Studs and Duds 2022-2023 NFL season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

The collapse makes him a dud right now, but I think his point was that if you didn’t know how the season played out, you would think he did well with what happened. The epic collapse was awful, and it’s what we all remember.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

of course he's going to say that because as a team they did, but they changed due to the good job he was doing and even if he slipped at the end it doesn't ruin the body of work
    for example lets say our rookie WR had an expectation of 800 yards. lets say he met that halfway through the year. then you may expect 1600 yards. maybe he does too. but he slips up a little at the end and winds up with 1050 yards. still a great season overall and still met expectations. you wouldn't call him a dud but that is what people are doing for saleh
    Q had a reasonable expectation of 10 sacks. 10 sacks from a DT is far from mediocre. it's elite. try again

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'll never be happy with six straight losses to end a season.... unless it's preceded by eleven straight wins... then we can talk.

Nyjets4eva and GasedAndConfused like this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Even that would be tragic.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We'd still be in the playoffs... tragically.

6. GasedAndConfused

me either. I don't think anyone would be. but it's just like if Q had 12 sacks in 12 games then none the final 5 you'd still say his season was a success. even if it ended not great. starting off 7-4 was above and beyond what we could have expected. if we started off 4-7 and then finished 3-3 I don't think anyone would be complaining. I try to look at the season as a whole in hindsight but I get it's tougher to do that when your unhappy with the final 6 weeks and we are all probably still pretty pissed about ruining what should have been a playoff birth for the 1st time in over a decade.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Except we're not talking about individual players.

We're talking about a team that came out flat in key games at the end of the season.
    We're talking about a head coach that grossly mishandled the quarterback situation.
    We're talking about a head coach letting players wear t-shirts & costumes to games that undermined team unity.

We're talking about a head coach that didn't replace Braden Mann!

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A guy who performs to expectations is a guy doing his job. Exceeding expectations is what makes a guy a stud. Surely you're not trying to say that every NFL DT has the same expectations?

And for you to now begin to talk about individual performance when our disagreement was about the team as a whole is inconsistent.

9. GasedAndConfused

we came out flat on offense. the QB play was horrendous, injuries piled up. the D was top 5 all year.
    he handled the QB situation great. he had the balls to bench zach. but didn't throw him under the bus either. he made the right choice of going with white over flacco who was ineffective in his 3 starts.
    lol what about tshirts?
    he has no ability to replace players, thats the GM

10. GasedAndConfused

star players have star expectations and are studs for meeting them
    solid players have solid expectations and are studs for exceeding them
    just becuase you expect peyton manning to throw 40 TDs and 4500 yards and he does, doesn't mean he's just doing his job. it means he's expected to be a stud
    I don't expect you to understand that though

11. bicketybam

He handled the QB situation "great?" They won one game after he benched Wilson and had MetLife booing him off the field in the he Jax game. Then he starts White with 5 broken ribs against Seattle with the playoffs on the line. Great isn't the world I would use.

Nyjets4eva and Acad23 like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

most coaches wouldn't have benched zach. but it was the right call and a tough one. he did what was best for the player and the team. he chose to start white over flacco, again tough decision but the right one. white was medically cleared, wanted to play, and gave them the best chance to win.

13. bicketybam

Dude. Did you see White in that Seattle game? He could barely throw a pass. How do you not pull him at some point?

I have no problem with the Zach benching. It just didn't get the results we wanted (1 win).

14. GasedAndConfused

we had no better option. you seen flacco and streveler right?

15. bicketybam

I saw Flacco win the Cleveland game.

16. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

you’re right most coaches would of benched him much sooner

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Nice job as always @GasedAndConfused but I think you put WAY too many Studs. I would say:

Studs:
    -Quinnen Williams (His best season yet. One of the best players in the NFL)
    -Breece Hall (Amazing rookie season before his torn ACL)
    -Sauce Gardner (One of the best CB's in the NFL and he is only a rookie)
    -Garrett Wilson (Possibly the best Jets WR of my life and he is only a rookie too)
    -Alijah Vera-Tucker (Great lineman who played multiple positions before his injury)
    -DJ Reed (Amazing CB2 for the Jets and helped Sauce become the CB1 he is)

That's it. No one else is really Stud worthy.

Duds:
    -Robert Saleh
    -Mike LaFleur
    -Braxton Berrios
    -Braden Mann
    -Zach Wilson
    -Mike White
    -Joe Flacco
    -Michael Carter
    -Corey Davis
    -Elijah Moore
    -Laken Tomlinson
    -George Fant
    -Duane Brown
    -Connor McGovern
    -Lamarcus Joyner
    -Jordan Whitehead
    -Denzel Mims
    -CJ Uzomah
    -Greg Zeurlin

18. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree with your last 2, white or CMG

Jordan Whitehead was disappointing though. He is physical in the box as advertised, but he gets smoked in coverage

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why are you talking about star players? Why are you talking about Peyton Manning? He's retired. He was never a New York Jet. Look at the top of the page. We are talking about your 2022 rating of "Studs and Duds on the NY Jets, specifically Robert Saleh's peformance as Head Coach. To rate him as mediocre is too high by any metric even if "meeting expectations" is all you need to rate someone as a stud. I expect even you to understand this. I do not expect you to be honest enough, even with yourself, in objectively rating those you have praised all along. So be it.

20. GasedAndConfused

I mean he had a good game, his only one for us, but we should have lost. if it wasn't for the browns blowing a coverage leading to an easy long TD right off the bat and them giving us an onside kick we lose that game.
    right cause fields got benched despite being a worse passer then zach by all metrics. how about davis mills? he was down there too and wasn't even a high pick.
    don't worry my reasonable expectations of you is so low you could never be a dud :)