Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

How? They don’t even play the same position. The price of Q was gonna always be in between L Williams and That monster on LA Rams.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I have a hard time seeing this be a good move for the Jets to be honest.

KingRoach likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That duo is 50/50 to have somebody on IR by mid-season every season.

Jojo and Acad23 like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

It doesn’t look like Lamar is playing in a playoff game this weekend. He obviously hurt his knee, but you generally suit it up if you want a $250 million guaranteed contract.

What happens with him and his money is going to be fascinating this off-season. Russ, Kyler and Deshaun Watson securing their bags this season really put a lot of teams in a bad spot. Herbert and Burrow might push $70 million/year.

5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It's getting to the point where you can either have a quarterback, or you can have a team. If you aren't lucky enough to find a QB who is productive on his rookie deal it is almost impossible to bring one in without shooting yourself in the foot everywhere else.

I doubt this will happen, but I'd like to see a maximum salary brought in. Maybe 10 per cent of the salary cap, something like that. It's not exactly chump change, but it would stop this insane spiralling of QB salaries.

Leicester Jet, CotcheryFan and Jets79 like this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Imagine saying no to trading for a 26 year old MVP.

LMAO

Losmeister and RevisIsland18 like this.
  7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Dude, I feel this, but I just can't see any QB surviving without improving the OL depth. First string w/ AVT appears to be fine, but, man, the minute that he went down, (yes, and also losing Breece), everything went to hell quite quickly. If we could say for sure that JD could fill the OL with quality late round selections, then, yes, it would make sense to get Lamar. But I just don't know how JD does it right now. Maybe he can score another Jamal Adams haul and trade Wilson and a third for two seconds or something. Maybe things look a little different after FA, but right now, it doesn't seem like Lamar is the best fit.

8. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

You trade for Lamar and it doesn’t work out, it is over for 5 years, no hope. Look at Denver, Seattle has what, number 2 pick, Denver is awful and has no picks or chance to fix it. There only hope is to fix Russel Wilson. He has to be savior. They alt least have a chance. Now take Lamar and say he gets hurt, again. Can’t keep fixing hurt.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Not only that but the Cardinals and Browns are in similar situations. I actually think Denver is in the best of them all because I don’t think Russ is as bad as advertised.

TwoHeadedMonster and chandler like this.
  10. NYJFOREVER

If the coaching staff and front office can’t figure out how to make a 26 year old MVP the “right fit”, then they should fire everyone now and save us the season.

He’s a 26 year old MVP winner. Not some mid 30s, washed up QB.

Losmeister likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

He’s going to miss a quarter of the season in back to back years and wants a fully guaranteed contract.

He’s also a running QB who has regressed three straight years as a passer since he won the aforementioned MVP. This stuff can’t be ignored when analyzing the move.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to question the legitimacy of this second injury and how much is it him actually milking it b/c of no long term contract. It's a PCL injury which looks like a 1-3 week injury and he should have been back by now.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  13. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I'm with Vilma, LJ scares the crap out of me. Injuries, a new guaranteed contract, and picks....yikes. Although, he is fun to watch.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

I agree but that’s an additional red flag if he won’t play a playoff game.

15. NYJFOREVER

The only concern I have is the injuries. However, I’d be willing to bet his current injury is fugazzi.

Lamar has never played with a Garrett Wilson or Breece Hall before.

16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

sort of has the "instant coffee", Leveon Bell will fix everything vibe. Pass

Get a decent, hold the fort Veteran. Draft a QB who processes quickly and can play in cold weather (and keep doing that until we find our guy)

If Lamar were available our first question should be why?

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Lamar's injury history makes it a big risk, but a healthy Lamar Jackson on the Jets makes them a Super Bowl contender. That would be a big roll of the dice. I still think he stays in Baltimore, but his injury this year could change that.

Poeman likes this.
  18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Agreed not getting my hopes up he comes here. If there was no franchise tag I'd be way more optimistic

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He wants a fully guaranteed contract and given his frame, penchant to run with the ball, and his injury history, I think it would be insane to sign him should he become available. He's also going to command a ton of money. If they sign him and he gets hurt or doesn't pan out, it will set this franchise back five years at least.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

If we fail, it would not be because we didn't try. It would be because we are the same old cursed Jets