Mike LaFleur out as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

My head hurts.

Gary Kubiak would be an EXP offensive mind that knows this system. All I got right now.

SOJAZ, Cman68, dawinner127 and 3 others like this.
  2. Johnnypump

Johnnypump Member

I know some may think this might have been harsh and LaFleur was the scapegoat. This may or may not be true. However, in the scheme of things it really doesn’t matter. One has to look back at the very beginnings when Saleh was hired as HC and he assembled his staff. In reality hiring a first year HC, with a first time OC and pairing him with a rookie QB was destined to fail. In reality you need a proven guy who has developed QB’s to be on your staff. No knock against Saleh. The bottom line is Saleh is a defensive guy and he himself knows nothing about QB’s. It wa unfortunate that Greg Knapp passed. However, he should have been replaced with a veteran offensive mind who has developed QB’s. This all falls on Saleh and JD to an extent. The reality is the results were not good enough. I don’t want to hear about injuries. Ask anyone, injuries are apart of the game. Look at SF. There quarterback is Mr Irrelevant. They have not missed a beat! He deserved to be fired!!!!!! One must ask yourself this question. What do you think a coach like Belicheck would have done? Bill puts up with no nonsense. This is why he is so successful. The Patriots are in the same place as we are on offense. I guarantee he brings in an OC. Some already say he is after Kliff Kingsbury. Rightfully so. This is a results business and the Jets need to get Results! Look at Daboll and the Giants. We could have hired Daboll instead of Saleh. Saleh better start worrying about winning as opposed to his sayings that he puts on his T-Shirts!!!!!! If he doesn’t he will be joining LaFleur next year on the unemployment line and rightfully so.

SOJAZ, Borat, Nyjets4eva and 2 others like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what their actual intentions with Zach are. If they're thinking they can get him unlocked after a year on the bench and some spot starts, I don't see them going after Carr who would be a 4-5 year fixture at least (barring any injuries). In that case I would expect them to try and trade Zach, and maybe keep White.

If they go with someone like Minshew or that caliber I think it means a QB competition right away, and the loser becomes #2, or they hand the reins to the FA and let Zach sit/backup for a year and then have that competition.

Borat and Cman68 like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

Well it's not like we've had offensive juggernauts over that span.

And no, it's not all on the OCs, but they're the first ones to feel the bite of the ax.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The offense showed that it was ineffective and unproductive for two seasons, that's what it showed, it was never close to what a reasonable person would call "good.". When players were lost the OC was unable to adapt to the situation at any level. There was no reason to maintain the status quo unless someone expected things to change simply by tearing a page off the calendar.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Now we wait to see the replacement. LaFleur's offense was disappointing, so it is up to Saleh/Douglas to find an improvement. Until I see who that is, I can't really comment if the move is right or not. All I know is it is justified as the offense was horrendous ever since AVT and Hall went down.

Someone on Twitter brought up something interesting too: Week 1 Garrett Wilson was barely used. It confused everyone then, and he was instantly given more Week 2. That still makes no sense. Ineptitude shown by MLF and his staff ever since the season began.

SOJAZ, Borat, Nyjets4eva and 3 others like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Who said the system was great? Maybe it was part of the problem. Having OL that weren't necessarily suited for the scheme raises questions for me. Forcing Zach to be a pocket QB right out of the gate is another problem IMO.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Mean, they got rid of one coach, many teams make these type of adjustments. The Ravens have gone through a bunch of OC (9) under Harbaugh.

Just breathe and see who they bring in, I hope it’s not Nathaniel Hackett…:D:D

Nyjets4eva, Cman68 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  10. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Scapegoat for a mediocre HC, bad OLine, and the leagues worst Qb play. Best of luck to MLF.

JohnnyP123456 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

I assume this means Saleh is safe for now and gets to coach next season. That's okay. I have mixed feelings about keeping him, but if they can get someone to unlock Zach and/or a legit starting QB and get this offense competitive with the rest of the playoff teams, I'll be happy.

Borat and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  12. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

The O looked good when things went to plan. But, yeah that wasn’t often. I’d like to see some consistency though.

As for playing guys against their strengths…yeah I don’t get that either. I think that’s more a factor of the OC’s stubbornness (or lack of creativity) than the scheme.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A guy can't be called a scapegoat for those things that are his direct responsibility. He can't be a scapegoat for his boss but the line and quarterback are both his responsibility - he owns it.

SOJAZ, Borat and Acad23 like this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's not really hard to understand. Their players executed the game plan, the plays, ours did not. The QB and OL problems were just too much. Losing our star RB was icing on the cake.

Washington had a QB carousel too but I believe all their QB's threw a 60% or above completion percentage. We didn't get that.

They fell apart at the end of the year too. They didn't figure It out.

Neither did the Texans. They finished the year 3-13.

Anyway. I'm not debating this, these teams weren't success stories either.

I can't wait to see the brilliant offensive mind that they are going to bring In to fix such a terrible offensive system and play caller though.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Very good start to the offseason. Time to upgrade at OC. Let's go!

Nyjets4eva and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

You have to think this puts a lot of pressure on Saleh if the Jets bring in a coach like Kubiak and his Superbowl pedigree. If Saleh starts stockpiling timeouts and allowing his team to rack up penalties there will be a viable, veteran nearby to step in and call the shots.

#76 BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    SOJAZ, Nyjets4eva, teamgreen and 2 others like this.
  17. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

If the official story is to be believed, (a big if considering the lack of transparency), maybe the Jets asked Lafleur to stay in a diminished role, perhaps under a new OC, saw the writing on the wall and decided to hit the Turnpike for greener pastures. Nepotism is rampant in sports and easily overlooked, even encouraged, when winning. But when losing, it can become a powerful weapon for the detractors.

Regardless of how it all went down, you can't say the guy was given much ammunition to work with during his tenure. The final nail in the coffin was an anemic 11 pts/gm in the last six when in playoff contention which would have had even the most aromatic of flowers pushing up daisies at Floral Park.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Not scoring a TD in the last 3 games is not a good look and I haven't been as harsh on him as others here. I hope he has success wherever he goes.

KY Jets Fan and Nyjets4eva like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Yeah. Assuming they bring in an experienced guy - both with OC and HCing experience - I think that sends the message to Saleh: "You're okay for now, but you need to deliver or you're next, and we won't a full season necessarily".

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saleh doesn't strike me as being an idiot. He has to know he's in Woody's crosshairs and had better produce a winner in '23. Another 6 game choke and its over for the nice guy/players coach.

SOJAZ, Borat, Nyjets4eva and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.