The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

MLF was more concerned with how Zach Wilson was making him and his scheme look bad as opposed to him doing his best to make Zach look good. Maybe that was impossible but all indications are that he was making it known that, "Hey, it not me. It's my shitty QB."

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m not comparing the organization, I’m myth busting. There is a fallacy that developing a QB has to be done one specific way or that teams shouldn’t draft a young developmental QB if there is already one on the team.

The Niners just proved those philosophies to be false.

All things being equal, good WR, good oline, good offensive coach, a good young QB could come in and have success.

As it stands, I believe the Jets have good WR, when healthy a good oline and hopefully soon a good OC.

A good QB, young or old, should be able to come in and have success with all those pieces in place.

I have no problems tearing it all down next year guys, I’m just not as downhearted about the Jets situation right now. This off season will be huge, if JD doesn’t get it right I’ll create the fire everyone thread next year.

KY Jets Fan and westiedog1 like this.
  3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Yes please :)

KY Jets Fan, Borat, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think what the 49ers proved with the Brock Purdy draft is that even if you have an NFL starter (Jimmy G.) and traded a mint for a young QB (3 1sts for Lance) that you still should take a QB at any point in the draft that you see value in so doing.

5. Red Menace

That’s what I have been trying to convey, however I know it’s only my opinion and I respect others opinions on draft strategies.

However when you look at how many other teams have done it, and how it’s worked for them it goes back to the Ron Wolf draft strategy. Take another QB later in draft if value and potential is there and attempt to develop him, you don’t know how it will work out, if it doesn’t, move on from him and do it again until you hit on the FQB.

rockyusmc2003, papapump and Br4d like this.
  6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Like when the skins took RG3 then turned around and took Cousins.

papapump, Br4d and Red Menace like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

"There is a fallacy that developing a QB has to be done one specific way or that teams shouldn’t draft a young developmental QB if there is already one on the team."

Do you know what? Can we trade for Kyle Shanahan and send Saleh back to his old team? lmao..Shanahan is the Genius HC who made Mr Irerelevant relevant..thats not even close to happening on the Jets ..smh 8xs

So the laundry list of thing you "hope for " an OL and a good OC right now dont exist in reality..if a big name QB is signed here we might get better OC offers

OTOH we might not get a good OC or Premier Vet..SOJs

8. Red Menace

Kyle did not turn a garbage QB into a good QB. The young man had the foundation that Kyle could work with. He doesn’t struggle to hit 5 yard passes like Wilson or overthrow wide open receivers because of bad footwork.

I have had a problem with Jets not hiring an offensive minded HC, and no Gase doesn’t count. It would eliminate the constant search for a good OC if they hired a quality offensive minded HC.

Jets79 likes this.
  9. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I was responding to your post, asking how Saleh could be to blame.
    The discourse is the problem... & Saleh should've been on it, just like he should've been on GW having temper tantrums on the field, which continued as the season progressed. Or the MW T-shirts crap. GW, even after the last game, said opponents kinda new what the O was doing. While I agree with what he said, he was directly calling out his OC in the media. I can go on, but that's ALL the HC losing control of his players.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  10. burf

burf Well-Known Member

As I said in another post, I don't think Saleh realizes how much all the internal bs, all the players' rumblings & shat, contributed to the end-of-season collapse. And that's what scares me, & why I'm leaning more & more that the whole CS should've been jettisoned. Of course, that seems moot at this point, so my hope is that the crap was mainly within the O, & that a new OC will clean it up, & get all the players on the same page.

11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Not all staffs can develop a QB. Do you really think Purdy would be Purdy if the Jets drafted him?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm suggesting the Jets need to get better at everything, but particularly at drafting and developing QB's.

That's not going to happen with rookie HC's from the defensive side of the ball and it's not going to happen with rookie QB's over-drafted and spit out on the field immediately.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I did bring this up before, when I saw candidates who had 0 chance of getting the job, like NE TE coach (name escapes me). Need to wait for the process to play out.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You may be right, but the reality is that because the Jets put the onus on him from the start, they've severely damaged - perhaps permanently - Zach's chances of becoming what they drafted him for. That big stain is on Douglas and Saleh's shoulders so if they want to have any chance of removing it they're now going to have to do what they failed to do before: help Zach succeed by changing OCs (done) and installing a system that fits with his strengths. Of course Zach has to put the work in too, but there's no evidence that he hasn't been doing that all along so he needs to continue doing that, hopefully with better direction and coaching to make sure his effort is directed in the right ways.

The alternative is for the Jets to get rid of Zach, but I doubt they're going to do that at this point.

15. ColoradoContrails

The only caveat I'd present is that if Woody gets wind of a really good HC candidate (Payton or someone like him), he might decide to pull back on the OC change only and go with a clean coaching slate.

16. ColoradoContrails

Yes, this IS a good strategy...IF you're committed to developing your young QBs. The Jets have failed to do that, either because they never really cared to, or they just plain sucked, or both.

To use SF since you mentioned them they HAVE had success in developing QBs. Huge difference.

Borat likes this.
  17. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I don’t give the Jets front office that much credit.
    They are not that smart.

NY Jets68 and Lon Chaney like this.
  18. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

One requirement for new OC: a guy who doesn't get off on throwing his players under the bus to cover up for sucking ass.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Won't be popular on this board, but I don't think Hackett is as bad a candidate as some. No, I don't think Hackett will get the job, and no, he's not my first choice. But, if he did, we could do worse. He had considerable success as OC with Jags and Packers, going deep into the playoffs with both. Yes, I know Denver stunk this year, but they lost a ton of WRs to injury, and Russell Wilson has regressed. I think Hackett may be an offensive Todd Bowles-- A decent coordinator, but bad as head coach. But I'd pass on Aaron Rodgers as he would cost a fortune and we need every draft pick and cap dollar we can keep. My opinion only.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If Reich doesn't get a HC job, he'd jump to the top of my list of OC's to go after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.