The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Too much experience.

2. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

This interviewing of non-experienced OC's is all a clever ploy so that when they anoint veteran OC and Saleh pal Bevell it will soften the blow.

#162 BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The approach is the opposite: get an OC stud, like a NE TE coach, which will then attract top notch QB.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's a contradiction in terms though. A rookie OC is not going to attract an established QB. The Jets are probably better off with no OC in house than with a guy who has never done the job before and whom a QB is going to look at as an established unknown quantity. At least with no OC there is a real chance that they wind up with an established one after the QB comes on board. With Mr. NE TE's coach that QB is going to be trying to figure out if it is a lost cause already.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fair. I don’t think anyone here wants to give up their middle class job to go coach the Jets for a couple million either.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

So he's choosing a sex siesta over an NFL OC gig. Hard to blame a guy for that.

7. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Cardinals are paying him for the next 4 years. Might as well bang your cock for a while.

Jojo likes this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Interviewing does not mean hiring. Chill people.

Jojo, KY Jets Fan, Ralebird and 2 others like this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Again.

This is what happens when you get rid of a guy who did find success at times when given enough to work with, then you have the obvious, Owner meddling, Lame duck coach, no QB, playoff mandate.

I will be thrilled but shocked If we even interview someone qualified for the position at this juncture.

It was just a terrible move to push MLF out the door.

.. but, hey, this Is what Jets fans wanted. So..

10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I believe the QBs and/or their existing teams will have more say therefore the lack of a QB is a problem.

*I also agree it’s a good job but your logic is flawed

#170 KingRoach, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Great podcast on Greg Olson: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...rek-carr-jets-oc/id1475388561?i=1000594453604

They have a journalist on covering the Raiders, who watched him for years, talking about Greg.

Some Pros
    - Can really maximize QB play, great QB coach, can really develop young QBs
    - Able to adjust his system to fit player's strength
    - Can get great production from WRs, specifically mentioned guys like GW and Moore
    - Overall average, but can be a great coordinator if he has star X wide receiver (cough GW cough)

Cons
    - Play calling is inconsistent: one game can be great, and next poorly called
    - Took a while adjusting when top X WR went down

Overall, he thinks it's a good, not great hire, but significantly better than other names that have been floating around, including Bevell, Marcus Brady, and other inexperienced guys. Thinks pass first, a lot of screen passes, when runs could be called, Can be great with a great X receiver, who stays healthy. Compared him to poor man's McVay.

Anyway, a good listen. Also, as I posted before has some solid recent results as OC. My view is that this is someone I would not mind to be the Jets OC and could be an upgrade over MILF. Compared to other names that were circulated, seems like he should be at the top of the list behind Reich. I think he can bring the Jets offense to at least average level, and maybe even more and maximize QB and WR development and play.

12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

In other words, one of the biggest weaknesses that LaFleur had.

Olson would be about as unexciting a hiring as I think the Jets could make.

Jojo, SOJAZ and Cman68 like this.
  13. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I'm trying not to pay too much attention to all the names being thrown around... I'm averse to nausea.
    I will say, if they bring in another inexperienced up'n'comer, it'll really be a huge buzzkill after the MLF parting.
    My biggest fear relates to my first red-flag on Saleh, when he was hired. He assembled a CS of friends, & inexperienced question marks.
    Why?
    Is he a control freak? Is he insecure & afraid to be upstaged? Does he think he knows everything? Etc?
    I was really troubled at the time, & especially on O, my fears have unfortunately played out.
    I'm really hoping Saleh's grown up a bit, & willing to hire a real experienced offensive mind, to complement his 'expertise' on D. Also, I hope the organization has set up some sort of committee, to help him not make a similar hire like MLF.

(Later) For the heck of it, I checked Petullo's resume. He'd be another newby OC. Another passing game coordinator. We just did that. No!

#173 burf, Jan 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    SOJAZ, NY Jets68, Ralebird and 3 others like this.
  14. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

No touchdowns 3 straight games…. End of story.
    Anyone that thinks he should still have a job is crazy.

Jojo, KY Jets Fan, papapump and 2 others like this.
  15. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

Do we have confidence that our GM, and coach are going to get the right guy in here? They failed miserably the first time. Nobody knows shit about offensive football in the whole organization. Think this will be a desperation hire, and the end of next season will be another losing season and the reset button will be hit again

Cman68 likes this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

I don't care. Call me crazy.

Things happened and I understand how It happened. We had endless injuries and a QB carousel, It's not rocket science on the why... It wasn't MLF.

You guys honestly think us firing MLF Is going to bring a dominate offense now? I suppose we shall see.

MLF Is about to go be the OC for the Rams.

Who are we about to hire? NE TE coach?

Awesome.

17. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

And McVay calls the plays. He is going to be an OC and not even call the plays. MLF stunk. Get over it. You will get your chance next year to gloat because I think Saleh probably stinks as well.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I was afraid of

I want no part of any NE assistant…they have ALL been trash.

especially a fucking TE coach? That would be the fucking worst thing we could do

I don’t get hiring yet another first time OC who’s never done it before

woody at his best….what a fucking joke

Jojo, Cman68 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  19. IIMeanDeanII

It's not about gloating.

I see the writing on the wall and I see the direction we are headed now.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm pissed because I don't believe I am.

MLF didn't stink, he had a great scheme and oops were there. All the time. Players just didn't make it happen.

.. and if you think he's going to the Rams to just be a prop, that's a foolish stance.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, he has some weaknesses, like MILF, but there are strengths too like developing QBs, maximizing WR production, adopting the scheme to fit the roster and not the other way around. These were MILF's weakness that would be strengths with Olson. He had top 10 scoring offense, also #8 in yards as recently as 2020. #11 in yards in 2021. I don't now what's exciting to you, but candidates that do not have any flaws are not available. For me it would be exciting to get a guy who is proven to maximize players potential, great developer of QB and WR, and has ability to make us top 10 offense, because he actually did it for the Raiders fairly recently. Also runs WCO, which would minimize learning curve for our players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.