "casting a wide net" comment which is a good thing.

I know I was dead set on getting a guy with OC experience, playcalling experience, etc. but at this point I just want us to find the right person. If that is a vet OC, we've interviewed a few of those. If that's an up-and-comer, we've interviewed a few of those.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

If Hackett called plays in Denver how is it possible that we can expect a different outcome? In Denver, he had a dominant defense that gave their offense so many opportunities. Yet, his offense was equally as bad or worse than ours.

Jets79 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a strong veteran OC who's done the job and can really take over the offense, but those names aren't particularly inspiring. It's also still tempting to look at younger, up-and-coming OCs in case they can find the right guy who maybe has more potential or upside than say Nathaniel Hackett or Greg Olson.
    The Philly QB coach and Passing Game Coordinator are intriguing. If they feel really confident one of the less-experienced guys are up for the job, I might roll the dice on one.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It was a dead end anyway. We were 7-4 because of two miracles early on and a couple of backup QB's starting against us. We're probably 3-4 after 7 instead of 5-2 in normal circumstances. Then the fates took away what they had given with the Breece Hall and AVT injuries. The reality is that this coaching staff was never going to get us over the top without a real QB to lean on and they didn't have that.

MLF was getting fired no matter what. He was in a cage match with Zach Wilson and only one of them was getting out alive at best although both dead was more likely. The final straw in MLF getting fired was Saleh doubling down over and over again on Zach Wilson. The thing that was going to get LaFleur fired in the end was the thing that Saleh could not stop running out on the field. Really the Jets should have fired Saleh and LaFleur and started over again. They just somehow couldn't pull the trigger even after the collapse.

Ongoing, not from the firing of MLF but because of the retention of Saleh and the likely retention of Zach Wilson. This entire two year debacle has been a result of throwing Zach Wilson out on the field unprepared and unable to advance as a result. Nothing the Jets do now is going to make any difference when it comes to Zach. He's 100% responsible for getting his career on track and from what we've seen he's not only not aware of this but fairly unlikely to be able to fix it even if he figures out he's the problem.

It's not just the OC. Saleh still has to figure out game management which he is apparently clueless about. JD still has to fix the OL, which despite all his statements about it's importance remains a rambling wreck 4 years after JD took over. The Jets probably need a RB and certainly need a QB.

It's a scary thought but this team is not a lot more coherent than the Jets of 2019.

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

We've seen it first hand with Bowles. Some guys can be excellent coordinators but struggle when trying to manage the whole thing. It's pretty obvious Hackett was in way over his head in Denver as the HC.

Hard to get too much from his time in GB because LaFleur is the play caller there but he had some success in Jacksonville as an OC/playcaller prior to that, including getting 3600+ yards and 20+ TD's from Blake Bortles.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. IIMeanDeanII

I agree with most of your post actually.

I will say a few things though.

Firing MLF Is a big issue that will provide consequences most likely because they didn't just clean house. It's the first step In a long line of BS we will likely be forced to endure this upcoming season.

It's not impossible that they overcome this situation. Bad look, bad pick at QB, firing OC, etc...

It's improbable though.

How many times does a HC fire their OC and then turn things around for the better as a result? It doesn't happen often.

Which, for me, merges Into what you said with cleaning house. I think If Woody was going to meddle In this process, he should've just started over.

Instead. We will likely endure another failed season, just to start over anyway.

I do believe we were worse than our record at the 7-4 mark we well but I also believe that credit needs to be given where credit Is due. It's unfair to blame them for everything but not give them the credit for the good that was there as well.

Saleh Is included In that.

Ultimately though.

I have lost faith In all of them. JD, Saleh, and especially Woody. I never really had faith In his stupid ass though.

It's unfortunate because I have been really high on JD and Saleh.

A big part of me hopes they still figure this mess out but the odds are against them.

Desperation will be a temptation now, one year mandates (unofficially), starting over with another offensive scheme, no great QB option for our offense, no quality starter at QB on the roster, and a fanbase that refuse to give them any patience to see what they have. Which Included OC.

Again.

This same fan base were banging the table at this time last off-season to fire Ulbrich. They turned It around. MLF should've been given the same opportunity.

So, now, we wait and see.

#598 IIMeanDeanII, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    CotcheryFan, Cman68 and Br4d like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If MLF and ZW were both in the picture next year then that side of the ball would've looked just like the last two seasons.

The really painful thing here is that we're still going to suffer next year because of a terrible QB draft in 2021. This is the Joey Harrington Factor.

Matt Millen and Joey Harrington = Joe Douglas and Zach Wilson.

HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

To be fair, MILF's offense was crap for two years now, not one, like Ulbrich, and Saleh can't really guide MILF, like he could Ulbrich. He really needs someone he can trust with offense. MILF didn't get it done for two years, and it went from bad to worse. Saleh can't help him fix it. He needs someone he can count on to produce at least a mid offense. MILF was 0 for 2 in that department.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.