2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Nobody smart Is going to give up a lot of draft compensation for Arod. JD Is smarter than that. (I think)

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Lamar Jackson would be on the level of a Le'veon Bell signing. Great player, huge questions, Jets luck and out is my guess.

rockyusmc2003 and Acad23 like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It seems like Lamar is going to be a pipedream after the presser yesterday from Balt. It will be very interesting to see what happens when the money starts talking though.

Obviously Lamar is my #1 option regardless of what it takes to acquire him. Carr is right behind him though. I keep seeing that people are interested in trading for Carr, but if I'm DC, why would I ever accept the trade and waive my NTC? Just let the Raiders cut me on Feb 15 and sign with that team. Why would I make that team that I want to sign with give up an assets? I guess b/c his gtd money of $41m? He's probably still going to get a Cousins type contract in FA regardless.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. Br4d

The Jets are in an interesting position. QB Zugzwang so to speak.

Any move they make has huge potential downsides due to the unpredictability of the people in play. However standing still risks having the market get away from them and Zach Wilson as the option behind door #3 is really not appealing for anybody involved.

I think I would put together a list of the potential options with drop dead dates on all of them. Then I'd figure out who I really wanted and game the system from there.

If I really wanted Lamar Jackson I'd watch the LJ-Ravens negotiations with interest. If we got down near the deadline to tag LJ, maybe a couple of days out, I'd tell them we're not interested in giving up 2 1st round picks for him but if you can sign him and he's willing to go we'll give you the #13 pick in return. If the Ravens wanted to keep him or get two 1sts in return they'd say no and we're done. If however they kind of wanted to let him go they might bite on the deal just to get a guaranteed top half of the 1st round pick in the exchange. I wouldn't sign LJ if the compensation was more than this year's #1 pick. I also wouldn't trade for him if he didn't want to come here. No point in that kind of deal.

If I wanted Carr I just wait it out. If the Raiders came to us with a cheap trade or a trade offer I could negotiate down to cheap I'd probably make the trade to have the QB in hand. If Carr gets released I'm going to offer him a mid-range deal, maybe 4 yrs/$120M with $50M up front. If he's in for that we're good and if he's not we let the market take him. We're never going to win a bidding war for him unless we make the highest offer and irrational teams will bid it up pretty high.

Now we're down to the second tier of options.

If I wanted Jameis Winston I'd offer the Saints Zach Wilson for him. Winston is under contract for one more season and the Saints are definitely looking for a QB to develop. They can probably sign Andy Dalton to a high backup level contract and sit Zach for a year and see if he develops in their system. This would resolve two problems for the Jets: 1) we get a QB who has proven he can play in the NFL, 2) we find a home for Zach Wilson elsewhere in the NFL and out of conference just in case.

If I wanted one of the second tier FA QB's I would watch the market and see where it went. If I saw an opportunity to sign Andy Dalton or Gardner Minshew cheap I'd probably take it to get a QB in-house. No problem with throwing one of those guys into the competition in camp.

If I traded Zach Wilson in any of these scenarios I would take a 4th round QB to develop. If not for better or worse ZW is likely to be on the roster this year and I'd see little point in adding a young QB alongside him. If you think the freak was bad this year with White...

BrooklynJetsFan and Lon Chaney like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I would rather sit and see if Levis or Stroud starts to slip a bit or even slips all the way to 13 before I tried to trade up to 1 with the Bears.

Red Menace, Losmeister and stinkyB like this.
  6. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I can't imagine spending 15M per year on a guy who is at best an above average quarterback when this team has so many issues to address.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Are you up to speed on all the QBs eligible for draft?

I have not had a chance to look at any of them other than Stetson just because of how much he has been on national TV.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah it doesn’t sound good at all…and then I think man, even middle of the road average QB play would be such a huge upgrade from what we got from Zach and Flacco…crazy. White gave us some moments but is a pretty big injury risk, so hard to know which way to go with him

we are not in a good spot at all…there are no great options … Zach busting out and absolutely sucking balls REALLY hurt this team…

9. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Jalen Hurts is a free agent in 2024. Just sayin....

BrowningNagle and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

White had a couple great games, but overall, he was pretty bad, and he can't stay healthy. He was definitely the best of the third string QBs Jets fans have fallen in love with (Bollinger, Clemens, McElroy, Simms, Petty, Falk, Streveler...), but we should just let him go.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. Br4d

I think if White gets a real offer from anybody he is gone. By real offer I mean $10M+ a year with at least $10M guaranteed. No idea if he gets that or not.

The thing to realize about the Jet's QB possibilities this season is that it is not hard to find a decent QB if you have the system, staff and roster to support him. The Jets inability to do this over the last going on 15 years is the outlier here. It is *not* normal to have crappy QB play for as long as the Jets have.

So if the Jets had cleaned house and gotten a Harbaugh or Payton here the expectation would have been that person would manage all of the above and we'd have good QB play next season.

As it is we kept most of the structure in place and I don't see reasons to be optimistic that in that situation we will manage to find a good QB and keep him healthy all season. Odds are overwhelming we will be looking at the QB situation as another failure at the end of next season.

12. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Jets will miss out on every high profile qb while Mike White Bolts, Woody will make Saleh start Zack Wilson next year, book it.

BrooklynJetsFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

goddamn that's a pessimistic situation.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

That's one fuckin possibility ...so sad its funny

Do you or anyone else here believe the slime ball owners wouldn't serve up that shit and call it football??...excuse me Zach W JV Football

Are ya ready for this? Joe Namath wants A Rogers on the Jets...he is willing to UNRETIRE #12 Jersey since AR has same

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. george sakell

Very hard to be optimistic with this clown show they call a Nfl team

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

Terps..just know THIS>>>>We are in a "very pessimistic situation"...show me evidence we are not??

IMO this kangaroo circus just continues till someone buys out the Js like Cohen did with the cruddy Wilponds who owned the Mets!!

17. NYJetsO12

The Fans who pay for tix to the Dog and Pony Show are the real clowns...except it aint funny waiting 56 years:/ for SB

18. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I'm going through now and watching them, I've only watched extensively on Young, Stroud (of course), and Levy.

It's a scary class. No home run guy. Lot of potential. I'd say this QB class Is probably over rated overall but I haven't watched all the top guys yet.

All of them come with risk. IMO

Out of those three.

CotcheryFan, Borat and Red Menace like this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

You mean the guy who went 8-3 before tearing his bicept? No, I’d hate someone like that…. 3rd rd pick wasted… s/

bicketybam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. george sakell

we def don’t need Aaron rodgers or a proven qb, zack mahomes wilson and Robert Lambordi saleh are taking us to the promised land next season guaranteed. I’m ordering my Super Bowl tickets now