Lamar Jackson is Fool's Gold, Daniel Jones Is the Real Prize

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Jan 15, 2023.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Boy how much things can change in a year. Daniel Jones with Saleh and crew would be like 2-3 years ago. Daboll is a stud, and has made Jones a very respectable QB. I'm glad Jones is at least gonna get paid something considering he's been getting his ass kicked on the field and essentially since he was drafted, and has never openly complained about it, and rubbed his teammates the wrong way. Sorry couldn't help it. He's found the right coach, is tough as shit, and doesn't play out of his limits. He'd be silly to leave, and the Giants would be just as silly to not give him at worst $32-35 million annually.

SOJAZ and Borat like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Jones might have just played his way into more than a 3 year deal. He could legit be 4 or 5 at 35 aav

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I like a QB that also has legs to scramble and run. Jones like Allen has the potential to be a solid QB and worth the risk. When you have the size and legs to run, you can take patience with these types of QB. It makes them dangerous. There’s nothing dangerous about Matt White, Zach Wilson and Joe Flacco to give defense some looks. That said these 3 have to have little margin for errors especially if you don’t run the ball consistently well. The Giants were patient with Jones, and many giants fans were already ready to give up on him in year 2. I think he is now a dangerous QB.

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The Giants are going to resign Jones and Barkley.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

probably yeah, I can't see him getting away especially since I think they will take down Philly next week

GREG likes this.
  7. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not in favor of signing Daniel Jones, but I am in favor of driving his price up so high that the Giants never recover after signing him. And I would never trust Lamar Jackson after he sat out yesterday.

8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i'm saying this because i'm being a Jets fan more than a realist, but ZW might look at Jones and use that as motivation that careers can be resuscitated

NY Jets68 and bicketybam like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't read the Giants fan boards, but I got the impression over the past few years that most of their fans thought Jones was a bust, just like many Jets fans think Zach is, but look what proper coaching and the right scheme can do for a QB. I'm not saying Zach is guaranteed to succeed if these things were changed, but he sure might. No one knows, including all those here and elsewhere declaring him beyond salvage.

More importantly, I think Woody believes he can become what they expected when they drafted him, and he's certainly smarting after watching the Giants resurrect Jones and succeed, and even worse, the Jags resurrect Lawrence and make the playoffs quicker than the Jets. More than anything I think that's what cost MLF his job, and may yet cost Saleh his.

SOJAZ and bicketybam like this.
  10. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Sure ZW may do better next year and hope so under the new OC. But currently ZW lacks two traits imo compare to jones. The leadership and lack of awareness to scramble. His low completion % doesn’t really concern me at the moment and should improve over time, but for me when he lacks the two traits as a young QB struggling in NFL, then it doesn’t instill high hopes for me. I hope I am wrong .

11. BrowningNagle

Yes that is why Woody pushed out LaFleur, he wants to make Wilson work. That’s why we will end up with Bevell, a Zach Wilson/ Steve Young approved pick for coordinator

12. ColoradoContrails

And if that succeeds will you be upset?

bicketybam likes this.
  13. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

What Lamar did by not showing up is crummy and regardless if it is a contract squabble the players and coaching staff not nothing to do with it. He should still show up even if his knee isn’t right.

bicketybam likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

Why would I be upset if it succeeds? The chances of that happening are very low though. The offensive coordinator wasn't the problem, the kid is just not good at QB.

I don't think anyone should be happy with the owner telling the coaching staff who the offensive coordinator should be

15. BrowningNagle

I agree, I love Lamar Jackson for our Jets but he shoulda been there with his teammates last night. That was a bad move

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Daniel Jones won’t be available, Lamar Jackson just may be.

17. ColoradoContrails

Unless you have exceptional - or even above average - qualifications as an evaluator of QB talent, I don't know how you can be so certain that the problem wasn't the OC and was instead the QB. Again, just looking at what happened with Jones and Lawrence this year when they were coached by someone competent, is it not possible that Zach could turn things around given the same support? Again, I'm not saying that he will, but looking at these other two QBs, and then also looking at how MLF didn't do much to improve the offense overall in two years, how can you be so certain he wasn't the major problem?

bicketybam likes this.
  18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He's a Mike LeFleur fan apparently. As scarce as hen's teeth.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

My brother is a Giants fan and I told him if the they don't pay him the Jets will. For some reason Giants fans don't appreciate him like they should. I told him he has carried the team on his back the whole season. Not Barkley who I personally think is overrated.

20. BrowningNagle

Lawrence was never NOT good. Sure Pederson is a decent NFL coach but Lawrence is just a hell of a football player

Daniel Jones, yeah, you can give some props for Daboll for coaching him up, but Jones was never as bad as Wilson was/is.

At the end of the day though, I might not be a QB evaulator but Woody Johnson sure as fuck ain't. And he determined LaFleur was the problem, not the QB or the guy who mortgaged the future for that QB. That is concerning

HomeoftheJets likes this.