Lamar Jackson is Fool's Gold, Daniel Jones Is the Real Prize

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Jan 15, 2023.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Zach Wilson is one of the worst QB prospects to be given an extended opportunity in recent decades. He is Blaine Gabbert levels of bad. He got an extra year on the field with us because we had a rookie HC and OC who just didn't understand what they were seeing on the field in front of them. There were no adults in the room to make the obvious connections and get him off the field. It took a slow-rolling locker-room revolt (trade requests from a couple of WR's and obvious frustration from other players) alongside a mental blowout by the QB to finally get him off the field.

Seriously, LaFleur was a great scapegoat but Saleh clearly should have gone with him. It was the defensive improvement that saved Saleh and that defensive improvement isn't going to do anything for the other side of the LOS.

SOJAZ, papapump and heartpumpsgreen like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Agreeing with you that Zach Wilson is a historically bad draft pick, but why should Saleh go with him and not the guy who made the draft pick?

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think the Giants would be beyond foolish to let him walk. He's improved every season he's been on the Giants, and even in his rookie year he was significantly better than Zach has been in either season. His touchdowns did dip compared to his rookie season, but he has a horrible group of receivers around him.

If he actually manages to hit Free Agency, you do whatever you can to get him. He would be a massive improvement, and he's only 26.

SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Carr is the guy the Jets should get as QB. He's better than Jones and doesn't get injured.

5. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

This^^^^

Jackson would an enormous cap hit, and this team can't afford to lose those picks. As much of a jump as they made this season, there are still a ton of holes. Plus, his legs have been banged up the last two seasons. I like Jackson as a player, but this just screams Neil O'Donnell to me. No thanks.

SOJAZ and bicketybam like this.
  6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Basically it would be a move that if everything went 100% roses you could make a great case for it. But if ANYTHING goes even slightly wrong the Jets will end up screwed, paralyzed, and hamstrung all at the same time.

To be honest I'd just rather not even get involved, tempting as the rosey scenario might be.

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

he could have been and was but so is ZW... The differenceis, Jones and TL can hit 7 yrd passes and read D, ZW, has shown he can not, esp. when he has his back to OL running backwards.

8. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Yep, agreed. Trade for Carr and see what he has left. I'm no contract guru, but it appears the only guarantee is 2023 and 7m for 2024. If that's the case, no brainer. Hire Greg Olson too, if the Jets had the 4800 yards he put up with Olson in 2021, we'd still be in the playoffs right now.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Better than trading away the future for a guy that is on the decline, prone to injury and quit on his team.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Trading for Jackson isn't just betting that Jackson will work out, it's also betting that the Ravens are wrong about him. And given the Ravens are a very well-run organization who know more about him than anyone else, I wouldn't want to get on the other side of that bet.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

[​IMG]JAX

GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG SACK RTG QBR
    17 359 602 59.6 3,641 6.0 12 17 58 32 71.9 39.1

This was good? If so, why did so many Jax fans panic as he put up these numbers? Why did Jax fire their HC before the season was over?

And then they hire a proven, experienced HC and staff and he "miraculously" goes from trash to treasure.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Imagine now giving the same OC (Bevell) that TL had that with to Zach. Though people say this Urban's doing, so if we do end up with Bevell I hope that was true, but I would be concerned.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I would be amazed if he wasn’t tagged by the Giants.

14. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa Bay makes a bid for Lamar. Jackson is from Florida and I doubt Brady will be back with the Bucs. Could be a good fit for him.

15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

that is your opinion, but i will say that you better get the OC and QB matched up right, including the system matched up right also.

and, let the GM hire that guy. we already know that neither one of the Johnsons are even remotely qualified to do that.

dmw likes this.