Zach Wilson - MERGED (All Zach Threads will be merged here)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Dec 22, 2022.

1. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

His opinion carries weight with me....

Acad23 likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Heartless.

JohnnyJet, cmcm750203 and Acad23 like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Looking for the details shows that Drew Brees was a 38 year old man in the middle of his seventeenth season in the NFL and Westhoff makes it sound like he almost tore the door off trying to get insight into how to play his position. The other guy was bored.

cval likes this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Ha, That is funny

5. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Colorado wishing you the best. I don't have ADD but my now adult son has ADD and it was diagnosed at an early age and even with all types of help it doesn't make success any easier. SO i agree not a "bar" but it does create challenges for sure and it's not just distractability. For example, many with ADD can be extremely literal and not pick up intended nuance. For example, when my son was applying to college and told me he wrote his college essay. I asked what did he write it on. Answer, "the computer". Many instances like this.

That said, there is a long list of extremely successful people with ADD. My hats off to them because of the extra challenges it creates

6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

my suspicion is that you don't really know anyone affected so i'll give you a mulligan. What you say about Adderall abuse is true. but what you say about ADD is way off from reality

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Gents, I feel for both of you. My youngest (now 31) has syncope - a temp loss of conciousness caused by fall of low blood pressure which is affected by the electric impulses between the brain and heart. For two years my son was in the ER almost daily... and I was there through it all.

Many cases end with suicide because the persons get no relief, no one believes they ae suffering and the symptoms are life threating. Indeed, my son would call me and say, Dad I woke up on the floor... harsh lights can affect him, stress, etc.

For those two years, he had ever conceivable test,and they found nothing ... we actually thought he had a mental issues but finally one ER doc said he may have syncope... so they arranged a test where the patients lie down on their back and invert the table head 1st. My son was out as soon as they started the inversion.

Thank God he is better but will have it all his life but as he gets older the symptoms will diminish... My thoughts and prays are with you guys... life is tough so the JETS OC and QB situation.IMHO, pales in comparision.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Wow... my doctor tested me for a similar condition... that was the first time I heard of it.

What they determined I had was orthostatic hypotension... although it didn't explain some of my more severe symptoms.

Hope your son continues to improve.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Until I hear a better one, it's my hope too. But not in a trade, gotta be after he's released, money the only asset changing hands...

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I bet if you want Carr, you will have to trade for him. The Raiders only have a 3 day window to trade him, but I bet they do. There are way too many QB-needy teams in the NFL. You can't take a risk of losing him to someone else, so I bet a team coughs up a draft pick, maybe even a 2nd Rounder, and then takes on his huge contract. The NFL is a crazy league. Maybe I am wrong, but that would not shock me at all.

Acad23 likes this.
  11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

He's got a no trade clause so he he'll have a say where he goes, even if the Raiders negotiate a deal with a team they feel is worth it, he can reject it and become a FA - which is what I am hoping for...

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks. I had/have what I would consider a milder form of it. I never took any meds for it, but found other ways to cope - actually since I never knew I had it until almost 40 I just dealt with the symptoms not knowing what caused them. But for me they amounted to being easily distracted or bored, hard to stay focused unless it was on something I was really interested in, and then I would become almost obsessed with it. Not long after I was diagnosed I went back to school and pursued a degree in childhood learning and discovered that children (and adults) with ADD/ADHD often don't well in the typical school setting, no surprise. But they do surprisingly well in a program based on experiential learning where they're given "holistic" task that involve the various subjects like reading, math, science, etc. which they have to learn in order to complete the task. And example might be the class would be assigned the task of building a community garden, so they would have to figure out how big it should be (math, geometry), what to plant and when (science), obviously it would require research so reading is involved as well as writing proposals to the local government to obtain a plot of vacant land, and so on. Since they're not forced to sit and learn by rote without any real world connection to what they're being taught in the classroom, they tend to absorb the learning much easier and more deeply. Many of the students that go through a program like this actually out perform traditionally taught students in achievement tests.

Anyway, IDK if it's true that Zach has ADD/ADHD, but if so, it would explain a lot IMO.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

That is interesting. Did not realize that. He could force their hand into a release too. Only if he knows his market will be good enough to make most of the money he would on his current contract though. Otherwise he would likely accept a trade to keep it as is.

14. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

i don’t think he has to force their hand there. If nobody wants to trade for him they aren’t going to guarantee his 100m left he will be cut

15. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Great topic.

Few facts:
    1) Confirmed: Zach Wilson DOES have ADHD.
    2) Others athletes confirmed with ADHD: Michael Jordan, Jason Kidd, and Terry Bradshaw. Unconfirmed: Kobe Bryant (ritalin in his system at time of death) and many others.
    3) My experience: my 12 year old has it. Pretty sure I'm an undiagnosed case.

So What?
    1) The ADHD mind processes faster than the average person's. It means they can process more and faster, but it also puts the individual out of sync in communication with others. (incoming and outgoing communications)
    This provides Zach a benefit in the pocket, but a severe disadvantage in the classroom and locker room.
    2) Hyperfocus is a "feature" of ADHD. It allows the individual to apply the extra processing horsepower as fuel to a passion.
    IMO, this is behind MJ and Kobe's maniacal will to win and work-ethic.

16. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Some facts, should you have questions about Zach's work ethic:
    1) He delivered food for DoorDash, while the starting BYU QB, for gas money
    2) The gas money was for weekend trips to LA to workout with John Beck
    3) His dad made him do it, so he had skin in the game

Does this strike you as a spoiled rich kid who would waste the NFL opportunity?

https://theathletic.com/2429880/202...e-doesnt-understand-why-hes-anything-special/

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This tracks with my personal, firsthand experience, and with kids I worked with, both as a coach and a mentor. Thanks for the confirmation.

So while there's "evidence" to "prove" that Zach is just dumb and lazy, if you look objectively, there's another actually more plausible explanation: his ADHD condition. And I say "more plausible" because Zach has shown himself to be a hard worker and high achiever prior to coming to the Jets. And there's no evidence or reports of him not working hard as a Jet. Now given the story behind the scenes with how MLF thought of Zach and how he managed his relationship with him, it makes more sense that MLF and the Jets just screwed up his development than Zach being incapable of developing. This is why any assertions that he just simply sucks and is a huge bust are way too premature.

rscherwin and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I don't think Zach is done. I think he's on the roster next year backing up a veteran. Don't get me wrong, he's got a long way to go, but trading the #2 overall pick for pennies on the dollar doesn't seem like a good investment.

Many Jets fans out there are arguing about whether Zach Wilson or Mike LaFleur was to blame for the offense collapsing. It was both of them.

Zach struggled to read defenses, missed open receivers and was inaccurate even on screen passes. He had some flashes, but not enough.

LaFleur failed to develop him or adjust game plans to Zach's weaknesses or the oline deficiencies. I don't think the system was bad, it was mostly the timing of the playcalls and failing to help Zach. Breece Hall & AVT were basically carrying the offense.

19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I am not doubting your comments but if he has the ability to "process faster" why the hell does he fail continually to not get past his 1st read or not recognize pre snap defenses, etc.... sorry I just have a difficult time with this.

20. The Dark Knight

It is a mystery why Zach struggled so much in 2022. Lack of work ethic would make sense, but as you just pointed out, he seems like a hard worker.

He loves football. He has a rocket arm. He has pretty good mobility. It doesn't make sense why he had such a bad season, and looked worse than he did as a rookie at some points.

Some fans just say he sucks or is a bad QB, but it can't be that simple. He has played well in the past. If it is truly lack of confidence, then I hope some coach can get it back for him. He has a bright future in the NFL.

Too much talent to just be done already.

rscherwin and ColoradoContrails like this.