2023 Jets QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Jan 8, 2023.

1. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

My preference is Carr, mainly because I feel like he could maximize what he brings to the table with the skill positions the Jets currently have. Throw in a new OC that actually assesses his team's strengths to create mismatches with that weeks opponent and the Jets are a playoff team - having said that, if the OL doesn't make significant improvements from a talent/health stand point he's toast...

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Unless the Jets get an OC/QB Coach who has a proven track record of making young QBs successful, the Jets shouldn't bother trying to draft a QB. It's a waste of a pick. The last QB they drafted that could be said to have succeeded to any degree was Pennington, and he was hurt before he could really make much of a mark. And the reason for this failure IMO is that they keep hiring defensive minded HCs. If Andy Reid was our HC I would say sure draft a QB, but until we get someone even close to that in offensive ability, there's no point.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

1. Lamar
    2. Arod

3. Trade up for Young/Stroud

4. Carr

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What would you do at QB then if you did not want a rookie on the roster? Just keep 2 QB's? Veteran QB to start and Zach to back him up? Re-sign Mike White and have all 3?

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It depends on who the vet was and how much he was going to cost. Also, how much faith I had in Zach to become what they drafted him for.

Assuming they still have faith, I'd keep Zach and make sure I got a good OC/QB Coach to work with him, and I'd sign a QB who could win now. QB #3 would be whoever they could sign cheaply.

If they don't believe Zach can be the guy, or have significant doubts, you still sign a QB who can win now, but maybe keep MW if you can sign him reasonably. If you can't trade Zach for anything worthwhile, keep him as QB #3 and hope that the lightbulb goes on at some point.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We all want what you want at the QB position, unfortunately they don’t come around that often. That’s why I’m ok with Carr and drafting a QB, however I’m not sure what this years QB class looks like other than Stetson.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Settling Is your solution?

I'm simply stating. Non of these guys inspires confidence for me. I understand we are In a situation where we missed on a premium QB by drafting a bum at #2. That's a setback.

Now, I'm worried a lame duck HC and GM are going to set us back further by spending a bunch of money on a mediocre QB.

Is that not a realistic thing to voice as a fan or am I supposed to pretend like we have so many wonderful possibilities with the names mentioned so far?

8. IIMeanDeanII

I understand that the options are bad for us.

I also understand. As a fan.

We have the potential at cap hell and blowing our load on a QB that turns out to be dog shit for us, which in turn sets us back further.

Who thought Russell Wilson was going to leave Seattle and look like an average to slightly above average QB?

The fear Is the setback of having a potential lame duck HC and GM trying to save their jobs but then leaving this team In yet another mess for someone else to fail and clean up.

Rinse and repeat.

Jets1035 likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Stetson is still there in the third or fourth round, we should take him. If any QB is going to be next year's Brock Purdy, it's him.

stinkyB likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

Why will It make for an exciting season? Nobody knows that.

I'm sure Broncos fans expected the same. That turned out well.

Anyway.

As a fan. I'm allowed to be unsatisfied with the options that are available. JD missed horribly with picking Zach Wilson.

I clearly never wanted him anywhere near this team.

Now we are In a position of having a make or break year where JD blows his load In a desperate attempt to save his job, which potentially sets us back after the failure of next season.

So forth. So on ..

Damn. It's wild how certain so many of you are that we are somehow going in the right direction now.

Can't wait to be wrong I guess.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Can't say I knew Russ would regress a lot, but I didn't want us to give up multiple 1's and 2's to get him. While Lamar is younger and should have more prime years ahead, he's been hurt the last two years and he'll cost at least two 1's. And who knows how much our offense will have to be overhauled for him. Hollywood Brown asked to be traded after three years with him. Will Wilson do the same?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  12. IIMeanDeanII

This is exactly what I'm afraid of as a fan. I don't do this instant gratification shit as a fan, I want this team to be a winner on a consistent basis and If we throw away all of our assets for a QB, then we better be right on the money and he needs to be the guy that we win Superbowls with.

I don't think he Is that guy and I don't believe that guy Is out there for us this off-season.

It's just a bad fucking situation.

I think the best option would be Carr after he Is released from that contract.

Even then, he can be a setback for this team If we overspend for him. It's a bad situation. IMO

A lot of fans are excited but I'm worried AF about the end result.

I don't care about making the playoffs for the sake of making the playoffs. I want to have a team that can get to the playoffs and have an actual chance to win It. I'm not sure we will achieve that with the names on the market and I see the absolute risk with every option. In terms of setback potential.

I agree with your assessment and concerns.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Hope is not a path or a plan to anything; the majority of this board has been hoping Darnold and Wilson was the answer - they weren't and hope and faith weren't. If the Jets draft another quarterback all they can do is "hope" he works out better than any QB they've drafted since Namath. Jackson, Carr, Garoppolo, or some other guy who's had some success seems to be the only way to go for the near future.

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Actually you did. Your exact words were "we obviously play a lot of cold weather games." I gave the actual game log facts that showed the coldest game the Jets played this season was 36 degrees and there was only one other games in the thirties. That's not in any way "a lot of cold weather games." Unless you want to now claim that game temperatures in the fifties represent cold weather.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I just don't think getting Carr sets up back much. It's not blowing the load. There is no real draft capital needed to get him, so we still have our picks. The contract, while not small, I am pretty sure will only be two year guaranteed and for a lot less than top QBs. If we like a young QB, we can pick him too next year and develop for a year before he plays. If we can use draft picks to improve OLine, with Carr and experienced coordinator who got the best out of him in the past, like Greg Olson, play-offs are a real possibility this year. It's been 12 years and counting.

Yes, eventually we will need to get a FQB, because JD fucked up with #2 overall, and it is easier said than done. Probably we will need to trade up if we see some talent, like KC, Chicago, and Buffalo did or maybe take a shot at some good guy in the second round, like Philly did, or heck, maybe Zach will surprise us. There is no easy solution now for FQB. But in a shorter term I really believe we can have a good year 2023 and finally make play-offs with improvements to OLine, Carr at QB, and a more experienced OC without mortgaging the future. This is something to look forward to.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

Are you serious right now?

I don't care what temp, winter time, is winter time. Plenty of cold Sundays. Cold weather games. East Coast football. Nov to Jan.

COLD

You're trying to get all technical and literal.

Dude.

Cold weather games that happen within those months. Those are the games I'm concerned with.

That's It.

It's not even my number one concern but If Is a concern for me. None the less.

It's not for you.

Can we move on now?

17. IIMeanDeanII

As far as financial or compensation.

I think there Is zero chance he gets traded. I think he will for sure be cut. Risk Is too great for a trade. For both parties.

Contract.

I'm not sure we are going to be able to just throw any random contact out there. What leverage do we have? The uncertainty to be the QB of this team Is obviously there and I'm sure other teams will be bidding high to aquire his services. He's likely going to get a ridiculous contract where someone overpays and overextends his welcome, just to lure him here.

All that worries me. Especially when our GM and HC have one more year to prove themselves.

Also..

Playoffs are great.

.. but I don't want to always be a team that just sneaks In and Isn't a real threat for the whole thing. Mediocrity Is contagious. I hope we have a future plan still In place where we aren't just settling for mediocrity for a few years before we go back to another rebuild that lasts another 12 years.

I look forward to the day when this team finally figures It out and we have sustained success for 30 years.

Until then.

There's a lot to be down about going into next season as well.

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I would say the main difference between Russ and Lamar is age. Russ was already 33 when Seattle traded him, Lamar just turned 26.

A Lamar trade absolutely brings a set of risks, but he also brings us the highest ceiling of any option we have this offseason.

I’m torn on which path I think the Jets should take. I do think Carr and Lamar are the 2 best options. I probably slightly lean Carr right now only because we would get to keep our draft picks and continue to build up the rest of the team.

#318 KY Jets Fan, Jan 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    IIMeanDeanII and Borat like this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Lamar with the whiners we have at receiver? Sounds like a big risk.

bicketybam likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

However unlikely it may be, it is a path that could theoretically happen for us to get a Top 5 FQB. I'm not banking on it anymore and I doubt JD is either.

I think the best options for us this offseason are Carr or Lamar. If we go the Jimmy G route, I would expect them to pair him up with another high draft pick at QB.