Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That and last name thread titles…

[​IMG]

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  2. Jets OG fan

Jets OG fan Well-Known Member

I don't know what to say about Becton. Promising rookie year, but injuries derailed him big time. Hope he can make a comeback, but that shouldn't dissuade the Jets from drafting a first or second round tackle this year.

3. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I have zero expectations for Becton. I think you have to plan to replace him and if he actually comes through next season you have that much more O-Line depth.

#23 BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'll believe it when I see it. DGAF about whatever tweets, twats or toots he manages to produce. Just show me..

5. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I like the kid. He hasn't helped himself to this point by being out of shape but I hope that with his kid being born and the adversity for growth. He will come back healthier and stronger than ever. This Is a make or break year for him. I'm rooting for him!

bicketybam likes this.
  6. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Not addressing OL early in last year's draft hoping that Becton could get/stay on the field was a calculated risk on JD's part, and well worth it based on cornerstone players taken with 3 of his first 4 picks, BUT that cannot be the plan this year. If the value is there I would be totally fine with our first 2 picks this year being OL...

Jets79 likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

A few of us brought up that point last year - glad Becton finally understood the obvious.

burf and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Becton is sounding like a player who just finished his 3rd contract year and is concerned his 5th year option won't be exercised, which the jets would have to do before the start of the next season.

I doubt they'll exercise his 5th year option given that he's missed the last 2 years and didn't show up for some non-mandatory off-season programs (despite Saleh begging him to do so).

He'll still be only 24 when TC starts and they'll be ready for TC. Now if only #2's light can illuminate,

Actually, it sounds like a player who's rightfullupy worried that his 5th year option won't get picked

#28 edray10, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2023
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It would be great to lock this guy in as our RT man. Just stay on the field dude.

bicketybam likes this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The collective bargaining agreement does not allow a team to require such things.

Borat likes this.
  11. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I don’t know what to make of him. I am not expecting much from him. If he shows up, plays and earn his way to the roster spot or starter then great. But going to the off season we have to draft a high end OL, even if it’s Becton’s position.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  12. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

MDJets = Spot on. Pretty much said everything I wanted to say. It was a presser. Let's leave it at that. Today our organization should make staff plans as if Becton is no longer on the team. Way too risky for us to plan around his status/availability.

13. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Hope so. But also pretty guarded in my optimism.... "I've seen this movie before". Jets need to draft Tackle and an interior Oline regardless. If MB recovers its a great competition and at worst, important depth at a critical NFL position that few teams get through the season without needing depth at.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

And rightfully so…there is no way in hell his fifth year option should be picked up…dude hasn’t played in two years

he’ll be playing for a contract this year…and honestly based on his past injury history as well as his lack of motivation and skipping g of workouts,I wouldn’t sign him to a big deal regardless. Players who don’t work hard until it’s a contract year are unlikely to keep working hard after they sign a big deal. Once they show you who they are, you just have to allow yourself to see it. Big money never makes a player work harder….

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

my man has played 15 of a possible 50 NFL games in his first 3 seasons. I'll believe it when I see it.

Jets79 and Cman68 like this.
  16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

The Jets cant go into the season planning on him being anything but hurt again. Can't be dumpster diving for offensive linemen because an often injured player go injured.

Having said that, if he comes into the season healthy and motivated, he's going to win a starting job without a doubt.

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think #2 is motivated, but he's just not putting it together...yet. He may never put it together though.

ColoradoContrails likes this.