The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This is what I’m afraid of…the only name on Cimini’s list I think is decent is Greg Olsen…no more Hackett…I’ve had enough going back to Paul fucking Hackett, no to Bevell, honestly that’s not a real inspiring list

2. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Honest question....

Do you agree with the press narrative that says the Jets job is a very unattractive job?

Let me tell you I don't....

I really this is stupid. The stated reasons are:

1) QB

2) PLAYOFF mandate by Woody....

QB is a non-issue as any hired OC would have say on who the Jets acquire through free agency or trade. In other words the OC gets his guy that he feels most comfortable with.

Playoffs expectations SHOULD be the expectations given that the Jets have a lot of talent on offense. I don't understand how any OC would be afraid of a playoff mandate when you'd be working a good, young supporting offensive cast?

This is to say nothing about having the 4th overall in points allowed defense to get the ball back for the offense.

I find the reasoning that the press gives as complete BS. I think any OC worth his salt would love an opportunity like the Jets job.....

Pepsiguy5 and cval like this.
  3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

ancient chinese proverb: be careful what you wish for...

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Lack of a good QB or a top pick where you can get one to develop is a big deal. Also, people do want stable jobs. It's not fun moving family from one place to next every year. With that said, I am hopeful JD and Saleh can convince best candidates about some of the positives of the job, such as good defense which alleviate pressure, commitment to pursue a good QB, GW and Breece, etc... But yeah, no QB and play-off mandate are definitely deterrents. It's up to JD and Saleh to sell this job to the best candidates. It would be a huge disappointment if we end up with downgrades like Bevell and Hackett.

5. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

Do you get a qb first or a oc? Both need each other. If Zach stays doesn't matter who you bring in

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, and there's another old saying: "Nothing changes if nothing changes".

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Who's on your list that is a) realistic and b) and upgrade?

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There are only 32 OC jobs in the NFL. Many qualified OC's won't have that title in 2023. You explained it well how the Jets are appealing as far as having a great defense, having Breece Hall and Garrett Wilson, etc.

There will be many qualified people having interest in the role. The bigger issue is Saleh picking the right one.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't know who is realistic, but we need to aim high. Reich, Kubiak, maybe Kingsbury. I haven't really looked at who might actually be available but leave no stone unturned. We cannot settle here.

papapump and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. bicketybam

I think Reich and Kubiak are unrealistic.

Just don't assume if they hire a lessor known or "non-superstar" coordinator that the Jets didn't try. That's all.

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think Reich is interviewing for the Panthers HC role…I doubt he comes here to be the OC

rockyusmc2003 and bicketybam like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am OK with lesser known, as long as there is a decent track record, some potential, though I don't think it should be a very first time play caller. However, I am not OK with known ones who stunk lately like Bevell and Hackett, just because they have experience.

SOJAZ, Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. bicketybam

If they exhaust every other avenue, they may have no choice.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  15. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

You would think the current staff is in a lame duck scenario. Is that an appealing situation for a OC with options to step into?

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The best bets are going to be older with real experience as an OC and kids already out of the house so no problem moving for a year. If they're from the northeast it shouldn't be hard to rent the old homestead for a year instead of selling it.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. bicketybam

That narrows it down a bit!

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I am curious if Saleh/Douglas will look for someone to mold/modify Lafleur's offense (since the players are somewhat familiar), or get someone who will bring in a total new scheme. It might be time for some new blocking schemes--the last 3 games it looked like the OL did not open one decent hole for a RB. Yes, I know we had subs/scrubs on the OL at the end, but give me a break. OG Tomlinson, for one, might benefit from a change in the blocking schemes. As far as I read, Tomlinson was not hurt all year, but was still one of the worst guards in the whole NFL. I thought one reason they signed him was his familiarity with Lafleuer's system--sure didn't show it.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

press conference just released says scheme isn’t an issue

JetsNation06 and tomdeb like this.
  20. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

And you know that's going to happen? You know for certain no matter who takes the job that they are definitely going to fail and ultimately fire the entire coaching staff? Trading for an established veteran is the more INFORMATIVE way of being an OC. You have a whole bunch of "known commodities " to look at. You can look at their pro careers and evaluate appropriately from there. If you draft a kid out of the draft you have a total crap shoot. Your rebuttal is absurd and makes no sense at all. The Jets offense has good talent on the OL, in the RB room, and in the WR room. Other than reinforcing the OL and acquiring a COMPETENT QB to run it this offense is ready to roll.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.