Year End Grade: Robert Saleh - Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your grade?

1. A+ to A-

1.4%
  2. B+ to B-

21.8%
  3. C+ to C-

49.3%
  4. D or Lower

27.5%
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well adding a Sr. O Asst./QB Guru would be a good start. I still hope that they revisit the offensive scheme they're trying to run because it's not working given the players they have.

2. ColoradoContrails

Another point Saleh made was that he expects Zach to take these next 4 months leading up to OTAs "getting himself right", which to me means he's told Zach if he wants to be considered the QB on this team he'll focus on addressing his shortcomings and spend less time (no time) partying with his best buds.

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am not sure what scheme would work when you have the offensive line we had this year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The chuck and duck.

cval likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

And I'm not sure how much that scheme had to do with the OL injuries and other problems.

Br4d likes this.
  6. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Douglas said he loves Saleh, which means Saleh's staying put.
    So, for now, it looks like the only change will be bringing in an experienced O guy.
    While I'd have liked more changes, at least it's a step forward... of course that depends on who they bring in.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Which OL injuries do you attribute to the scheme?

8. ColoradoContrails

I can't say for sure. I'm nowhere near an expert on OL play. But I suspect that this scheme didn't help Becton, and given the other injuries and problems, it makes me wonder if it wasn't the source of many of them.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets blocking scheme requires mobile quick linemen. It's predicated on keeping the defense moving horizontally on the line of scrimmage and using cutoff blocks as they become available.

The problem is that if you have bigger offensive linemen the scheme tires them out as much as it tries to tire out the defensive line. Tired players are more likely to get injured.

I know the outside zone is the thing of the day in the NFL right now but it really is a shitty blocking scheme when you're trying to keep your OL healthy over the course of a season.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't know, CC. I showed an article on Becton before where he has knock knees and carrying large weight is an issue for him. He had trouble staying on the field even under Gase. I suspect that had more to do with it. I was glad to see him lose weight now and carry less weight in the offseason. Mitchell's issue seems to be internal and unrelated to any scheme. Duane Brown was old and had to get up to speed quickly. Perhaps that one was on coaches, but he didn't even get injured in game. The only one we can really judge perhaps is AVT play, if we can find the play where he got injured and see if it had to do with specifics of the scheme, but I doubt it.

11. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Where I see a scheme could lead to injuries, is the blocking scheme, which would likely effect the overall scheme to a degree.
    I do think the blocking scheme may've needed some tweaks, after injuries. The replacements weren't as mobile, as a healthy Becton or AVT, so a less mobile OLman could possibly get injured trying to do things beyond their physical limitations.
    Did this cause injuries... who knows? But it goes to one of my basic criticisms of this whole CS... they don't adjust schemes to the talent they have. They try to force players to be something they're not.
    Adjustments & adaption are severely lacking on this CS.

cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Br4d

Becton is not a fit in this scheme in any way. He's just too heavy to be able to play in it for any significant period of time.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. burf

burf Well-Known Member

We seemed to be typing a similar response at the same time... genius post, I have to say ;)

Br4d likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think clearly we are missing experience on offensive side and are learning on the job so to speak, not able to adjust to difficult situations, such as having historically bad Oline. I am hoping next year the OLine talent will be better, current coaching staff will learn from the adversity faced this year, and we will have more experience with Knapp replacement. But I didn't see how the scheme caused injuries.

burf likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Lets drop the zone running scheme. The only issue is we drafted Hall specifically because he was a good fit for that scheme.

16. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I've never heard that before, that they drafted Breece as a scheme fit.
    That said, I don't think that's much of an issue. Breece is a fit for any scheme, & I believe they would've drafted him whatever the scheme they ran.
    It was good to see his presser before. He's in good spirits, & says he'll be ready for TC.

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If we have a shot a Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh I’ll pack his bags…

Saleh gets a D. The team collapsed and didn’t play hard for him down the stretch. Period.

Since1969 and Br4d like this.
  18. Br4d

Putting older linemen into the outside zone blocking scheme is just asking for trouble.

19. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Kubiak would make most sense for Saleh. He wouldn’t be worried about Gary taking his job. And a Gary has to get his son another job since he did so well with Russel in Denver this year.

And Kubiak absolutely knows how to make running game work.

20. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Funny reading this thread now... seeing what people thought then, as opposed to what really happened.
    I was thinking about Saleh before.
    Too many cliches for me, but seems like a likeable guy.
    What happened at the end of the season, really troubles me.
    Very simply, Saleh's an obvious scheme guy, & a good face for the Jets.
    But when things started going south, he had no answers, did nothing to shake/wake up the team, and in a sense, lost the team.
    He doesn't have good football instincts, & is fundamentally data-driven.
    To me, that's a losing approach.
    A coach has to feel it in his gut, at times, to make appropriate decisions.
    I think data-driven coaches have a lower ceiling, than those who feel the game, rather than overthink it.

My point, the Jets have the makings of a real serious talent core, for once.
    Everyone's focused on the QB.
    Yup, that's important, but who's running the show?
    As of now, I feel Saleh is the wrong guy.
    The young guys need an experienced coach, to teach them what it's all about.
    Not a coach-in-training, who is learning, as the players are wanting to take their next step.
    He needs to lead them to that next step.
    Saleh didn't show them the next step, this past season... he lead them off a cliff instead.

I can go on, but I'll leave with...
    I've been waiting for another championship, since the glue dried on my Supe III scrapbook!
    I'm gonna really hate wasting another year, on a not-ready-for-primetime HC.
    So, Saleh, ol' friend... surprise me.