Year End Grade: Mike LeFleur - OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 1, 2023.

?

Your Year End Grade for MLF

1. A+ to A-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B+ to B-

6.4%
  3. C+ to C-

28.2%
  4. D or below

65.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I believe more than you think. And if they do a HC job could potentially be in their future, These jobs are not easy to get.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and that's why I think Frank Reich just might be interested in the job. Especially knowing that Saleh is on thin ice and if things don't go right, he's already in house and would become the instant favorite for the HC job.

3. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Besides if your the New York Jets Organization a new coaching job opens up every 2 or so years. And you need limited credentials to get it.

cval likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How about an experienced - as an OC but also as a HC - coach who might think, "Well, if Saleh goes, maybe I get the job"?

At this point having Saleh's potential successor in the house might be a good thing.

Ralebird and JetFanInNE like this.
  5. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

It can also be looked at as an audition for them to be the next head coach. A team with this much talent should be a hot commodity

*Edit: or exactly what Colorado said right above

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  6. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

but will him being "in house" matter at all? If Saleh is fired, JD will be going with him and there will be a complete organizational reset

7. JohnnyP123456

what excuses? that a professional QB consistently missed flare and rose routes during several games?

Zach doesn't have to burden the whole blame for his failed development, but when you are QBing a lifeless offense, there can't be too many excuses. He was alright with AVT & Breece, but we would've masked over a ton of his deficiencies with them around.

8. ColoradoContrails

He was virtually a rookie! Of course he has deficiencies! But what did this CS do to help minimize those and maximize his strengths? Instead they did almost the opposite by trying to make Zach into a pocket QB, requiring multiple quick reads, something ANY young QB would find difficult. And it's not like he was surrounded by a great OL, or with veterans receivers he could count on to run the proper routes accurately.

And while Zach did miss some head scratching throws, he also made some great ones that MW never made. Again, would he have made better throws if he wasn't worrying about getting sacked and pressured so much, and didn't have to think so much, and instead execute a one-read offense at least until he got more experience? How do you think Fields would do in this offense (and I use him because so many Zach haters pine over the fact that we could've taken Fields over Wilson, and how much better that would be)?

And none of this is to say that Zach doesn't bear any responsibility for his struggles. Of course he does. Whatever else happens, I hope he spends this off season doing what Josh Allen did after Year 2 and hook up with a personal QB guru and work his ass off at correcting his flaws. If he doesn't, if he simply goes about enjoying his "vacation" from football, then I'll be happy to wave goodbye to a guy who doesn't want it enough to succeed.

9. JohnnyP123456

I'm okay with having the CS shoulder some blame, there were some pretty questionable decisions made with play call / structure, number of reps etc. And on that last point, wouldn't that blame then go on JD for not adequately addressing the offensive line and veteran receivers? I really find it shocking that JD is getting a free pass with the O-Line because of all the talent he drafted in the last draft. And with the Knapp tragedy, I think it is obvious that there should've been another addition, preferably experienced, for the offensive staff.

I am not trying to say Zach is not talented, quite the opposite. He has the natural ability to make some all-world throws and real flash plays. The problem with him is that his inconsistency frustrated to an extent that it became a toxic atmosphere - both with the fans and it seems with some of the other players. There is a MUCH higher ceiling with Zach than MW or JF or CS, but they provide a level of stability where Zach's game doesn't really have.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah I was thinking of Reich as well but two things come to my mind…first, he’s probably thinking more of an HC job as opposed to an OC job…I doubt he goes down a level to OC. Second, for a former QB, he’s actually failed pretty badly with QBs…part of that was his GM giving him aging or past their prime guys like Rivers, Wentz and Ryan, so not apples to apples I guess…but he hasn’t proven he could develop a QB or get good play out of older guys. Rivers did ok there I guess.

I don’t know…he probably has more of a pedigree than anyone we have and it’s worth a call, but I just don’t see it happening

11. ColoradoContrails

I agree that Douglas needs to start getting some blame. He's had 4 years to build a reliable OL and again it's a sinkhole. If, as I suspect, the problems/injuries are due to the type of offensive scheme they're using, then he needs to tell Saleh & Co to change it to make it work with the players he's gotten them.

And the stability you're looking for from Zach will come much more quickly when they start developing him properly, including especially getting someone who has experience developing NFL Qbs to work with him, and adjusting the offense to fit his current strengths and minimize his current weaknesses.

JetFanInNE and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

He may not be the best choice - someone mentioned Kubiak who might be better - but he's got to be better than what we have.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Not to single you out, but I see this posited a lot and think it's worth clarifying, but they did bring in Matt Cavanaugh, who has a long history as an NFL OC & QB coach after Greg Knapp passed. I think that was a great hire under the circumstances, on paper anyway, but they didn't retain him for 2022 and not sure how much if helped last year.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Well Zach did come back after his injury last year and played much better. We don't know how much, if any, Cavanaugh had to to with that, but not having anyone with experience developing QBs was a major failure on their part this year.

burf and Borat like this.
  15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Matt Cavanugh sounds like exactly what they need from a QB coach. It's interesting they didn't retain him. Who know what was happening behind the scenes though. All I know is they wanted to limit the voices for Zach

16. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

17. burf

burf Well-Known Member

An interesting take from GW... exactly what many of us saw...

18. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

lol if that ain’t an indictment of the coaching staff I’m not sure what is. GW better hope MLF isn’t gonna be back or he’ll be the next buried victim.

19. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

He should be fired today. That's how bad he is.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  20. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I’m actually concerned that since we haven’t heard anything he’s gonna be back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.