The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Woody should have definitely cleaned house ..but is too cheap to pay an old and new staff

What else is new?

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

don’t they have issues though? Wasn’t it last year when Lamar Jackson was critical of Roman? This might be an effort to keep Jackson around

I don’t hate your plan though if I’m wrong

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Why would Roman leave a successfully organization like the Ravens and come to the Jets in a lateral move? Doesn't make sense.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This would not be a lateral move. Roman is unemployed right now.

James Hasty, burf and Lon Chaney like this.
  5. DetroitRed

DetroitRed Well-Known Member

Exactly. He is probably looking at being a positional coach.

6. bicketybam

Well he isn't coming with Lamar. Harbaugh said Lamar is 200% their QB.

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Can the Ravens franchise him if they don't reach agreement on a new contract?

8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

yes....and for 2024 too

GREG and bicketybam like this.
  9. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

With Leftwich getting canned today, eight teams are looking for a new OC (Jets, Tampa Bay, Washington, Chargers, Titans, Ravens, Rams and Patriots). That's 25% of all NFL teams.

Two questions to ponder:

1. How desirable is the Jets OC job compared with the other seven?

2. Have we reached the point where the demand for first-rate OCs has outstripped the supply?

I also hope Saleh and Douglas are smart enough to use the OC interview process to gather intelligence as to what the candidates, especially the experienced ones, think about Zach Wilson and the other offensive personnel.

#409 Since1969, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  10. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I'm liking this. He's had experience coaching most facets of offense, has developed younguns, he's successfuly designed and rewritten an offense around a young QB (Lamar)... & he's an NJ native, to boot. I imagine JD has crossed paths with him, when they were both with the Ravens, early in their careers. And he'll be on-staff, if Saleh needs to be sent packing.
    Me thinks the Jets should already be in his ears.

James Hasty likes this.
  11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

couple years back people were masturbating in public over Roman

leftwitch leaves me cold

Brady is intriguing... but as already has been mentioned

we need a fucking QB forst

12. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

I want Leftwich first and foremost, failing that I want Roman. Rest of the field… meh.

13. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

It has to be Hackett, if he TAKES an offer. As OC, not only experience, excellent too. OC HC in his pocket already. This is a no brainer to me. Exactly what we need.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hope they've narrowed the list to:

• Hackett
    • Leftwich
    • Roman.
    I don't know enough about them to say which I'd prefer at this point but they all seem like they're well qualified as OCs and wouldn't need OJT.

That said, if getting Hackett allowed the getting of Rodgers, that might be my first choice.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its not for YOU to recommend anything at all regarding rooting for the jets. You rate yourself far too highly and I suggest you come down off your high f'n horse PDQ.

This franchise IS A JOKE. They have been the longest running JOKE in the NFL since 1960. A complete clown show for the majority of Woody Johnson's ownership. What we do lead the league in is EXCUSES of which fate always provides. Injuries happen to every team and the Jets never overcome them. But hey, let pity the Jets and give them a break. Our QB sucks? Boo f'n hoo. A lot of teams have lousy QB's but guess what? They manage not to completely collapse with a top 5 defense. But since its the Jets, lets give them yet another mulligan.

Saleh has one more year to figure this shit out or else he walks the plank. Woody fucked up by not cleaning house but decided to split the baby in two by firing the ineffective MLF (queue injury excuse) without any way to replace him with a vet OC short of offering up either the HC chair OR an asst HC position neither of which would suit Saleh. So, we go into '23 with another OC who most likely won't be one with any prior experience paired with a QB who most likely won't be Carr or Rodgers. Our defense is still soft up the middle because our LB's are slow as shit and can't get off the field on 3rd down.

7 wins does nothing for me. I've seen 7 win teams and usually, they're home when its time to play for the VLT. This team still is missing a Veteran Football Guy making strategic decisions. We trot out newbie after newbie and get the same result and promises of a brighter future. Well guess what? The Future is Now!!

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Why clean house? The defense improved vastly, JD has acquired more skilled players than Jets have ever seen since days of Tannenbaum and Mangini.

They have to improve the offensive side of the team, in particular the QB position. We used to scream about lack of playmakers, well we have playmakers now.

I can’t believe how hard it is to see that we are not far from becoming a solid all around football team.

I would rather be in this position than what we had with Macagnan, no talent, no CS, no direction.

Joe needs to get rid of White, Flacco, Streveler, sign a quality FA veteran like Carr, draft a QB and keep adding talent through draft. Wilson can be the backup as he will not be gone from roster until his option comes up.

Jets are not far off, I never used to put pitch fork away, but I want to see one more draft with this group.

17. bicketybam

Sorry you have offended you. My fan comment wasn't directed at you.

18. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I don't know much either, but Leftwich is intriguing. He's ran a good offense for a long time, with Brady mostly, and only fell off the deep end with one bad year

19. bicketybam

This from an ESPN article on the firing of Leftwich.

The Bucs' offense was hampered this season by injuries to the offensive line and to the receiving corps. Also contributing to the decline were the retirements of tight end Rob Gronkowski and left guard Ali Marpet, the loss of right guard Alex Cappa in free agency and the loss of wide receiver Antonio Brown. However, it was Leftwich's inability to adapt to the Bucs' available personnel and predictability that stifled the offense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ers-fire-offensive-coordinator-byron-leftwich

Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The bold sounds eerily familiar doesn't it?

And then there's this:

"Those numbers, however, fell off significantly in 2022, with the Bucs averaging 18.41 points per game -- 25th in the NFL. The Bucs also had the league's worst rushing attack, averaging 76.94 yards per game, forcing Brady to attempt a career-high 756 passing attempts at age 45."

Hmmm...arguably the GOAT QB, and yet he struggled when he didn't have a solid rushing attack and had to pass the ball a lot. If a 24 year veteran can struggle under these conditions, why is so difficult for people to accept that not quite 24 year old in his second season would?

As to Leftwich coming to the Jets, because he played QB in the NFL, and because he learned under one of the best offensive minds, Arians, I think he might be the best candidate for the Jets. That said, I really don't know enough about him or the other guys I listed to be certain. I can only hope that Douglas and Saleh get it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.