Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This whole Lamar situation all just depends on what it takes to get him. Obviously in a vacuum, everyone on this board would be beyond thrilled if Lamar Jackson is the starting QB for the Jets next season but that's not how this works.

The closest analogy we have to this would be the Watson trade last offseason.

Would everyone be ok with giving up 3 1sts (13th overall 2023, 2024 1st, and 2025 1st) plus a 3rd and a 4th for Lamar and a 5th? Then on top of that, you're going to have to pay him. We're not just talking Derek Carr money here, it would most likely have to be very similar if not the exact same deal Watson got. In the ballpark of a 5 year/230M, fully guaranteed deal.

Honestly, I still think I'd pull the trigger on this. Re-sign MW so that way you know you've got a capable back-up behind Lamar for when/if he gets hurt for a few games and try to trade Zach (maybe even include him in the trade package for Lamar if the Ravens are interested, not gonna reduce the number of 1's you trade but maybe we could hang onto that 3rd or 4th or turn those into a 4th/5th respectively).

If you have any leftover cap space, doubtful, use that to upgrade the OL. Draft picks, same deal, upgrade the OL first and then address the D.

Lamar would instantly elevate this offense to an above average one with the potential to be an elite one. Something that we've potentially never seen as Jets fans, ever.

It's a huge risk, but it could be one that's worth it in the long run.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not a fucking chance in hell. Reading that makes me want to puke. By 2026 we’d be right back at square one looking for a QB with no talent on the roster because we gave up all our picks for a guy that doesn’t make us a Super Bowl team and also had to pay him so we couldn’t afford to keep the homegrown talent.

JD has to know that’s a move that costs him his job sooner rather than later. The only way we do something that foolish is if Woody demands it and unfortunately that’s not something we can rule out.

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Exaggerating much? JD has to also know that if he swings and misses again and we miss the playoffs he's out this year -- which is sooner than it would be if he didn't get Lamar.

How does Lamar not make us a serious contender within the next 3 years? Majority of posters on this board say we are a 10 win team with mediocre QB play, Lamar is way more than just mediocre.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

We have no idea what Lamar would do to this team because he’s currently playing on a team that has master fully built around him every step of the way. We are just assuming that if he has someone like Garrett Wilson to throw to that he will magically become a star thrower but I think that’s very far from a given. How do you plan on upgrading the OL which is a desperate need especially if we are going to become a Lamar Jackson type team? We will have given up a shit load of picks and have almost no money left to spend.

like I said we have no idea what the outcome is but if we go the route outlined above we have absolutely no way to recover from it outside of a full blown fire sale and wiping of the slate.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You think Lamar would be out of the league or we would be in a position to want to move on from him in 3-4 years?

If you think about it, the Jets aren't in a terrible spot to weather missing a 1st round pick for 2-3 years.

GW, Sauce, Breece, AVT, JJ, Max Mitchell, JFM, and Clemons are all locked up through 2025. Reed, CJ (Mosley), MC2, Conklin, CJ (Uzomah), Tomlinson, and Elijah are locked up for the next 2 years. That's a decent core. Obviously that core alone isn't good enough but it's a great core to build around if everyone continues to progress. The cupboard wouldn't be completely bereft either, we'd still have our 2nd rounders, a few 3rds, etc. and you can never rule out JD making a trade to get us back into the 1st at some point or adding additional Day 2/3 picks.

We would already have talent at some of the most important positions (QB, WR, CB, DL) and the positions we're especially weak at, or will be weak at (S, LB, TE) are ones that can be had on Day 2 or later. The obvious hole is still at OT/IOL but I think we could find a couple of guys on Day 2 to be plus starters.

I'm not fully on board the Lamar train but I don't think it's one we can dismiss outright either.

dawinner127 likes this.
  6. dawinner127

Complete exaggeration on his part while trying to explain why he is out on Lamar. The cap is also a myth -- we watch teams move around money every year and figure it out. That isn't an excuse to not go after Lamar.

Your post is spot on.

NYJFOREVER and KY Jets Fan like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The offense has the weapons needed to be explosive. The defense has already proven it’s legit, they just need to add around the margins.

By the time the Jets would need to retool, the cap is going to be unbelievably high and they’ll have a ton of space, plus they’ll have all their picks back.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

I think we would be ready to move on after three or four years or more specifically, he would be more ready to move on. To repeat my sentiments from this thread and other threads… I just watched a back up quarterback step in for him and the team barely skipped a beat. That team is also better than the team we currently have outside of the wide receiver position. They also have a better coaching staff than we do especially considering we don’t even have a coach in place on the offensive side of the ball.

We can go back and forth with hypotheticals in the world but I will ask you one question that I’m trying to think of the answer to… Outside of Matt Stafford when has a team traded first round picks for quarterbacks and it ended up being worth it?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

As of this moment, the Jets will have 112M in cap space in 2024 before any cuts or additions. Cutting Mosley and Laken Tomlinson gives the Jets 136M to fill 29 spots, most of which will be filled by guys making the vet minimum or on rookie deals from the 2023 and 2024 class.

Not concerned about money in the slightest.

KY Jets Fan and dawinner127 like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

What you meant to say is you disagree with my point.

I would love nothing more than to expect the absolute best case scenario but anyone who has been a fan of the Jets for more than three hours knows that’s not exactly wise. And I asked it in another thread… When was the last time a team traded one or multiple first round picks for a quarterback and it ended up being worth it? Matt Stafford is just about the only example I can come up with.

there are also people on here rockhard for Lamar Jackson that told me and others I was an idiot for not wanting to give up first round picks for Russell Wilson.

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Agree on both.

Especially when you see what Lamar has had to work with during his time in Baltimore.

It's not like Baltimore has continuously had studs at every single skill position for the last 5 years. Obviously Andrews is lightyears better than what we have/would have at TE but I think you could make a legitimate case that a supporting cast of GW, Elijah, CD (if he stays), Breece/MC/Knight in the backfield and a TE trio of Conklin, Uzomah, Ruckert would be the best supporting cast Lamar has ever had in his career.

Again, I probably won't be pounding the table for Lamar this offseason because a Lamar trade has obvious drawbacks but it's not as crazy as I originally thought.

dawinner127 likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Tomlinson can start packing his bags now. What a terrible signing.

Though I dont think the Jets front office has the balls to land Lamar Jackson so I'm not gonna get my hopes up

KY Jets Fan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

At this point, I'd be happy to go full Rams/Saints and trash the cap for a SB win and spend the next 10 years in cap hell. It's the only way I'm going to see a VLT in my lifetime.

Otherwise, I can see next year being an 8-9 season and more gentle progression. I can't afford the alcohol to get through it any more.

JetFanInNE and KY Jets Fan like this.
  14. dawinner127

Yeah absolutely, I think you are exaggerating out the ass about the situation if we ended up trading for Lamar. I didn't even mention 3 1's. If they used the non exclusive on him (which is the latest report) and it costs us 2 1's, it's a no brainer.

I'm not sure who you are referring to about Russell Wilson b/c I wanted nothing to do with that guy.

15. BroadwayAaron

You should read the post I responded to. The one that says we would give up three first round picks and a fourth and a fifth.

16. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Porting this info over to the right thread:

This year, the Lamar Jackson led Ravens averaged 28.6 PPG for 11 games, which would have been third best in the NFL behind only KC (29.2) and BUF (28.8).

The Ravens without Lamar Jackson this year averaged 13.1 PPG for 7 games, which would have been dead last in the NFL, and by a significant amount (DEN 16.9).

Lamar Jackson was born the same year as Jets DE Michael Clemons.

17. dawinner127

Maybe you should.

[​IMG]

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Assuming he doesn’t go to a great organization, it’ll definitely be the most relevant and interesting case study of - does the organization and coach make the quarterback or vice versa.

I’ve also wondered for a while if the Ravens trapping him in the read option college offense has held his development back as a passer.

19. BroadwayAaron

Buddy, I responded to a post that proposed a trade package. That’s what the response was that you had a hissy fit about.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not sure the likelihood of non-exclusive tag is significant. In fact, I think it is almost non existent. Lamar will get Watson deal in free agency, there is just no way around it. Same deal he is asking the Ravens for right now, which they are unwilling to give. That means comp will only be two 1st round picks, and depending on who signs him and what other deals that team does, 2023 1st round pick could even turn out later in the draft. I think they can get a lot more if they do exclusive tag for 45 mil. Even their initial offer included 1st year 45 mil guarantee, so I don't see why they wouldn't do 45 mil exclusive tag. Russ was traded for two first and two seconds, including #9 overall. Deshaun was traded for 3 firsts including #13, plus 3d, and a 4th. It's a lot to leave on the table if you just do non exclusive tag and then big offer comes and you don't match.

IF they do move on, it will be exclusive tag, and then a deal similar to what teams gave up for Russ or Deshaun, meaning three firsts, 3d, and a 4th, or two 1sts and two 2nds. Plus 5 year 230-250 mil fully guaranteed.

KY Jets Fan and dawinner127 like this.