January 12, 1969

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RPOZ51, Jan 12, 2023.

1. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Didn’t anyone here remember this day in Jets history (also that Led Zeppelin released their first album in the US)?

#1 RPOZ51, Jan 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  2. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Yes, at around 8 PM our Super Bowl Less Streak of 54 years and counting began.

Cman68 and RPOZ51 like this.
  3. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

You know you’re officially old when you remember stuff that happened over 50 years ago.

I was only 11, but still.

4. burf

burf Well-Known Member

There's not a January 12th that passes, I don't think about it.
    I often wonder which is better... experiencing a Supe win, then living a whole life without a repeat... or never experiencing one, like so many on TGG?
    I still have my slightly wilted program (& ticket stubs), from the '68 AFL Championship game, & an LP record of the Merle Harmon & Sam DeLuca's calls during that championship season.
    I guess I'm old too... Been a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong wait!

5. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

LOL. I was only 2, so I don't remember it.

RPOZ51 and bicketybam like this.
  6. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Try hypnotism ;)

ukjetsfan, dmw and RPOZ51 like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've wondered that too myself, but frankly after 50+ years it's like it never happened so what's the actual difference?

I'm glad I saw it and remember it, but if anything it adds to my frustration that this franchise that had so much promise then has spent decades being clueless. It doesn't seem possible to have that level of ineptness for so long. I don't believe in "curses" but I do believe in ignorance and hubris being the bar to effective change.

dawinner127, papapump and RPOZ51 like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Parcells tried to channel it by reverting back to the uniforms worn that day.

Woody gave us Stealth Black Fairy Wings... :confused:

9. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I have to agree. I know that I watched it, but I don’t clearly remember a. Lot of things that happened when I was 11. I think the things I clearly remember about the game are probably from highlights I’ve seen over the years.

I used to play the video of SB III every Super Bowl Sunday.

10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And in 2023, Joe Willie Namath should be the starting QB for the Jets. He's 79 and 79 is the new 39, which makes him younger than Tom Brady.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think the Rams want 2 firsts & a player to be named later...

[​IMG]

dmw likes this.
  12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I think I've told this story a few times so forgive me. My dad had season tickets back then with him and a few buddies. They went to the AFL title game. After the game they talked about going to the Super Bowl together. They all finally decided no need, Namath would get them there a few more times so they'll just go next time. Man, he still regrets that to this day.

dawinner127, dmw, burf and 2 others like this.
  13. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

That picture should never be shown here. Fuck Lou Holtz.

Acad23 likes this.
  14. burf

burf Well-Known Member

And, IIRC, Joe has two new knees to add to his QB arsenal.

dmw likes this.
  15. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I don't blame your dad for thinking that. At the time, I was a young Jets, Knicks, & Mets fan. All three won championships that year. What a great year to be a fan, & I was so happy I had chosen the Mets & the Jets, & not the Yankees, or the Giants, even though I'm from the Bronx, & all my friends rooted for them.
    Little did I know...

KWJetsFan likes this.
  16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Zeppelin released an album on a Sunday?

17. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

18. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

Let me put that game in historical perspective:

the AAFC folded in 49, and 3 teams joined the NFL. Balt, SF, and the champion Browns.
    NFL wiseguys, including the commish( BELL) from Philly, deliberately scheduled the first game in Phiily with the AAFC champ Browns against the NFL champ Eagles.

the Browns dismantled the Eagles badly. Philly press called Browns a gimmick team, that did nothing but pass.
    so , on the rematch in Cleveland, the Browns did not throw a single pass all game!.
    slaughtered the eagles again..
    head coach, paul brown. top assistant, weeb ewbank. guard, chuck noll safety, don shula

so, in SB 3, Jet head coach, weeb ewbank top assistant, buddy ryan center, john schmidt defensive end, verlon biggs
    not only did namath call all the plays at the line of scrimmage, but the jets did not pass the ball the entire 4th quarter.

buddy ryan based his defense on sending more guys than blockers and putting his best DT head up on the center, as KC did to Miiny in SB4 under hank stram.

1969 playoffs for 1970 SB4 was first time for wild card, as Oakland had to play Houston at home, and Jets had to play KC at home first, unlike the year before when Jets played Oakland at Shea.

KC won SB4 as the second place team in the west....

now, for the mind blowing part: if GB under Lombardi had not gone to the first two SB, the AFL would have won all 4 games.

19. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Obviously not alive during this time, but the fact that Namath called the plays is unheard of. Terry Bradshaw also did this for the majority of his career I remember hearing. People judge Namath on his stats and I hate when they do that. Nobody in that era had eye popping numbers. My guy Joe was a baller on and off the field lol.